My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
azslabber said:
I have done a couple boats through the years,seems like when I am done with one,I always want a better one,lol.You did a very nice job on yours.So,what's your next project going to be?I'm going to be moving back to Pa. after 30 years in Arizona,so I got a 16 foot flatbottom that I'm doing right now for the river there.You gave me some bery good ideas.

nope, this is it for me! I did it the right way, the way I wanted on this ne because I know i wanted to keep this one. Its a great boat and I couldnt ever get rid of her. Even when I get a bass boat, ill still have "Bass Akwards". My next project starts this week and that is the trailer. needs new bearing seal, new bunks and paint. I already have the stuff for th enew bunks

You did a great job. I hope mine turns out that nice. I may be hit'n you up with some questions if thats o.k.

bbarbee said:
You did a great job. I hope mine turns out that nice. I may be hit'n you up with some questions if thats o.k.

Thas is quite fine! I would not been able to do mine had it not been for other members of the site ;)

She's getting a foot controlled trolling motor at the end of the month! She just sets under a tarp right now with all this snow on the ground :(

Thanks for the reply! I plan to use the same design on my PolarKraft. to Cold to work on it just now .Garage is full of Motorcycles & Car's no room for the Jon.

How much would you estimate you have in modifications of this rig? I love it and have just purchased a 1436 Montgomery Ward Seaking that I am getting ready to start on.

Looks good Dixie. You going to put a motor on the back of that thing? I see you're going with the front mount trolling motor, are you putting a seat up on the deck or using your front seat to fish out of? I had a permanently mounted seat in the front also, recently I put in some seat bases, got tired of tripping over extra seats with just me in the boat.

no i have a transom mount trolling motor, and nope i have a 25 hp mercury lined up, gotta wait till after wedding this year or fiance will kill me lol. i however do have a bow foot controlled motor coming :D

Hey as you can tell I am new to the site but for the past few days I have been looking at all the jon boats on here and yours is one of my favorite 14 footers. My question is how wide is your boat? I really would like to incorporate your open design into my boat.

Thanks!

My boat is a 1440 (40 inches at the bottom or beam as they call it). Thanks, yeah that was my goal to have a nice open boat. I don't like crowded and I didn't want high decks. I eanted my fiance to be able to lay out in a bikini in that florlor if you k ow what I mean lol.

Also both me and my future father in law have huge tackle bags and carry like 5 poles apiece when fishing. Believe it or not, all that open space fills up fast. I too think I have one of the best laid out rigs. Everything is as it should be

I was wondering how did you attach the side panels to boat?...

dixie_boysles said:
Saturday, me and the future father-in-law worked on the boat some more. We got a big step done! We got the floor and sides cut to size! That metal roadsign i bought now makes a nice floorboard! I have to cover it in boat carpet now that i have in my building. Also the sides that you see will be covered in boat carpet. The sign wasnt quite long enough, so we butted a trimming from the sign when we cut it up the the end we needed extedned and then put another peice under is and pop riveted it all together. Its VERY storong and will never rot!

i wanted to go with all metal floor, but i think im just gonna go ahead and make my front casting deck out of 3/4" plywood. I have to have a piece anyways to go on the back bench so that i can mount my swivel seat to it. Pretty much the whole inside of the boat will be carpeted except for the area behind the back bench. It sjust about ready for paint. I have to go this week to get some 1x1 alum. angle to frame the front deck.

boat011.jpg

Dixie, I like it =D>

dixie_boysles said:
My boat is a 1440 (40 inches at the bottom or beam as they call it).
I think the bottom and beam are two different things, correct me if I'm wrong. 40" at the bottom and should be about 54" at the beam (gunnel). Removing the middle seat was a nice touch. I went over and over that on my build and decided to leave it in for the three person river cruise. I did replace my permanently mounted seats with seat posts so I'm not tripping over unused seats and that was a nice upgrade. Let me know when you strap an old smoker to the back of that thing, I just put a '66 Johnson 20 HP on my 1440 and hope it does the trick. One great addition to your trailer would be some bunks-guide ons, really help on windy days.

Attachments

• DSCF0609.JPG
    DSCF0609.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,552
I'm new to this site, "great site by the way" I too would like to know how you attached the plywood to the sides of your boat. Also, I'm interested in removing my middle seat, but I'm afraid it will weaken the sides of the hull. I see that a lot of people removed the middle bench does this affect the structural integrity of the boat?

Ictalurus said:
Dixie, I like it =D>

dixie_boysles said:
My boat is a 1440 (40 inches at the bottom or beam as they call it).
I think the bottom and beam are two different things, correct me if I'm wrong. 40" at the bottom and should be about 54" at the beam (gunnel). Removing the middle seat was a nice touch. I went over and over that on my build and decided to leave it in for the three person river cruise. I did replace my permanently mounted seats with seat posts so I'm not tripping over unused seats and that was a nice upgrade. Let me know when you strap an old smoker to the back of that thing, I just put a '66 Johnson 20 HP on my 1440 and hope it does the trick. One great addition to your trailer would be some bunks-guide ons, really help on windy days.

hmmm you may be right. i know mine is 40 at the bottom, i just thought it was called the beam...lol. yeah i have not seen a loss in integrity either. I would like to have put a removable sean up front and maybe still will one day; but that fixed post was free so i couldnt complain..lol also as for the trailer, its not done for sure! i have new bunk boards and carpet to fix that problem and also the metal to make some side guides. also gonna sand the trailer down and repaint nice glossy black

as to the other question, the side pieces are riveted in. its only 3/16" wood that has been double coated in fiberglass. my rips go up the sides a little so it was perfect for riveting into

Latest posts