Floatation Pods Updated 9-2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your pods look great. I did the same thing to my Alumacraft 1546. A 15" transom and a 25hp 4-stroke motor was a scary combination. Then I added a tilt & trim unit for more weight, really scary combination. The pods solved all the problems, I can even step out on them when nature calls. I hate peeing on my own boat #-o . Great job, my daughter says she'll help post pics of mine soon.

DenisD said:
Your pods look great. I did the same thing to my Alumacraft 1546. A 15" transom and a 25hp 4-stroke motor was a scary combination. Then I added a tilt & trim unit for more weight, really scary combination. The pods solved all the problems, I can even step out on them when nature calls. I hate peeing on my own boat #-o . Great job, my daughter says she'll help post pics of mine soon.

Thanks. I discovered the same usefulness also when nature called. I jumped out of the boat to measure the draft (OK, I was looking for an excuse, it was HOT) and discovered they make a great platform to get back into the boat.

Sounds like nothing but good results, I love it when that happens! :D I would try a fixed jack plate to get your motor higher, I bet you get your MPH back. Great report!

Those look awesome!

A set of those and a jack plate would do wonders for my duck boat!

Great post and thanks for posting photos =D>

I finally finished my jackplate after two attempts. The first attempt failed because there wasn't enough set back and the clamps on the motor hit the transom. It looks sweet, but this will be another thread. I haven't bolted it to the transom yet. I ran out of time today.

Finished picture with transducer mounted, padding (my motor hits the stops before it hits the pod, but if you push hard enough, it will scratch the paint) and jack plate. Link to jack plate https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10425

I'll give it the ultimate sea trial the 24th. A little over a week fishing the Florida Flats. :D

Attachments

• 2009_0913platejack0013.JPG
    2009_0913platejack0013.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 2,346
I am looking to fab some pods as well. I have a 16 foot lowe, it is a tru flat at teh transom with no vee. Do you recomend this? If so what pointers do you have I should know of? Also I plan on welding the pods to the boat rather then bolting. Is this a bad idea?

River Rider said:
I am looking to fab some pods as well. I have a 16 foot lowe, it is a tru flat at teh transom with no vee. Do you recomend this? If so what pointers do you have I should know of? Also I plan on welding the pods to the boat rather then bolting. Is this a bad idea?

I would definitely recommend pods. They are a extensive project. They should do better on your flat than my Vee. I will eventually weld my pods. I bolted them because I didn't know if I would like them and I had never attempted anything like this. I can patch a few bolt holes a lot easier than a weld all the way around. All I had was a picture and advice from Sparkbr to go off of. Sparkbr sells pods also. I probably would have been better off buying a set of pods, but I'm a do it yourself kind of guy and enjoy challenges.

I will help you antway I can. I will not have computer access after tomorrow until Oct. the 3rd.

caver101 said:
Who/what is "Sparkbr"?? I would like to take a look at his pods.

Sparkbr is a member here on Tinboats. He is a super nice guy. PM him and he should be able to help you.

Speknreds I hope you are enjoying your fishing. I know you won't be able to answer this till Oct. 3 or so, but when you get this I was wondering what gauge aluminum you used for your pods. I have been trying to get different opinions on this because I was given some aluminum to make some with but I want to make sure it is heavy enough for the job. I believe it is 10 or 12 gauge I was given. I know it is twice as thick as the aluminum my boat is made from. Thanks.

River Rider I m rick50, I did the welding on the flotation pods for specksnreds. The material thickness he used is 1/8 (.125). Don t know if you know this or not ,but 10 gauge is .134 and 12 gauge is .104. Hope this helps.

Thank you. Yes sir I knew that, just around here some guys go by gauge, but I noticed alot of people on here use go the other way. Either way thanks for the help.

rusmir said:
i love it great idea .. how much did it cost u and what material did u use again

Thanks

The project didn't cost me anything except for paying rick50 to do the welding. All of the material was given to me. I really can't help you with the cost. I could have had a set custom made for my boat for around $300. This included everything.

I got a quick question for you. I am finally getting back to my pods, and I am about to seal them up, but I think they are heavy. How much did yours weigh a piece before you put them on your boat? I want to make sure I am not adding too much weight when i am already trying to accomedate for my big butt...