Floatation Pods Updated 9-2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
River Rider said:
I got a quick question for you. I am finally getting back to my pods, and I am about to seal them up, but I think they are heavy. How much did yours weigh a piece before you put them on your boat? I want to make sure I am not adding too much weight when i am already trying to accomedate for my big butt...

I'm not sure. They were not very heavy at all. I'm guessing under 20lbs a piece. .125 thick aluminum weighs 1.76 lbs per sq. ft.

Has anybody heard anything from boyd welding in a while? https://www.boydwelding.com/products.html

They sell a set of pre-fab pods for a pretty sweet price. I have called and emailed.....no answer or returned call. Anybody know of anybody else that has a set for about the same price?

Dyeguy why would you want to jynx a brother like that? Thanks Spec. Mine are well under 20 lbs, I just wanted to make sure mine are not turning out too heavy. I once I get back to the house I will post the latest on the pods I made as well as some of what I have fabbed on my boat. Seems the beggining of this year has been crazy.

River Rider said:
Dyeguy why would you want to jynx a brother like that? Thanks Spec. Mine are well under 20 lbs, I just wanted to make sure mine are not turning out too heavy. I once I get back to the house I will post the latest on the pods I made as well as some of what I have fabbed on my boat. Seems the beggining of this year has been crazy.

Not a jinx... but you'd sort of deserve it for not taking it into account :lol:

Dyegye you know you tend to be a little harsh. Hence the question about the weight... I was asking before the mistake was made.

look at the laughy face.. it means I was joking :wink: :lol:

I'm not the type to think any question is a dumb question. Regardless, my opinion shouldn't matter much.. its the internet :|

I realize I'm hopping on this thread 2 years late, but wanted ask question or two. First, nice job with the pods Speck! I have an Alumacraft 1448 modv and was seriously considering pods. Fish a really shallow river and from what I: ve read, the pods could really decrease my draft....especially since I am only running an15HP. What were you pods dimensions?

Thanks,

I sold that boat last month. I sold it to a good friend so I could get him to measure it.

The pods raised my transom freeboard by over 4" and allowed me to plane out in a foot of water. The guy who bought it put a poling platform on the back. I was shocked that it supported all of that weight directly over the motor/transom. He cannot get over how shallow the boat floats. It floats in water so shallow that it is impossible to use a trolling motor.

The only reason I sold it was that they ban boats this small in most tournaments I fish. I also have 3 other boats. It was just sitting and we know that isn't good.

Specknreds said:
Thanks,

I sold that boat last month. I sold it to a good friend so I could get him to measure it.

The pods raised my transom freeboard by over 4" and allowed me to plane out in a foot of water. The guy who bought it put a poling platform on the back. I was shocked that it supported all of that weight directly over the motor/transom. He cannot get over how shallow the boat floats. It floats in water so shallow that it is impossible to use a trolling motor.

The only reason I sold it was that they ban boats this small in most tournaments I fish. I also have 3 other boats. It was just sitting and we know that isn't good.

Thanks Speck. I found dimensions for pods on Beavertail's website and took them to a welding shop here in town. He told me the pair would run me at least $1000(!!!) to make! Apparently aluminum is pricey right now. Personally, I just don't think he wanted to mess with a little project like this. I was shocked considering I can by a pair from Beavertail for under $300. He also said he would not (literally said he would not weld the pods to my boat) b/c he would never get a good weld since my boat wasn't brand new & has been in the water. Needless to say I was/am a little disappointed. Guess I'll be saving a bit more money, buying from Beavertail, and bolting them to my transom -- not crazy about that idea either!

Mine are just bolted. I'm a big guy and I can stand on mine. They made a great swim platform while diving in the springs in Florida.

Sweet! Now I really want pods on my 1448 mod v. mine has all the issues mentioned above and I too fish a shallow river pretty Mich exclusively.

Hey I am curious what gauge and what type of metal used? Thinking about making these for my Jonboat. Thanks in advance!

If you start a new thread you'll probably get more attention. To answer your question, sides should be .09 to .100 and the bottoms should be .125. 5056 is best but 6061 will work too.

I had some home made ones on for a while (I was able to fix issue with motor trim). I just bolted at top, above waterline, & used epoxy glue below that. Caulked with urethane all around. When I removed them several years later it was a real chore to pry them off. No damage to hull aluminum.

I'm making a set for my boat now. The bottoms will be about 3/16 inch thick on these and will have internal gussets inside that will run from the transom out to the end. The sides will be .100 thick. These will hold up to the sunken stumps I'll be fishing next year.

At the risk of hi-jacking this discussion is there a rule of thumb or something about the size of the pods. So just as an example, suppose someone is concerned that hanging the new four-stroke off the transom is going to add 50 pounds. I wonder how big should the pods be to offset that. I assume that the additional hull area on the water has an impact in addition to the added flotation.