Looking at new sonar

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gramps50 said:
I found the list when looking at the transducer https://store.humminbird.com/products/313988/XNT_9_QB_90_T

My guess is that it's old technology that didn't pan out, I found this advert video that is dated 2008 https://store.humminbird.com/products/271310/140c_Fishin%27_Buddy, the way I heard it in the advert was that it ended up being twice the depth

What about a Fishing Buddy you can point it in the direction you want to look https://store.humminbird.com/products/271310/140c_Fishin%27_Buddy

You might be better off with one of those underwater cameras, just a thought.....
I ran in to a guy out fishing earlier this spring that was using one of those. We talked for a bit and he showed me how it worked briefly, but I couldn't remember the name of it to save my life. That indeed might be the answer to what I'm looking for. Thanks Gramps.

wihil said:
Humminbird's Quadrabeam transducer (P# XNT9QB90 and T) work with the following units:

1157c
1158c
300 TX
400 TX
747c
757c
777c2
778C
778c HD
787c2
787c2I
788C
788ci
788ci HD
917C
931C
931C DF
937C
937C DF
958c
MATRIX 35
MATRIX 37
PiranhaMax 180 (tri beam only)
WIDE OPTIC
WIDE PANORAMA
WIDE PARAMOUNT
WIDE PORTRAIT
WIDE VIEW
WIDE VISION

Basically it adds the additional 35deg sonar cones on top of each side of the 83Khz (60deg) cone to open up the field of view to 90deg of coverage, offering a true 2:1 ratio of the bottom. Eg, if you're in 4' of water, you'll have 8' on the screen. In 8', you'd have 16', etc etc.

It does open your field of view, but it's not side scan by any means. I read a lot of concern about the narrowness of the cone angle at the extreme edge of the beam, as you'll loose a lot of the water column above the angle.
Thanks for posting that info. That is the conclusion I came to also, after reading about it.

Just ordered a Humminbird 597ci HD DI now I have to wait 5-8 business days for it to arrive. I'm excited. :-D

Gramps50 said:
Just ordered a Humminbird 597ci HD DI now I have to wait 5-8 business days for it to arrive. I'm excited. :-D
Good stuff - great unit, I think you're really going to like the DI.

fender66 said:
Gramps50 said:

Congrats Gramps.....you're going to like that unit.

You may have to teach me how to use it. :p

Gramps,

I think you may a great choice. I have the same unit and really like the DI and 2d simultaneous views. It helps you learn the DI by watching it side-by-sie with the traditional 2d sonar view.

i am considering the same unit, how is it in sunlight? Also, what do you think is the best map software to get, i am not interested in lakes as much as the intercoastal areas in NE FL. thanks.

the display is adequate in sun - could be a little brighter when the sun is directly shinning on it. For maps I use the navionics edition, but I only fish inland lakes.

thx for the input, looks like i will get this one instead of the elite 5. tough decision. Not sure if any of them do really well in direct sunlight but i just wanted to be sure that the screen doesnt turn black if it gets too hot, it can get pretty warm here in FL and my hand held GPS will become unusable if left in the sun too long, the screen will turn black and the unit will eventually shut off. hope this one doesnt do that. thanks.

My bud's Elite 5 was plenty bright on the boat today, we were in the 90's with full sun. I could see it no problem from the bow (mounted at the consol).

I do like Humminbird's dual sonar setup with 2D and DI.

Gramps, I have a HB 798CI DI combo w/side imaging and couldn't be happier.
It is in direct sun and gets pretty hot, but has not been affected.
As noted, the HB forums are very active and customer support is 1st rate.
As for the unit, more pixels is better and my eyes need all that my pocketbook can afford.
About bottom coverage,
the 20 degrees transducer only shows an area equal to 1/2 the depth,
(10ft deep = 5 feet coverage)
The 60 degree beam covers an area equal to the depth 10' = 10'
The 90 degree Quad Beam covers an area 2 times the depth 10' deep = 20' coverage.

Side imaging is a whole nother animal and will cover an area 125' either side of the boat
from the surface to the bottom. I use that for the flats, so in 2' of water I can see fish
on either side of the boat up to 125' away.
Sorry for the lengthy read....Jerry

Jonboat:

I've read where SI doesn't do that well in shallow water, does the sand bottom in the flats make a difference?? Can you post up a screen shot or 2 please???

Got the new HB 597ci HD DI yesterday, spent the afternoon and evening installing it to the TM. I didn't use the TM mount that HB makes but bought a Rig Rite bracket off Amazon. The bracket is sturdy and will work with just about any transducer with a few modifications. In my case I had to shorten the 2 long plastic spacers to get the DI transducer to fit and tighten up. It didn't come with any sort of padding between the bracket and the TM so I added a rubber pad, maybe not be necessary but I thought it should have one. The bracket is all metal and powder coated, I think, my TM motor is rather small but the bracket will fit much larger TMs.

Took the 597 out for a test drive today and was pretty happy with it until I tried to adjust the transducer a little as I wasn't getting good fish arches but if I turned on Fish ID I could see them. Seemed that only part of the arch was showing & remember reading somewhere that it meant that your transducer wasn't adjusted right. This mount doesn't have clicks like the HB mount so it's a little touchier to adjust. Anyway I got it out of whack and that was basically the end if it. MY TM shaft isn't perbindicuar so it's a little harder to eyeball the transducer to get it level with the bottom of the boat.. Came home and made some more adjustments with a plump line so maybe it will be better tomorrow.

Here's a couple of shot from the simulator, forgot to take the SD card this morning.

DI screen
S00001.PNG

Split DI/2D
S00002.PNG

Now to learn how to use it

Readjusted the transducer last night and did not play with it all day. When I first started today the unit was acting a little crazy, the depth would change for 18' to 4' back to 16' then maybe 6' just bouncing around. The lake was calm and the water was like a sheet of glass so there was no real reason for the variation. I did a factory reset and all was then fine. I guess that yesterday I got something out of whack.

Fishing was really slow today so I spent some time trolling around looking at the screen. Still not getting real good fish arches, yet if I switch to Fish ID it shows fish. I turned the sensitivity down to get rid of some of the clutter. I'll keep playing with it and see what happens.

Here's some screen shots for the unit actually working.

Readjusted the transducer last night and did not play with it all day. When I first started today the unit was acting a little crazy, the depth would change for 18' to 4' back to 16' then maybe 6' just bouncing around. The lake was calm and the water was like a sheet of glass so there was no real reason for the variation. I did a factory reset and all was then fine. I guess that yesterday I got something out of whack.

Fishing was really slow today so I spent some time trolling around looking at the screen. Still not getting real good fish arches, yet if I switch to Fish ID it shows fish. I turned the sensitivity down to get rid of some of the clutter. I'll keep playing with it and see what happens.

Here's some screen shots for the unit actually working.
S00003.PNG

S00004.PNG

S00005.PNG

S00006.PNG

S00007.PNG

Latest posts