Driving a Tesla

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll read more later, but I'm about to dip my toe into solar, starting with a little 300W system with two TimeUSB batteries (Or 4 if I steal two from my boat)

Will be interesting to see how it works, and how far we go with it.

I saw a recent news blurb that CA has excess solar on many days, and requiring batteries for new installations to get the incentives.

The current 30% tax credit is from the Fed's. Batteries are not required to get the credit.

As far as I know California does not offer a credit against state income taxes. There was a cut back on utility bill credits for power fed back into the grid. I heard or read the change was made because it was deemed unfair to people who could not afford solar. Don't know how true that is.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but don't the solar panels need batteries to store energy then send it out to the house?

As I understand it and put simply, when the sun is out, you are for all intents and purposes using the solar power generated by your panels. When it isn't, like at night, you are on the grid. A credit is provided for the difference between what you use and what you solar panels feed to the grid. Having battery storage means less use of the grid, so significantly lower utility bills. Sounds great, but according to my utility company's worksheet, adding batteries would more than double the cost of the system.

Even without batteries the savings in the utility bill can be pretty significant. At least, that is what I hear from family and friends who have solar. But the systems are expensive to buy so the break-even might be many years down the road.

Nothing against electric cars, but its seems like your are getting into a farady cage with massive EMF generator (electric motors).

Would be really nice to see what the EMF exposure is in an electric vchicle.

Nothing against electric cars, but its seems like your are getting into a farady cage with massive EMF generator (electric motors).

Would be really nice to see what the EMF exposure is in an electric vchicle.

If there are no pacemaker warning decals, probably low exposure.

Not surprising there is a regulation regarding allowable EMF's. From what I read, electric cars are way below that limit. That is what I read on the internet, so don't quote me.

Infrastructure matters!

Most electric vechile have to have around 50000 miles on them before they get to net zero.

The scam is mandating a vechile with little or no supported infrastructure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240720_151614_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240720_151614_Facebook.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
Infrastructure matters!

That, at least in my state, is the critical missing component. Our utility can't even keep up with current demand. The mandate would mean about 20 million electric cars in California within the next 8 to 10 years. For all practical purposes, a 220V charging circuit is going to be needed in every garage or parking space for those 20 million e-vehicles. The cost of doing that will exceed $30 billion. If our state gov't gets involved, probably 3 times that. And, if by some miracle the charging circuits are installed our utility is nowhere near able to handle the load. I know, I know. Just minor details.

In Germany they have an emissions sticker, green, yellow, and red (in addition to their inspection stickers). They have cities that ban/restrict cars based on their emissions since 2008.

https://www.germanemissionssticker.com/

Wouldn't it be smart to do they same with a city like LA/NY/Dallas, and learn how to develop working infrastructure on a small scale.

In Germany they have an emissions sticker, green, yellow, and red (in addition to their inspection stickers). They have cities that ban/restrict cars based on their emissions since 2008.

Wouldn't it be smart to do they same with a city like LA/NY/Dallas, and learn how to develop working infrastructure on a small scale.

Ummmmm.....you're using the word "smart", while trying to suggest something a collective of ego-filled "leaders" should be trying to do. If I may be so bold.....think about that for a minute.

Roger

A balanced approach is best. This all-in attempt to completely change everything like throwing a switch is simply not going to work.

When making the comparison with Europe, one of the major differences is the cost and roadblocks we have to deal with to get infrastructure improvements. I can't remember the exact numbers, but the cost of laying a mile of track in Europe vs America is head shaking. Just look at California's bullet train to nowhere. Almost 15 years. Billions spent already. Not a mile of track laid. Lots of people making lots of money for a train that, if it is ever completed, few will use because it will take 3 times longer than flying and tickets will likely cost more.

Once they get the battery issues solved they will be great for local driving and for delivery services. Cross country driving and waiting for a charge is not appealing. Like any vehicle, they have a time and a place. The self driving feature is going to become a nightmare before long. The lawyers are already putting together cases before an accident happens. I hear they can be very fast !!

You remember the ni-cad battery drills we had 20 years ago? Heavy, clunky, didn't last worth a crap. Current lithium tools will blow them out of the water. I feel like that's the phase EVs are in right now. In a decade they might be something.