My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just because I like looking at before and afters of the boat:

Earlier this year (March I think):

392244914.jpg

YESTERDAY:

392244819.jpg

Once I get the trailer painted, it will all look new!

worked on the boat some more today, nothing major. just installed the front anchor point. After that I was itching to do something else when it hit me. I needed to make some backing plates for the trolling motor when I mount it on the back so im not scratching the mess out of some paint. I used some leftover aluminum I had to make them. Made a trip to lowes to get some stainless bolts; some 1/4 20 X 2 1/2 hex bolts and washers with some lock nuts. I was working in the dark...lol

392281947.jpg

inside the boat backing plate:

392281948.jpg

Front anchor point tie off:

392281943.jpg

also installed the left side rod holder:

392281944.jpg

Cant wait till saturday for the wiring and possible test run

This boat looks great! Good job. Im new here and ive read through your build several times but i cant find anything about how you are attaching the sides and floor to the boat and what type wood did you use for the sides? Are you just going to screw the floor and sides down through the carpet or did you screw everything down and then put the carpet over it? Sorry for the dumb questions, I found this site because i was trying to figure out a way to open up the inside of my 14' alumacraft, and the way you have built yours is exactly what i want to do with mine. Thanks

S-31 said:
This boat looks great! Good job. Im new here and ive read through your build several times but i cant find anything about how you are attaching the sides and floor to the boat and what type wood did you use for the sides? Are you just going to screw the floor and sides down through the carpet or did you screw everything down and then put the carpet over it? Sorry for the dumb questions, I found this site because i was trying to figure out a way to open up the inside of my 14' alumacraft, and the way you have built yours is exactly what i want to do with mine. Thanks

I'm sorry, I dont think I did specify how eveything is attached did I?. Well here is a breakdown. Also, in the folowing pics, you can see some of the fastners.

I used a 3/16" thick aluminum road sign for my floor. It is cut to size and everything. It is best to use cardboard or somthing to make a pattern of all the panels and then trace them onto your wood or whatever material you are using. Like I said I used aluminum for my main floor. For the sides I used thin 1/8" wood. ALL wood needs to be coated with AT LEAST two coats of fiberglass resin. I picked it up at walmart in auto section for $11 a can. For my front casting deck, I used a 1/2" UNTREATED piece of plywood. You can go thicker, but as you can see in my pics, my casting deck was beefed up by using 1x1 aluminum angle. For the peice of carpeted wood on the back bench, I took and contact cemented two pieces of the 1/2" together. cut a hole in one piece the size of you swivel and make a steel plate to go in that hole. You can see that in the above pics. Also, on a side note, make sure you use stainless bolts and nuts and all. All this can be had at Lowes. for the panel o the front of the casting deck with the storage access hole, that is just a piece of roadsign as well (I bought all of these at a local salvage yard).

Now for carpeting. The reason why my carpet looks so good and wrinkle free is my process I used. I have a nice flat concrete carport. If you have a garage or carport, i recommend carpeting there. You need to buy a gallon of contact cement at Lowes and a few cheap brushes. after all of you panels have been cut and treated with resin and dried, its time to carpet. take you carpet andlay it face down on the concrete. Then lay your pieces on it the side down to be carpeted. trace around it like 2-3" off of the edge to allow for the carpet to lap over the edges of the panel and be glued down. after all panels have been traced, cut out the carpet on those lines. Then take your panel back up and lay it down beside the carpet. now take the contact cement and apply it to BOTH surfaces to be put together. After the contact cement has tacked up, take the panel and lay it in place on the back of the carpet. this may take two people. Once you lay it down, its there to stay, you CANT fix it. so make sure you position it correctly before you lay it in place. now step on the back of the panel to make sure the surfaces get pressed together. now take and put glue on the pieces to be lapped over and onto the back edge of the wood. once it has tacked up, fold it over and press. i stepped on the edges too to press them down. Now do this process to all of the panels.

Once all panels are carpeted. you can intall them in the boat. I seen that you asked how they were fastened. Well the floor was pretty heavy since it was aluminum. I didnt fasten it down. it is actually held in place by all the other panels as they sit on TOP of it and ARE fastened down. I used 3/16" X 1/2" long aluminum rivets to hold anything thin (sides and front face of casting deck) for the top of the casting deck I used #14 X 1" STAINLESS sheetmetal screws. one in each corner of the casting deck. For the back seat area, I used the same screws, but in 2" length as remember i glued two pieces of plywood together. again one in each corner. I actually put one right behind the back seat as well since 5 came in a bag. All of these fastners you can get at lowes.

Just look at the pics im about to post and you can see some of my fasteners. also if you would like, i will take pics of how everything is fastened just for ya after work

TEH BOAT IS DONE!!! well took the boat out for her maiden voayage since all of the mods. SHE DID AWESOME! She was very comfortable, steady and leak free! i was amazed! take a look at the pics:

392441691.jpg

392441686.jpg

392441681.jpg

The fuse panel:

392441696.jpg

392441706.jpg

392441711.jpg

392441717.jpg

392441721.jpg

392441729.jpg

392441739.jpg

392441741.jpg

392441758.jpg

392441783.jpg

392441796.jpg

392441808.jpg

392441815.jpg

392441820.jpg

392441822.jpg

392441826.jpg

Its been a fun project, but Im glad she is DONE!!! now I can enjoy her! any ???, feel free to ask! Now Im moving on the trailer

Thanks for spelling all that out, it helps alot. I hope yo don't mind me copying your ideas but your boat is exactly how i want mine to be laid out. Once again, great job on the boat and thanks for all the info.

S-31 said:
Thanks for spelling all that out, it helps alot. I hope yo don't mind me copying your ideas but your boat is exactly how i want mine to be laid out. Once again, great job on the boat and thanks for all the info.

lol heck i copied someone else's boat just made mine better! so i dont mind! I pesonally think that this is the best layout for a jon boat as it is very versatile and open.

I have done a couple boats through the years,seems like when I am done with one,I always want a better one,lol.You did a very nice job on yours.So,what's your next project going to be?I'm going to be moving back to Pa. after 30 years in Arizona,so I got a 16 foot flatbottom that I'm doing right now for the river there.You gave me some bery good ideas.

Good work. I"m picking up my boat on the 22nd and cant wait. Seeing threads like this one motivate me and give me ideas of what all I plan on doing with mine when I get it.

Latest posts