MINE ALL MINE!!! Lowe 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inlovewithsurfin said:
Sorry for hijacking your thread with pics but you wanted to see the bass :) Ok I see. Yeah, just using a 55lb thrust trolling motor I dont have an issue with planing.... I was more concerned with my rear sitting low in the boat.

if you are planning on putting in a front deck with 3/4in plywood that adds some weight to the front of the boat and helps out! also if you take a passenger when you fish that will help as well! i keep the battery in the back of all of my boats and havent had any problems with weight distribution yet...
i weight 170 and my battery is a BIG deep cycle that weights a ton! lol..[/quote]

Thats another thing I go back and forth with...adding a front deck. I think im just going to put carpeted plywood on all the benches for now, with the pedestal mounts. I seemed to be ok standing on the ply floor and fishing, let me see how it goes. I may rig a front deck I can take out so I have options, depending on who im fishing with or alone. I love the flexibility these boats have...

my first boat "Buckshot" had a removable front deck but i found that i never fished without the deck so on my other boats i just screwed them down and if i do have to remove them for some reason its just 4 screws and it will lift right out.

inlovewithsurfin said:
my first boat "Buckshot" had a removable front deck but i found that i never fished without the deck so on my other boats i just screwed them down and if i do have to remove them for some reason its just 4 screws and it will lift right out.
What size lumber do you use to brace your deck?

well if you use 3/4in plywood then it is sturdy enough that you dont need any bracing. on my 1430 i cut out the front hatch and had it rest on the middle bench so it didnt need any bracing. on my 1436 i couldnt do that cause of my livewell so i used 1x4 to create a lip for the hatch to rest on.

as far as rot goes... i am not a veteran in the jon boat field... and i do know that non treated wood is going to rot! however i feel that it will last long enough to get lots of use out of it and when the time comes to replace maybe i will have some better ideas in mind by then? im hoping for at least 2 years :)

i did treat the wood on my 1430 with thompson's water seal but i know that stuff isnt the greatest :/

if you want to build your boat to last forever there are good products out there that will seal the wood and allow many years of use! or use aluminum for everything if you have the money haha...

Some boats need weight.

My 14' mirrocraft is like standing on a workout ball when it's empty, if you put 400lbs of gear and me in it then it's almost as stabile as my 19' SeaPro

Buddychrist said:
Some boats need weight.

My 14' mirrocraft is like standing on a workout ball when it's empty, if you put 400lbs of gear and me in it then it's almost as stabile as my 19' SeaPro

i completely agree! my 12ft became so stable after all the added weight!

so... in the process of re-building my boat i discovered that the previous owner didnt know that aluminum and pressure treated wood dont mix!!! here is a picture of what happens to the aluminum... this was all under the pressure treated wood that was screwed down the the back bench

mine52.jpg

also got some work done on the back deck :) just needs carpet and a little fine tuning and the wood part of my build will be done!

mine50.jpg

mine51.jpg

i originally was thinking of using hinges on the back hatch but have since decided that it will be more of a back lid... it will sit in place and when i need to access the fuel tank and the battery it will simply just lift out. i would have had to cut a big opening for the lid to clear the outboard and i wanted as little of a hole for things to fall down and get lost as possible.

ya.... unfortunately it is OSB... i went as cheap as possible this route and i may regret it? but for now it works good... it may last a whole lot longer coated in spar urethane. when this stuff rots i will re-do everything the right way! i just wanted to get this done to fish on before winter.

inlovewithsurfin said:
ya.... unfortunately it is OSB... i went as cheap as possible this route and i may regret it? but for now it works good... it may last a whole lot longer coated in spar urethane. when this stuff rots i will re-do everything the right way! i just wanted to get this done to fish on before winter.

I've got an untreated sheet of OSB that's been laying in the back of my pickup for 10 years; it's handled Canadian winters, the dogs, and everything I've thrown on it! That board might be on there longer than you think :lol:

Brandon said:
Hey man. Where are you buying your carpet and how much is it? I also saw buckshot on CL :)

the black(dark grey) carpet in my 1430 and in this boat came from lowes... its outdoor carpet and comes pre-cut in rolls 6'x8' for $18 a roll...

did you see "buckshot" or the grey 14ft boat i just built on CL? i just posted that one tonight... not in a hurry to sell cause i get to use it till i do :)

Scott1298 said:
inlovewithsurfin said:

I've got an untreated sheet of OSB that's been laying in the back of my pickup for 10 years; it's handled Canadian winters, the dogs, and everything I've thrown on it! That board might be on there longer than you think :lol:

well thats good news then! i just figured that since it was cheap that it would be junk? lol...