New to Jon Boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new here myself and starting a project on my new Lowe 1436L, looking forward to seeing how your project turns out!

inlovewithsurfin said:
that switch panel and the carpet look pretty familiar! :)

The switch panel I picked up from Bass Pro and the carpet I bought from Lowe's when I bought the wood for the front deck.

I had a 4-day weekend this past weekend and didn't get much accomplished on the boat. I rained Sunday and Monday and the other days I was either working around the house or I was working in the woods getting ready for bow season here in Louisiana.

Well I finally found time to finish the small front deck to mount my trolling motor too. I also cut out a hole for my switch panel and installed it but didn't take a pic.
20120923_113454_zpsf8a0c641.jpg

I've been trying to come up with a storage area/ carpeted under seat cover for my boat. I think I just got it designed, now I gotta build it.

20121016_140449.jpg

Got some stuff done today.

20121021_142957.jpg

20121021_150055.jpg

20121021_162256.jpg

I didn't have a chance to carpet it yet, the carpet was wet for some reason so I unrolled it to let it dry.

Finally carpeted the storage compartment. Still need to do the doors and cut holes in the carpet. I think it turned out pretty good.
20121025_183705.jpg

Took my boat out this afternoon to see if the modification we did to my prop made a difference. Well it didn't. I'm gonna try and pick up a 9.9 for a decent price before long. Also tested my trolling motor out, works awesome! Although when you kick it in to high gear the steering is harder to control, I may just take my small out board off and run the trolling motor for now. No since in running the outboard with it bogging down trying to push me along, if I do that to much I might burn it up. I have also thought of making remote controls for my engine and sitting on the front bench all the time, moving to the front would bring the bow down I just don't know if the motor would still be bogged down or not.

Sold the 5hp Briggs last week and went over to one of my buddies house and bought a 1970 9.8 mercury. It needs a fuel pump and a water impeller both will be ordered soon. I took it to work today so I could clean it up and find out what all is wrong with it. It needs a little TLC but runs good. I'll post pics of it soon.

Getting back to leveling out the boat.. I use a big "dry bag" for my solo canoe trips. When I get to the lake I just fill it with water and put it up front. When I head home, I dump the water back and throw the bag in the trunk.

Finally took some pictures of the 9.8. The fuel pump came in for it today and we rewired the cut off switch and updated the fuel line connector on the front of the motor. Tried to change out the fitting on the fuel tank and it cracked, so I need a new fuel tank. The motor runs good and shouldn't give me any problems for a little while. I have about $250 total in the motor, sold my 5hp for $350 so I think I'm doing pretty good.

20121203_160024.jpg

20121203_160015.jpg

Hey casey, just to let ya know the difference bewteen a 9.9 and a 15hp is just the carb jet, so if you get the carb rebuilt by someone (or do it yourself) re-jet and and boom you got a 15hp...

I got to call bs on the jet, if that jet is choking down 1/3 the hp, that thing would run so rich fuel would be floating on the water, more to it than that, i wont argue the fact it could run a little leaner and make some more power.

I may tinker with trying to beef it up later on but for now I just need to put it on the back of my boat and run it. I'm gonna try to put it in the water this weekend and run for a little while.

Finally the weather was good enough for me to feel comfortable taking my boat out and this is how it went. Went to Walmart earlier to get a fitting for my fuel tank, water was calm and almost as smooth as glass. Come home its still calm. I get ready to go fishing and one side of the lake is rough. Water coming over the sides. The other side just as smooth as can be. The wind was bad, I kept fighting and fighting until I just got fed up. The motor did good though.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my Jon boat. I just started working at Louisiana CAT and need big tools. It's just a thought I may or may not sale it, just thinking about it.