Mirrorcraft 14 Deep Fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey big.
You mentioned going to a service center for a motor.
do you know of a good one in our area.

John.

Well I got just a bit more framing done. I thought I would post up a couple of pics on how I am attaching my joints on the aluminum framing. I have a quick question for anyone who has used aluminum sheet for their decks. PSG-1, Bugpac, Bassboy, or anyone else. I am thinking about using aluminum for the decks....

1. How much bracing should I use for adequate support for the decks. As it stand now there will be support bracing 11 1/4" from the center line...will this be enough to put sheet aluminum on the main deck without flex or bows?

2. What gauge sheet? What can I expect to pay for the standards sheet size, and what sizes are available for the sheets?

Attachments

• close up lbracket.JPG
    close up lbracket.JPG
    611.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • clamp railing.JPG
    clamp railing.JPG
    739.7 KB · Views: 1,047
flajsh said:
At least someone is making progress.
I haven't had much time for mine.
Too funny, it only takes money, which mine is real tight right now. It took me a while to realize that rushing this mod is not the way to do it. I have a whole box full of stuff just waiting to be installed, bilge pump, livewell pump, lights, wires, etc. I know that where I am at on this build is the most important. I plan on working on the boat all day sunday, and should make some more progress. Hopefully no one asks me to go fishing this weekend....keeps getting in the way of my build. :D

Well even though Sunday was mother's day, I did manage to get some more framing done. Just a few more sticks of aluminum and I will be done. After some advise I am considering going with .090 sheet for the main deck and the front and rear casting deck. The price has to be right or I will go with my original plan of 1/2 plywood.....the weight difference is real tempting even though it might cost double.....Oh well still have time to think about it.

Attachments

• battlow.JPG
    battlow.JPG
    901.3 KB · Views: 1,083
  • frontframin.JPG
    frontframin.JPG
    909.8 KB · Views: 1,083
  • rearframing.JPG
    rearframing.JPG
    953.2 KB · Views: 1,083
Big - Thats starting to take shape, how strudy is the framing can you stand on it now or do you have to brace it up some more.

If you can go with the alumimun do it, nothing wrong with the wood but weight and life span of the aluminum can't be beat.

My next boat will be a wood free creation which I am already designing in head only at this point, no way mamma would go for boat #4 at this point.

Well the main deck is study as all be....I can stand on it already. with now bows. The front and rear casting deck still need a few cross members where I plan to sit while driving. I am going to complete the main deck first in order to put probably four vertical supports for the casting decks front and rear. I will place aluminum angle iron for the face of the casting decks, this will also allow me an attachment point for the vertical supports, and have a nailer for the face of the casting decks. the rear casting deck face will have a vented swinging door for my gas tank....centered. I will have two trap doors on the rear deck for access to bilge pump and storage.....now I just need to find the sheet aluminum for a reasonable price. It is funny but I too am thinking about going for a bigger all aluminum boat....my gf would absolutely kill me if I brought a fourth boat home.

I just got a bunch of road signs from the local township buildings scrap pile, and they are all exactly .9" thick. I laid them out on the floor of my basstracker and walked around to get a feeling for how sturdy they are. I'm about 200 pounds and I figure I want a MAXIMUM of a 12" gap anywhere to avoid sagging and bending.

I suppose once its all put together and riveted down, maybe I could get away with larger gaps, but why push it.

MrSimon said:
I just got a bunch of road signs from the local township buildings scrap pile, and they are all exactly .9" thick. I laid them out on the floor of my basstracker and walked around to get a feeling for how sturdy they are. I'm about 200 pounds and I figure I want a MAXIMUM of a 12" gap anywhere to avoid sagging and bending.

I suppose once its all put together and riveted down, maybe I could get away with larger gaps, but why push it.

Well after some good advise from PSG-1 I am probably going to use the .90 Sheet aluminum. The support braces for the main deck just happen to be 12" on center from the center brace.....I planed it that way so I could rip 1/2 plywood and get the whole sheet for the main deck, with only one seam down the middle of the boat. I know it might take a little longer, but I really think I am going to use aluminum for the deck....time and money will dictate that.

Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate the feedback, good bad or indifferent.

Is there a way to deaden the sound from aluminum flooring or is not that much.
cause I was considered using that also.

Hey big. One of these days I may have to pay for gas and bait so you can show me how to catch
a dam snook.

Lmao theres the name of my boat.
Snookless. :oops:

How much lighter is .090 aluminum compared to 1/2 plywood? Not much I'd bet. If you go to .063, then yes, maybe 20 pounds lighter per sheet.

It's more about how you want to build it than weight.

Aluminum is more difficult to fabricate, but a superior material for this application. Wood is cheaper both as a material and to fabricate.

Nice job, I like your project.

xbacksideslider said:
How much lighter is .090 aluminum compared to 1/2 plywood? Not much I'd bet. If you go to .063, then yes, maybe 20 pounds lighter per sheet.

It's more about how you want to build it than weight.

Aluminum is more difficult to fabricate, but a superior material for this application. Wood is cheaper both as a material and to fabricate.

Nice job, I like your project.

.090 aluminum may not be much lighter than 1/2 plywood, but the plywood can absorb moisture and become heavy. Also, the absorption of water will cause plywood to de-laminate. Another concern, any water absorbed by the plywood will speed up corrosion if the plywood is in contact with aluminum.

Plywood is more susceptible to warping and buckling, and de-laminating when continually exposed to UV light, heat, cold, and moisture, all of which are present on a boat.

None of these issues exist with aluminum. While it may be harder to work with aluminum, it is definitely the permanent solution.

flajsh said:
Is there a way to deaden the sound from aluminum flooring or is not that much.
cause I was considered using that also.

Hey big. One of these days I may have to pay for gas and bait so you can show me how to catch
a dam snook.

Lmao theres the name of my boat.
Snookless. :oops:

Right now I am not too concerned about sound from the deck. The void spaces will be filled with some type of foam...tbd. If I can find the sheet aluminum for a decent price I will use, then I will worry about the sound dampening. I usually either pole or drift up on the fish in the flats. Stealth is key to the big snook. I will take ya when I am finished.

4x8 sheets of construction styrofoam are about $10 per and a spray can of contact cement will stick them together and to your aluminum sheet.

For below deck or to build it up from the V to a flat surface by careful cutting and selection of thicknesses of the foam. It cuts easily freehand with a simple hack saw blade.

As for yor storage areas that have aluminum decking above, the styrofoam sheet can be stuck up under your deck with the spray contact cement as well

That should deaden sound quite well.

xbacksideslider said:
4x8 sheets of construction styrofoam are about $10 per and a spray can of contact cement will stick them together and to your aluminum sheet.

For below deck or to build it up from the V to a flat surface by careful cutting and selection of thicknesses of the foam. It cuts easily freehand with a simple hack saw blade.

As for yor storage areas that have aluminum decking above, the styrofoam sheet can be stuck up under your deck with the spray contact cement as well

That should deaden sound quite well.
Even if I don't use aluminum for the decks, the 4x8 closed cell sheets are probably going to be what I use. For the price and ease of use this seems practical to me. I like the two part foam but it is too much money for me. I might just go foamless for a while. This will only be temporary, when I am shaking down the boat. I want to make sure all wiring and accessories work before I go and cover with any type of foam.

Latest posts