Mirrorcraft 14 Deep Fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll be alright with the chop saw with a metal cutting blade, just don't force it and wear you some glasses... And it's best not to wear flip flops or crocs, take it from me... Personal experience... Ou might want to hit the back side with a flap disk too to get rid of the sharp edges... I've done quite a bit of steel fabricating so I have most of the tools for metalwork if you need a hand... If I can get some **** time to do anything... Lol

Thanks Fish, I got my new blade for the chop saw....and I scored a ss hvlp spray gun at the marine flea market last weekend. I only paid 8 bucks for the gun and a 2' ss piano hinge. Should make some progress this weekend. Still kicking around the foam under the deck.......will need some help if I pull the trigger on that one.

Attachments

• paint gun.JPG
    paint gun.JPG
    1,018 KB · Views: 1,321
Excellent job so far Big Wave. You have inspired me to begin my mod the minute it comes out of storage! Just a quick question regarding the aluminum. How are you fastening the cross beams to each other for strength? Thanks and once again, great job.

Lunkerville said:
Excellent job so far Big Wave. You have inspired me to begin my mod the minute it comes out of storage! Just a quick question regarding the aluminum. How are you fastening the cross beams to each other for strength? Thanks and once again, great job.

If you look in the above pics you will see that I cut the castle clips in half, and then half again. I cut them with a grinder and they are not perfect, but since I already purchased them, I will use them. I have secured them at 90 degree's on each joint. Some have 3/16 rivets and some will have self-tapping aluminum screws. I will use the screws mostly on the underside of the cross members. I will take more pics of the l-bracket clips this weekend. By the way, the ones that I finished last night are real strong.....I ran out of stock so of to the depot today. :(

Hey bigwave. Awesome mod. I'm in Dunedin fl I have a small 10 ft Jon that I'm trying to spruce up and sell
Because I want to get in something bigger for me and my daughter to fish in.
I figure we fish in same type of waters as far as boat traffic. I was wondering what you think would be better a flat
bottom Jon or a v type. I was leaning towards Jon but not sure. I want to deck it and do some mode when I get it

flajsh said:
Hey bigwave. Awesome mod. I'm in Dunedin fl I have a small 10 ft Jon that I'm trying to spruce up and sell
Because I want to get in something bigger for me and my daughter to fish in.
I figure we fish in same type of waters as far as boat traffic. I was wondering what you think would be better a flat
bottom Jon or a v type. I was leaning towards Jon but not sure. I want to deck it and do some mode when I get it

IMO I am sticking with my deep-v. I have two jon-boats and the other one is a shallow-v. I like my mirrorcraft because with all the boat traffic on the ICW the deep v just cuts right though them. I travel all over the south boca ciega bay and all the way out to the skyway. This boat rides nice, its dry, and I can still run in a foot of water....stop and pole anywhere I want. When I finish my mod, I hope to get together with a few tinboat members in our area and have a small tournament. I think that would be fun. I will also have my boat ready to travel the state, there are several members on here that I would love to hook up with and learn their neck of the woods, and vise a versa. I am taking my time and self-teaching myself with this boat.....the information here is down right awesome.

see ya on da water
Kevin

Got to work on the boat sunday, this is what I got done. I ran out of stock again so off to the depot this weekend. There are still a few joints that need l-brackets, ran out of those too. I am real happy with how this is coming together. It is already super strong. I think once I start to lay the plywood down everything will tie together and make this hull stronger than when the seats were in her. I found that using the angle grinder is the best way for me to cut the aluminum without distortion. Its not perfect by any means but you will never see the framing once the wood is laid. Did I mention that it is super strong.......... :lol:

Attachments

• framing1.JPG
    framing1.JPG
    939 KB · Views: 1,218
  • framing2.JPG
    framing2.JPG
    865.2 KB · Views: 1,218
  • Framing3.JPG
    Framing3.JPG
    882.4 KB · Views: 1,218
  • Framing4.JPG
    Framing4.JPG
    829 KB · Views: 1,218
Hey very nice frame work Bigwave =D> Keep this up and I may be inspired to re-do mine in aluminum framing....lol

Johny25 said:
Hey very nice frame work Bigwave =D> Keep this up and I may be inspired to re-do mine in aluminum framing....lol
Thanks Johny25. If you look at the front casting deck area and the rear casting deck area there is no vertical supports yet. I plan on laying the plywood in first and then support the decks vertically. On tap this week, finish the framing then start laying out the chase tubes and wiring. Then she will be flipped and painted finally. Come on refund check...im out of money right now....... [-o<

bigwave said:
Ok so now I am ready to start getting the surface ready. I want to know if I can go straight over this finish....some is kilz....other is factory primer...I plan on using self etching primer.....then a good coat of bedliner paint. 1. Do I need to take back to bare metal? If so what is the best way to strip it. the entire boat will have a deck that ties up to original piece on the bow.......I plan on putting supports where the benches used to be. I will then frame around them for storage......I will still have a cap for the casting deck which will end at the existing brackets are now......I am up for all Ideas. No wire wheel on the aluminum right?
Mirrorcraftrestore025-1.jpg

yay beer!

One of the necessary building parts, the beer helps me stare at the boat more than I should, but the ideas do seem to come with a little deep thought. :p

got the same boat at hom its in my sig if ya wanna take a look re did it last year havent run it much this year at all :?

I really like your build and boat. I couldn't decide on a flat or one like yours.
But I came across a mirro 16ft up in inverness with a trailer so I grabbed it.
Hopefully I can get it started soon. I will be borrowing some of you ideas.

John.

Thanks Flajsh, It is very rewarding knowing that when I am finished my boat will be 99% of what I want. It has been slow going but I should make some progress in the weeks to come. This is a list of what I still have to do.

1. Finish up framework. Still need to buy more..... :(
2. Prime and paint outside of the boat. Still need to buy this.....
3. Run chase tubes for wiring and pull all wire. Already have wire and tubing.
4. Lay the 1/2 4 layer exterior plywood. Still need to by this.....
5. Resin and gelcoat all wood. Already have resin and gelcoat.
6. Install Bilge pump..panel for bilge, float switch....already have this.
7. Install tranducer and badass chartplotter.......already have this.
8. Install accessory panel. Already have this.
9. Install running lights....already have these.
10. Install led courtesy lights....still need to buy this.
11. I am sure I will have a few small things..foam,cup holders, rod holders,etc....??????
12. Strip and paint trailer.
13. Go fishing........ :lol:

I am probably into this project for about $700...so far. I will tally all my receipts when I am finished....I'm guessing $1000 start to finish, but it will be like a brand new boat when I am done....

Sweet boat man, love the progress, where you gonna fish it at? I'd love to find a larger deep v-jon boat like this for my next build an offshore dual motored (got twin yahama 50's sittin in the shed), with a platform for some snapper, groupas, and the like...are you putting a console on this or keeping it with the tiller arm? Good progress love the attention to detail, should be a sweet boat when it's all done!

I fish all inshore with this boat, mostly snook, redfish, trout, and love to chase the poons. I am still up in the air on a console, time will tell. I like what salty dawg did with his mod, I might try to make a small console for my ff, and other accessories. I had a busy weekend fishing so no boat work. I should get back on her this week.....payday today. :D

Ya Salty's boat has got me thinkin about an offshore tin boat, I like his build a lot as well...I'm a hp guy though and with his boat I'd have atleast gone 40 to 50 hp...but I always overpower my boats...to each their own