Mirrorcraft 14 Deep Fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet, funny I was just reading mooberg, and flajsh, I plan on working on her this weekend. Mount chase tubes wiring transducer, I am still sourcing sheet aluminum....really want to use that instead of wood. I really need to get going so I can get all the other stuff done....I am ready to paint too, once I put the thru hulls in and couple more rivets for the angle iron supports. Its slow but I want it done right.

bigwave said:
Thanks Johny25, It is pretty easy to drill the ribs, you just have to take it slow so you dont punch through the hull. I only had a few of the braces with rivets in them and it was already feeling strong. Super light too. I plan on getting a fiber blade with no teeth,just like the one on my grinder only thicker. It is pretty easy cutting with the grinder but its hard to get a flush plumb cut. I should make some significant progress now that I have figured out how to attach all the aluminum. Thanks to johnboatjerry.......got the idea from his build. On a side note I just found a place that will sell me 1x1 square tube in 24 foot pieces for 30 bucks......they are a hell of alot cheaper than Homedepot. Town and country industries.....great prices on aluminum.

Big. Which branch did you go to for town and country. Also did the have to order the square or is it stocked.
thanks.

They are in Tampa, They have a minimum for delivery right to your location.....I don't remember what it was though....I had half of my stock already put in the boat when I found them. For ease and convenience I bought the rest at home depot.

I had two extra wheels just setting in the sand behind my garage. They were old and the tires were dry rotted....so out comes the grinder and a few minutes late both of the tires were off the rims. Both tires had water inside the rims and had a little rust on them. I forgot to take a pic of the finished product but here some of the in between. I wish I would have taken a pic before I started. This only cost me 12 bucks. I used phoz to eat all the rust and dirt off the rims, rinsed with water, Primed with auto primer, painted with metalic blue. I will post the finished pic later tonight. Now I just have to find some new tires, and build the trailer around my new painted rims...........got something done at least. Hey they turned out better than I thought they would....These rims were completely rusted when I started. It took me about 2 hours to clean,prime,paint. I am happy with the results.

Attachments

• rims.JPG
    rims.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,170
  • prime rims.JPG
    prime rims.JPG
    896.7 KB · Views: 1,170
  • wheel 1.JPG
    wheel 1.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • wheel 2.JPG
    wheel 2.JPG
    837.4 KB · Views: 1,145
Not yet, I did the wheels this weekend between the family thing......my step-daughter is in town all week so we just played and spent time with the kids.They will be going to j-ville Tuesday so I plan on working on the boat this week. I finally have a little money and should start doing odds and ends all week.

bigwave said:
Well even though Sunday was mother's day, I did manage to get some more framing done. Just a few more sticks of aluminum and I will be done. After some advise I am considering going with .090 sheet for the main deck and the front and rear casting deck. The price has to be right or I will go with my original plan of 1/2 plywood.....the weight difference is real tempting even though it might cost double.....Oh well still have time to think about it.
Big
I'm in process of planning out my floor. I was wondering if you are putting anymore vertical supports.
or is it sturdy enough without them on the outer horizontals.

The way it is right now is very solid.....I might put a few more braces between the long runs on the bottom deck....I have been holding out on the decking since I want it to be aluminum. I put a small piece of plywood down on the deck area and It felt real solid. On the upper decks there will be vertical pieces of plywood to carry the load of the decks. I will have two side lockers running between the casting decks, port and starboard....this in theory should stiffen up the entire boat since I can attach at multiple points and pull the sides in......I hope to stand on these lockers too.....we will see. Hey did you get a good deal on your motor? My family has gone back home, so now I hope to work on the boat this weekend.....still have a ton of stuff to do.

bigwave said:
The way it is right now is very solid.....I might put a few more braces between the long runs on the bottom deck....I have been holding out on the decking since I want it to be aluminum. I put a small piece of plywood down on the deck area and It felt real solid. On the upper decks there will be vertical pieces of plywood to carry the load of the decks. I will have two side lockers running between the casting decks, port and starboard....this in theory should stiffen up the entire boat since I can attach at multiple points and pull the sides in......I hope to stand on these lockers too.....we will see. Hey did you get a good deal on your motor? My family has gone back home, so now I hope to work on the boat this weekend.....still have a ton of stuff to do.
Gonna steal your floor framing most likely that's why I was wondering. How many feet of angle did you
use on flooring frame.

I will have to check my receipts, but I am guessing 15 8' pieces.....I paid more than I should have since I bought the tubing from home depot....I wish we had a salvage yard somewhere close...that is the way to buy the framing. The only thing I would have done different would be to run a piece of aluminum angle down the centerline of the boat to attach the vertical supports. This is an afterthought but the framing is already done. It is still solid as can be and when the decking goes on everything should really shore up.

bigwave said:
Well I got just a bit more framing done. I thought I would post up a couple of pics on how I am attaching my joints on the aluminum framing. I have a quick question for anyone who has used aluminum sheet for their decks. PSG-1, Bugpac, Bassboy, or anyone else. I am thinking about using aluminum for the decks....

1. How much bracing should I use for adequate support for the decks. As it stand now there will be support bracing 11 1/4" from the center line...will this be enough to put sheet aluminum on the main deck without flex or bows?

2. What gauge sheet? What can I expect to pay for the standards sheet size, and what sizes are available for the sheets?

Boat is looking awesome!!! Does anyone have any insight on the use of self tapping screws over rivits? I would think a self tapping screw or bolt where possible with some locktite would be more secure than rivits. Obviously screws and bolts arnt practical for securing the framing to the boat ribs, but for the rest of the framing. Do we have any engineers or anyone who has done any research on this?

-Rob

This is what I have learned so far....I used the self tappers with aluminum l-brackets to secure the pieces of the framing to each other. They seem to be strong enough but I should have used two screws on each side to make sure the braces don't move. In my case this is the first time utilizing framing secured in this manor. I will have all the framing welded next time...that was not in my budget. I am confidant that when the decks go on and I screw them to the framing this will shore it up even more. This project is a learn as I go kind of thing.....I am already thinking of a 20' v for my next mod...... :mrgreen: It will be an all weld mod....kinda like daveinga's mod....I know his is solid as a rock.

Not yet Mo, I have been real busy with work....I have been fishing every weekend for the past month...next week I will be competing in the Sarasota Slam Billfish tournament. After that I guess I can get back at it. The weather has been so hot here that I just dont feel like working in the garage after a long day of work...plus the skeeters are terrible. I am close though...just need to get off my butt and get it done.

I have finished cutting out the casting deck and the floor for the bow of my boat, I will post pics later tonight....I used a technique that my girlfriend taught me from her sewing days that really helps with the radius cuts. I plan on starting the back casting deck tonight and finish the entire floor this weekend. Pics to follow later.

Latest posts