Floatation Pods Updated 9-2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water weighs about 8.3 pounds per gallon so if you make a pod that holds 6 gallons of water that gives you roughly 48 pounds of displacement per pod. Take that times two and you get displacement equivalent to 96 pounds minus what ever the pods weigh. You can calculate it closer but it's close enough to suffice using the outlined method. Flotation also depends where on the transom you place the pod to offset the weight. The higher up on the transom you go with placement of the pods the lower the transom is allowed to sink into the water lessening their effectiveness. If they're placed at the bottom of the hull you maximize flotation earlier on. I prefer to use a full height pod when possible that becomes an extension of the hull. These will provide moreflotation the deeper the transom sinks into the water the more of the pod that is placed into the water to offset the weight.

eeshaw said:
Water weighs about 8.3 pounds per gallon so if you make a pod that holds 6 gallons of water that gives you roughly 48 pounds of displacement per pod. Take that times two and you get displacement equivalent to 96 pounds minus what ever the pods weigh. You can calculate it closer but it's close enough to suffice using the outlined method. Flotation also depends where on the transom you place the pod to offset the weight. The higher up on the transom you go with placement of the pods the lower the transom is allowed to sink into the water lessening their effectiveness. If they're placed at the bottom of the hull you maximize flotation earlier on. I prefer to use a full height pod when possible that becomes an extension of the hull. These will provide moreflotation the deeper the transom sinks into the water the more of the pod that is placed into the water to offset the weight.

Instructional -- thanks!

eeshaw said:
I'm making a set for my boat now. The bottoms will be about 3/16 inch thick on these and will have internal gussets inside that will run from the transom out to the end. The sides will be .100 thick. These will hold up to the sunken stumps I'll be fishing next year.

about much much $ is it running you?

I had made some prototypes from plywood and have since taken them off. On my jetjon, it affected the steering too much for my liking.

Has any of the outboard guys noticed any change to the steering effort?

The cost varies. You can buy the aluminum and it will depend where you live and where you buy it. I prefer to use aluminum that can be repurposed, like I'll buy a boat with no title for next to nothing and cut out the bench seats for material, the rest of it gets scrapped. Around here if you buy a sheet (4x8) of .125 it can run you around $300. Pass!

I've never noticed any adverse effects from having pods but I'm pretty judicious about their placement and the way they're built. No abrupt changes to the waterline will help to keep the water flowing. Sounds like yours might be digging in on a turn. I try to avoid sharp edges and keep any sharp edges to the inside of the pod and up high.

Yea mine were dual purpose, floatation + trim tabs. So they did dig in & made steering less responsive. I changed my tactic & added a metal trim tab to the ride plate (of the jet ski tunnel) & that got the porpoising problem under control. So I was able to ditch the pods, which were only plywood & foam board. They surprisingly held up pretty well; I used them for a year.

Latest posts