My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you have the thin the Parkers paint to spray it? If so, how much? I Too will be using the parkers paint here soon and was thining about spraying it. Do you get better coverage by spraying or rolling? How many coats do you think your going to need with spraying? Looksa AWSOME by the way!! Thanks!!

Joe

CrewCabMax said:
Did you have the thin the Parkers paint to spray it? If so, how much? I Too will be using the parkers paint here soon and was thining about spraying it. Do you get better coverage by spraying or rolling? How many coats do you think your going to need with spraying? Looksa AWSOME by the way!! Thanks!!

Joe
I wish I could be of better help about thinning it, but seeing as I didn't thin it, my friend does that owns the bodyshop I sprayed it in thinned it for me each time. But to answer your qestion, yes, u do have to thin it to spray it. If you go to Parker coatings site and click on "Duck Boat Paint" it will give u a Material Data Sheet for the paint in PDF format that gives u all the directions for the paint. IIRC, you have to thin it 15 percent or something like that. Also, we put three coats on and I still have about half a gallon or so. That's just outside and partial inside.

I'd say put three to four coats on and also let it bake in son as the paint is still pretty soft (I've already caused a few marks in it).

Other than this it sprayed great. Even my friend said the paint was pretty thick.

UPDATE:

Alright, I intalled a new Bow Eyelet that I bought from iboats.com. I backed it with a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum plate so that it is even stronger.

SU1HMDAxMTktMjAxMDA5MDUtMTYxNS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAxMTctMjAxMDA5MDUtMTYxNS5qcGc.jpg

Also as you can see, where the paint is still soft, i rubbed off some paint :( Going to fix that soon. I hope this paint hardens up good!

I then placed on my new decals and numbers, but read that in NC, your numbers have to be 3", so i took them off, ordering some more today.

SU1HMDAxMjItMjAxMDA5MDUtMTY0Mi5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAxMjMtMjAxMDA5MDUtMTY0Mi5qcGc.jpg

UPDATE 9/18/10

Prepare to be amazed! i got ALOT of work done on the boat this week/weekend!! The boat is now officially 95 percent done!!

This past weekend i got all of my wood on the project coated in two coats of Fiberglass resin to waterproof it as I cannot use treated on aluminum as it will oxidize and pit aluminum.

I also got EVERYTHING carpeted with the exception of the back peice of wood that goes on top of the back bench that the swivel seat mouts to. I have to get my papa to make me a bracket to come up through the wood to mount the seat to to make it more stout. Then I will carpet that final peice this week after that is done. I used contact cement, almost half a gallon to attach the carpet. its not going ANYWHERE!!

I bought two toggle switches to hook my two running lights and courtesy lights to. I mounted them on the front face of the casting deck. All I have left on the boat now is to mount the seats, attach all these panels permanatley, and wire all of my lights, fishfinder and trolling motor. Also, you will notice that the lights are no other than RANGER domelights! lol

ANyways on to the pics. on the front face of the casting deck there is a 12x9 hole there that i just hanvnt cut the caprt out yet, ran out of time today. that is my storage access under the deck for stuff.

Nice carpet!
391997112.jpg

391997137.jpg

The wood i have to still carpet and mount my swivel seat to
391996778.jpg

Ranger domelight FTW!
391996774.jpg

391996763.jpg

my light switches:

391996749.jpg

391996736.jpg

casting deck. my fishfinder will be mounted here also

391996681.jpg

391996674.jpg

391996667.jpg

391996792.jpg

391996795.jpg

I have now owned this boat a year and you can see its come along way! I have about 1100 in it right now including purchase price of boat and trailer. Next im working on painting my trailer and making it purdee like the boat

Just for reference, this is what I started with:

Pictures1001-1.jpg

Pictures1002-1.jpg

Pictures1005-2.jpg

gonna work on it some more today and try to get lights mounted and fishfinder bracket mounted.

ordered these today!
0227-0520.jpg

Some Rod Saver Side Mount 6's. Two of them. one for each side of the boat!

Got the side courtesy lights mounted yesterday with the help of my beautiful fiance! She made the boat look even better...lol

392036318.jpg

392036316.jpg

392036315.jpg

Mocking the Depthfinder into place; a Garmin 140

392036314.jpg

392036313.jpg

I love the open floor plan on that boat, simple and clean! It is always good to have help nearby, my wife is a great helper for me with stuff like this too so hold onto that girl.

What, if any, are the plans now?

Bufford

RBuffordTJ said:
I love the open floor plan on that boat, simple and clean! It is always good to have help nearby, my wife is a great helper for me with stuff like this too so hold onto that girl.

What, if any, are the plans now?

Bufford
Oh i plan on it! My plans now are to finish the bach bench area. I am mounting the carpeting it today and mounting the swivel seat to it. I installed the rear light pole socket yesterday, pics later. Then this weekend, will be doing the wiring for all the lights and stuff.

a few things ive got done the past few days:

Rear light pole Socket:
392103314.jpg

392103311.jpg

Then the seat support for my rear swivel seat. My papa cut a 1/8" steel plate and drilled holes for me to go up under the wood on top of the back bench. Today i cut a pocket in the bottom of the wood for the plate and nuts to recess into. I used a skilsaw and a router.

392103324.jpg

392103323.jpg

Tomorrow the board will get carpeted and the seat will get mounted.
I also installed the front seat today to the swivel and to the pedestal but did take pics.

and here are my GREAT RodSaver SM6 side mount rod holders!

392103321.jpg

392103318.jpg

Before anyone askes, i know its over the ligth but no it will not hinder it. Im using LEDs in the lights and a little ol rod aint gonna block all that light. Those bulbs should be here soon.

After tomorrow, ALL i lack is wiring and fastening all the panels down and this boat is DONE!!!

next is the trailer painting and new bunks for it and this WHOLE project is done!!

Howdy,

You might want to paint that steel plate you put in with some liquid electrical tape to give it a good water resistant coating, then put a thing plastic or rubber mat underneath it to separate it from the aluminum seat. It can rust and cause corrosion of your aluminum seat if you do not.

I had steel nutserts in the seats of my Tracker V17 and they had rusted shut, so I had a very hard time removing the seat from the boat during teardown. Protecting against that as much as you can would be helpful down the road.

dixie_boysles said:
ordered these today!
0227-0520.jpg

Some Rod Saver Side Mount 6's. Two of them. one for each side of the boat!

Saw those same rod holders in Academy this afternoon for like $16 bucks each. Almost bought a couple of sets myself. Looks like you'll be pleased with 'em.

Latest posts