I want to buy a boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo_86_05

Reaction score
I am new to boating. I've been in one a few times running lines, but never fished from one. I found a deal on a 14ft Jon boat. Don't know the width yet. Checking on that tomorrow. I will be using it mainly in a river and in small chutes. I am 5'10 150 lbs. I have a buddy that is about 6'1 and 300 lbs. is that too much for a 14 ft Jon? What size motor do I need? I don't care about speed, I just want to get up and down the river. I was referred here from a member at crappie.com. Thanks in advance!

OK mo, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen unless you get the right boat. IMO The wider the better to offset your friend's weight and you inexperience with a boat. I am just making a comment. A nice 14X48 would be perfect with a 9.9 or 15hp outboard makes a very good package. Good luck finding your dream boat. BrazosDon

Attachments

• dh1448mv.jpg
    dh1448mv.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 266
Well here goes... I have a 10ft lowe jon boat. I am 5'11 170# My brother in law is 6' 250-280 depending on how close to the holidays it is. We have fished from it together with a battery, trolling motor, rods tackle and seats. It gets tippy when I stand. I have only felt like my life was in danger once. On lake Calabogie in Ontario. It was calm when we started across the lake. About halfway across the sun came out and the wind started blowing caps on the water. He had to lay in the bottom and we limped to the nearest dock and waited 3 hrs until it calmed down. A 14ft jon will handle you and your friend. The question is how comfortable are you with getting close to the boats max weight. I exceed it often.