Old Larson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCab59

Reaction score
Picked up this old Larson got to Love the wood Gunwales ( year ? 1939 to 1955 ) don't see any tag unless it's covered up.
the Galvanized trailer with new tires which is little short and a 35Hp Johnson 2 stroke.

The plan to to remove all the wood and replace with white ash clean and polish the Aluminum up and to be used.

I'll post pics as the build go on.

ThanksLarson 009.JPGLarson 001.JPGLarson 007.JPG

That's a piece of history there. Love the name plate. I'm sure its gonna look real sharp all polished up and new wood like you're planning. Good find. =D>

After looking at the boat and the smaller trailer had a few things to think about.

1. add a longer tongue to the tilt section to move the boat forward about 13"
2. Bunks are 2x4 turned on edge , didn't like and were way to short.
3. Axle is square 1 u-bolt per side and the tires are new but are 12"
4. The light's didn't work, wiring was shot and had not been plated since 1986.

Plan B use this smaller trailer for my 12ft startcraft and fix the above and be done.

A. Build the new axle with 5x4.5 hub kits, with 2x1.20 wall Dom.
B. Upgrade to 5x4.5 14" or 15" wheels and tires ( Jeep or Ford )
C. Rebuild the bunks.
D. Bought new wiring kit,pole guide lights.

Then I found this 17" to 18" Bass boat trailer Cheap and needs about the same amount of work but I now have trailers that fits the boats.

Attachments

• Boats 001.JPG
    Boats 001.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 801
  • Boats 002.JPG
    Boats 002.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 801
I paid $800.00 but plan was to restore and sell but I can't think of doing that.I have looked back on past Fl stickers to 1986 and still can't any info on a year or even another one like it. Still doing a back history to find any info I can. That's one thing I hate is not know what I have or no paper work.

Next few weeks the build will take off and rebuild of the boat and trailer. The wood work was thinking White Ash for seating and gunwales with a Cherry or Mahogany inlay.

What do you guys think with sealing the wood but no matter what it's not going to be cheap with all the wood but looks is what I wanting Vs cost.
1. Oil ( reoil as needed).
2. Varish.
3. Epoxy (polish to mirror like )

Here is what a sample of of the Inlay would look like below.

What ya think

Attachments

• gunwale.jpg
    gunwale.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 796

Latest posts