Gotta get ready for gator season!!! 14'flat bottom/johnson25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that sounds really great I can't wait to take him out in our new boat. Where in ms are you located. I'm in summit.

thats cool not too far away maybe when im done we can all go throw some lines. my boy loves fishing and we've never been salt water fishing.

Ive got a few questions if anyone could help me out.

First what is probably the biggest motor i could put on this boat?
Second when i tor out the floor there was stirofoam board under it do i need this or no?
I am wanting to put a steering console in where is a good place to order the stering components from?
And last can any one estimate the year and model of my motor as i canot find anything but the serial number?

I'd say no more than a 25. I assume the capacity plate is gone. I'd measure the width of the bottom and look at some boat manufacturer websites for their max hp on that size. For example, a tracker 1436 is rated for a 15hp. Some lighter weight versions are rated for 10. A Fisher 1432 is rated for a 6hp. Most 1442s and 1448s are rated for up to a 25hp. There is a serial number - year cross reference on the johnson/evinrude website. Give me the number if you need some help finding it. Does the motor run or stand a chance of it?

it is supposed to run. The guy i got it from said it runs but it has sat up for a while and i should replace all the fuel lines and rubber. but im not sure. how much do you think that will cost? also the number is 25902D-E09736. Thanks for your help.

You have an 1969 Evinrude. 25902D is the model number. E09736 is the serial number.

I hope it turns out to be a good one. I wouldn't replace anything I didn't have to before trying it out. The Evinrude website has parts diagrams (which you can learn a lot from). You can order from them or any other online supplier. NAPA also carries a lot of aftermarket parts. It probably needs a good carb cleaning. Any cracked or rotten hoses do need to be replaced. Maybe a new spark plug-champion j4j. You may need some fuel pump parts and a water pump impeller or more likely the whole pump kit. Don't ever crank it out of water. You'll have to run it in a bucket or something because this one won't work with the normal water hose motor flusher. The water intake is in the trim tab above the prop. It doesn't have a tell-tale, so I don't know how to know if it's pumping like it should. I can't tell where the water comes out. Maybe someone on this board has one and can tell you. Post a question in the motor section. If you get it running, drain and re-fill the lower unit oil then check it occasionally for water (milky looking).

Thanks Ben you have been great help. I really appreciat it.
Well i almost got my back deck finished today and it started raining, and ran out of wood. but I'm very happy so far on how its comming out. still so much to be done. Every morning i go out there and Im like oh my god where to start. I have so many ideas. Well here is some pics from today.Picture 001.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,694
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,694
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,694
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,694
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,694
Well got the back deck done today. still have to seall everything but it is done and started on the front deck, and priced the middle floor. its going to be stained wood for the back deck and main floor and carpent around the speakers and on the front deck. also came up with a name since its going to have really nice hard wood flooring its going to be "REDNECK LUXURY"!

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,681
  • IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,681
ive never seen anyone do decking like that on a jon boat before but it looks sweet! good work cant wait to see it finished

Yeah iv never seen it before either i was really happy onve it was down it really looks better that i thought it would.
-

Hey now theres an idea idont know if their in any of the pics but i do have about 500 tiles stacked behined the boat. LOL. but man that would be heavy.

finially whent and got some gas and oil and tried to get the motors running today. got the 25 to crank and halfway run for a min. and found that theres no fire in one ofe the plug wires. could this just be the coil? also the 4.5 cranked but isnt pumping gas. got it to run for a few mins but dies due to no fuel. also if anyone knows how or enjoys working on these they are for sale i would like to sell both to get me a nice running 40hp. If anyone is around Mississippi and looking for one here they are. I would be nice if i could find someone who had a 40hp that just wanted a smaller motor and we could do some "horse trading" but Im not that lucky. lol oh well i priced the coil for the 25 and its ony $30 bucks. not to bad but for someone whos trying to do this build as cheap as posible $30 buck is alot. hell im only in this build so far $450 and im trying to use wood i have laying around. not bad but i really didnt have the $450 to start with but hell I WANTED A BOAT. And thats what i told the old lady. didnt go over very well but i got my boat. lol

I think the 40 will be too much motor and way too heavy for a 14' jon. Think I'd try to get that 25 going. Then I could get more $ for it if I didn't like it. You may find it's plenty for that boat.

Thanks for the tip. im going to start looking for that part. that should be the prob if that one wire has no fire right? iv never worked on these motors but it is basicly a lawnmower engin right, same basics? and also iv been looking around the site alot and have been seeing alot of these outboard jets what is the difference, benifet,downfall of these compared to a prop. are they better or not?