looking at a jet convesion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, it's hard to say how your engine will like the pump and how the pump will like the hull. It's all about getting the pressurized water out the nozzle.

Honestly don't think the people at outboard jet really know everything about how there pumps perform on a actual boat. I've tried calling and talking to them about getting some more performance out of my setup and what I've done and what gains I've seen and the first thing they tell me is take out the stainless impeller because its slowing you down. I've gained at least 1mph on every boat I've ever run a stainless in. I'm talking back to back runs brand new impellers. I couldn't convince them of that. Not saying they don't know anything about them because I'm sure they got a pretty good idea on general performance but I don't know that I'd take there word as the gossypol.

at this point im wondering if its worth the $1700 risk. my boat is pushing 700 lbs with two batteries, 24v trolling motor, and decking. may just fish this year with the prop and look for a 50/35 jet, or a welded jet package already put together.

staring at the chart on outboard jets, it looks like 35hp would be 1050 or so pounds, not 900. is anyone else seeing this? ive been told the 3 cylinder 35 is closer to a 40 than a 35, but i just dont want to be stuck with a $1700 jet pump that wont move my boat. this is really something i wish i could test out and send back if it doesnt work.

I did have a 1970 omc 25 hp 2 cylinder on this boat for a few weeks, and it even planed it out fine. that was a crankshaft measured 25, vs the prop shaft 35 i have now. it would do about 25 mph. if i got too much weight in the back, i just had my passenger move to the front and it immediately planed out.

Call this guy up and ask him how his performed...

https://winchester.craigslist.org/boa/4221479327.html

For your hull I'd get rid of the 3/4" plywood and go aluminum if you go for the jet conversion (heck I'd do it anyways). I'd also just keep my eyes open for jet boats for sale and buy a used one before selling your hull.

This is about the worst time of year to go boat shopping. How much do you have in your setup now?

i paid 1900 for the new hull.. motor was free, trolling motor, two side finders was about 3 grand, but they'd transfer to a new boat. i believe ill look for a 50/35, or just buy a welded jet in a year or two and keep my riveted so i have options. i fish stonewall jackson every year, and the prop is nice to have up there for when it gets rough.

im completely happy with how it runs with a prop, what would be the benefit to removing the 3/8" plywood and replacing it with $300 of aluminum?

Benefit is probably around 1" of draft and it'll plane out easier without the extra weight. At the side my hull drafts 1.5", yeah, two knuckles deep. It's around 4" in the center. I've anchored at spots where my mushroom anchor isn't completely under water.

Perhaps you should just put a rock guard on your motor and work you way up through the nasties at idle? I've seen a bunch of small jon's idle up past the quarry. I've also seen full bore jet hulls belly in on the ridge lines (ugly)...

There's several miles of water from the islands down and most prop guys only see 2 of it.

yeah, ive had the boat the whole way up to the dam. run up to the ledge before the bend where the sand bar is.. trim up and idle through, or get out and pull, then go to the spring, and pull the boat through that riffle and idle up past the rail road trusses. can pretty much idle the whole way past the little conococheague and up to the dam.

right now my boat drafts about 5 -6" total. id like to put in a lighter floor all around, but im not sure i'd have the tools to cut the metal or anything precisely.

i mostly fish williamsport area in the spring and run up the conococheague to catch the big spawning largemouths right below the 63 bridge. id like to fish the paw paw/bonds landing area early in the spring, and if the water is up, im sure i can idle my way through.

the majority of the year i fish shepherdstown since its 3 miles from my house, and i know that area of the river well enough that i run wot the whole way up past snyders, and early in the year, i've taken it the whole way to dam 4.

I just saw a Johnson 50/35 pop up for sale around here on Craigslist. I forget if it was a short shaft or a long shaft though.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339196#p339196 said:
JoshKeller » 20 Jan 2014, 17:45[/url]"]Excellent. Most say it works. A few say it won't. Called outboard jets to figure out exactly how much it will cost, and the girl swore up and down it wouldn't plane, even though another guy from there said it'd be fine. If it planed out easily with a 25 prop, does that mean it'd run approximately the same speed and plane as easily if it was 25 HP at the jet pump?

I HEAR YA... I called outboard jets numerous times and everytime I talked to that lady (not sure of the name) I got the same response you did, this won't plane that won't plane etc... The guy you need to talk to name is Brian. He was the most helpful. He spent a good amount of time on the phone answering all my questions. The lady wasn't much help.

I pretty much decided I'm going to just get another boat next spring and not give outboard jets my money directly. The lady telling me "its you're money, waste it if you want" was enough to sour me on the company

I would say she was actually giving you good advice.. and i agree with her. She was trying to save you money by telling you the truth, regardless of how she said it or worded it or how you took it.. a 25/18 would not be enough to even plane that rig let alone you adding gear etc. You'd be blowing $1700 on the foot then youd have to try to sell it for a loss..

As said above.. Brian is the man.. ive been emailing him and doing business directly with OBJ for years now and have zero complaints.

Good choice on getting what you want instead of trying to make what you got "get by".

[url=https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339385#p339385 said:
Canoeman » Today, 14:16[/url]"]I would say she was actually giving you good advice.. and i agree with her. She was trying to save you money by telling you the truth, regardless of how she said it or worded it or how you took it.. a 25/18 would not be enough to even plane that rig let alone you adding gear etc. You'd be blowing $1700 on the foot then youd have to try to sell it for a loss..

As said above.. Brian is the man.. ive been emailing him and doing business directly with OBJ for years now and have zero complaints.

Good choice on getting what you want instead of trying to make what you got "get by".

yeah, i agree, but the way the lady just kept on saying it even though i was not even talking about it anymore just kind of gave me the impression she was a ***** lol. and it wasnt for a 25/18 hp, it was a 35/25

[url=https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339605#p339605 said:
smackdaddy53 » 50 minutes ago[/url]"]For $1700 you could find a good used outboard jet and motor.

maybe in texas, but not in this part of the world - they are bought up as soon as they are put for sale if they are in good condition. ive talked to a few dealers about getting a 40/30 or a 50/35, and they actually recommended me putting the jet pump on my motor if its just a few times a year and i was really just interested in planing out. they said my two stroke was putting out a few more hp than 35 (likely around 38), and will be very close, if not a tiny bit better, than a 40/30 4 stroke.

an employee at mare told me that since my boat is only rated for a 35, he has no doubt i'd plane out with the 35/25 conversion - also told me not to let that motor go, because its a sweetheart and i wont see another one.

i know this has been beat to death, but what are your thoughts on this chart? the 4 stroke yamaha 40/30 pushes this 800 lb bare hull/1500 lb package to 27 mph. wouldnt my 35 3 cylinder push a 700 lb loaded boat similar? my biggest concern in this investment is being able to get on plane. if its slow, i can deal with that, as long as i can run shallower than with my prop. if its 20 mph but stays on plane, im okay with that. this is simply for a once in a while fishing areas, 90% of the time i will be running my prop set up.

https://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_midthrustjetport_jet-drive_g3b_1656ccjdlx_f40jea_2011-06-13_alm.pdf

Looking at the chart, 10+ seconds to hit 20 mph means you are going to be digging holes for a long time trying to get the hull to climb the hill of water so it'll plane out. I also seriously doubt you 2 stroke has the same power curve as the 4 stroke so that chart's value is dubious.

For skinny water you want a power plant that can pop the hull out of the water very quickly without digging a hole, then you throttle it back to around 3/4 so you have some reserve maneuvering power and you're not pushing the engine too hard (nor the fuel consumption).

looks like i have really no other option than to buy a second boat. giving up the prop isnt an option, and im limited to 35 hp with a prop.

to update, i found a 50/35 and bought it this evening. Now i just need to figure out if i want to fix up the boat it came with (1648 fisher markv2 set up open floor plan) or put the motor on my alumacraft and sell the boat.....

Latest posts