Mirrorcraft 14 Deep Fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, I know, with a 14yo getting ready to start school, and all that comes with it, I have been busy this summer...but I am cutting wood now.....stay tuned hope to have a water test here in a couple of weeks. I will then be playing around with the motor and prop to get the most out of my engine without killing it.

Deck1.JPGView attachment 4This is just the start of the casting deck. I will attach each piece with angle aluminum and I estimate that I had 15% waste of the 4x8 sheet of 1/2". I will use the scrap pieces as nailer's where needed. Sorry the pics are crappy.

Attachments

• CDECK2.JPG
    CDECK2.JPG
    755.4 KB · Views: 1,186
  • CDECK3.JPG
    CDECK3.JPG
    961.1 KB · Views: 1,186
  • CDECK4.JPG
    CDECK4.JPG
    638.2 KB · Views: 1,186
  • CDECK1.JPG
    CDECK1.JPG
    621.1 KB · Views: 1,186
Looks great. You commented on my deck question and I have decided to go with the urethane. I also like the aluminum supports that you are using. I will probably use it on my next project. I hope to finish mine and fish out of it for a year or so then upgrade to a bigger boat.

Thank you, the aluminum was pretty easy to work with and now the decks are coming together nicely. I will post some more pics up later, I have the back bottom deck cut out and have started putting the vertical supports in for a dry fit. Next step is to coat all the wood with fiberglass resin and paint the outside. I need a good few days of no rain so I can spray her down and finish the outside. I have a new idea of using turnbuckles to secure the sides where the middle seat was. They will be concealed by the rod lockers and should be stronger than the original configuration. The casting deck up front is super sturdy with just a dry fit.....once I secure the wood to the aluminum I will have the long awaited break-dance floor...... :lol:

Here is a small update. I have sanded the plywood with my palm sander 100grit. This will be the forward top casting deck. I plan to put at least two coats of grey over all wood surfaces, followed by some flake and then two coats of satin clear. I know this is not much of an update, but this will be it for the weekend. I will be at the Jaxsonville/Texans game tomorrow........go Texans \ 27-7 But I still got spanked in fantasy football. I forgot to post what I used for the paint. After looking at some other mods, Mobergs especially changed my mind. I chose to use this poly floor paint that they tinted grey for me. I will put two coats on all wood surfaces, followed by some decorative grey,black,light blue flake. I will then put two coats of a satin clear Poly that I just happen to have laying around. I hope to have a decent seal on the wood when finished. I used a 8" fine roller brush to apply the paint.....Note: this stuff dries too fast to roll and tip method.

Attachments

• 2 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 1,111
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 1,111
  • paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,092
Here is the what the wood deck looks like after two coats and the flake added to the surface. I will topcoat with the clear later this evening.

Attachments

• Deck flake.JPG
    Deck flake.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,081
Well It has been very slow lately. I have been very busy with work since it is stone crab season. I also have a 14 yo step son and lady to take care of. I am the sole bread winner right now, so my funds are very limited with my boat. I have been fishing too.......stay tuned I should get hard at it again in a week or so. Thank you for the complement, lots of mistakes but it sure has been fun so far.

Hey Fool, I will gladly send ya some, I plan on putting out 10 traps this season....the crabs are good this year, most people that I have talked to are getting between a 1/2lb-1lb per trap. I can send you some when I start fishing for em.....its pretty easy through ups, you just have to make sure your doggies dont get into them before you get home. My lab loves stonecrab, but they dont love him if you know what I mean.

bigwave said:
Hey Fool, I will gladly send ya some, I plan on putting out 10 traps this season....the crabs are good this year, most people that I have talked to are getting between a 1/2lb-1lb per trap. I can send you some when I start fishing for em.....its pretty easy through ups, you just have to make sure your doggies dont get into them before you get home. My lab loves stonecrab, but they dont love him if you know what I mean.

Boat is looking good! We like stone crab claws, too. :mrgreen:

We usually get ours when we're out gigging at night, on the oyster beds, you'll often see stone crabs moving around, we scoop them up with a dip net, and get a claw.

I've seen other guys that reach their hands in holes and pull them out. To me, that just seems insane, putting your hand in a hole with something that can crack clams with its claws. Saw a horror story where somebody did it the wrong way, needless to say, he won't be giving anybody the bird with his right hand anymore. :shock:

I've never been pinched by one....and don't want to be, I know how bad a blue crab can pinch, can't even imagine how bad a stone crab can pinch.

Primed and ready, I am thinking black metal flake bottom, with royal blue metal flake sides.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 1,017
  • imagejpeg_2 (2).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (2).jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 1,017
  • imagejpeg_2 (1).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (1).jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 1,017