Does anyone know what these are

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was leaning towards the head sctratcher thing myself. Then Kazzar and stand up sounds more like common sense.
Thanks for all the replies y'all.

I agree with LDUBS they look too lightweight for motor clamps. Motor clamps probably wouldn't be stamped, they'd be forged--even on the Seagull they're forged. I could find no stamped examples in about 5 minutes of searching. These are light to medium duty. Also, as a stamped item the notches would quickly abrade a rope or line so I doubt that use. They're likely to be used in pairs with a metal rod between.
The orientation of the clamp and the notches is important and doesn't seem to work for a motor mount unless you're clamping to a horizontal, like to a deck.
I think looking at possible orientations of mounting might help. They don't seem to be sensible in some orientations and it feels most likely they'd be clamped to a horizontal base with the notch openings facing up or to a vertical base with the body hanging down.
People have joked about rod holders but my best friend's dad when I was a kid (50 years ago) trolled with 5 foot steel fishing rods. They had almost no taper and would fit in those slots.
Hopefully someone can work with those thoughts to come up with an answer.

Since we don't really know if they have any marine specific use, they could literally be for anything. Maybe they were part of a setup for a motion picture projector. Or a meat grinder in a butcher shop. Or something the air force once used. I've seen a fair amount of oddball equipment that came with weird brackets. I'm not going to re-read the whole thread, but I guess there are no numbers on them at all?

They are lantern holders to hold a Coleman gas lantern over the side of the boat when night fishing. They clamp to the gunnel of the boat and the different notches allow adjustment of the light to be the right distance from the surface of the water.
Thank you!

They are lantern holders to hold a Coleman gas lantern over the side of the boat when night fishing. They clamp to the gunnel of the boat and the different notches allow adjustment of the light to be the right distance from the surface of the
They'd have to clamp to a horizontal to work. But other than that, a lantern hanger is the likeliest idea I've seen. I'd like to see some photo confirmation. Not having any luck finding anything but may just need to find the right search term.

They are lantern holders to hold a Coleman gas lantern over the side of the boat when night fishing. They clamp to the gunnel of the boat and the different notches allow adjustment of the light to be the right distance from the surface of the water.
I disagree.
They don't look like there would let a lantern hang over enough for the lantern to clear the boat.

I disagree.
They don't look like there would let a lantern hang over enough for the lantern to clear the boat.
So this should clear things up. A Christmas present to all.

Attachments

• F0F430BE-10AA-46F7-9269-7AC6D24E1F39.png
    F0F430BE-10AA-46F7-9269-7AC6D24E1F39.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 4
  • C4823ED3-B72A-41E2-8D98-773E5E3C0674.png
    C4823ED3-B72A-41E2-8D98-773E5E3C0674.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 0
  • C3198D48-C4BA-4271-B7D9-E0F7385515A3.png
    C3198D48-C4BA-4271-B7D9-E0F7385515A3.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 1
Thank you.