Please help me control my spinning boat !

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T. Bass

Reaction score
Since I sold my outboard motor, my boat has been spinning too much while drifting. I now fish in the bow, along with my trolling motor and battery. Would a stationary rudder or something in the rear help? If so, how can I make one? My boat is a 1648 flat jon. Thanks.

Hey bud,
I have the same issue with my plastic pond hopper. I am having bassboy1(board sponsor) make me a rudder like the one he made here in this link: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30023&p=309586&hilit=rudder#p309527

I should have it this week. :beer:

https://www.fishonfabrications.com

You didn't say what you were doing when it spins (anchored, trolling, river or lake wind etc? 5lb of chain on a clothesline works wonders in rivers. My troller also has an autosteer function that's handy for holding position or crossing current.

never used a chain before but have read it can be used to slow a boat down while drifting or trolling. Could try different size buckets tied to the boat to slow it down and maybe provide some control similar to a drift sock

You might consider getting a drift sock. I have been using them for 20 years and they work great!
https://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/catalog.aspx?catid=driftcontrol

muskiemike12 said:
You might consider getting a drift sock. I have been using them for 20 years and they work great!
+2! A drift sock will not only stabilize your drift, but it will slow you down giving the fish more time to find your bait.
When fishing the gulf, the wind and tide can make for a screaming drift. I have seen as much as .3kts on the GPS.
A Drift Sock will cut that down substantially. Jerry :)

My problem is NOT drifting speed, it's spinning while drifting. Also, keeping the boat going straight while trolling motor is on low. I was told that if I put my battery in the rear, it will help the spinning. Is that correct?

maybe you should try keeping the TM on the slowest speed to maintain control and prevent spinning. The drift socks will help with the spinning due to the increased drag on one corner/end of the boat but will it be enough, it would be trial and error to find the solution. Yes a rudder would help but you will be constantly adjusting the rudder as well.

I used to put my anchor overboard and tie it off(around the same distance as a skeg).
This is when I had no outboard,the anchor is 15 lbs...helped some.

The problem is that with those shallow draft jons they don't have enough lateral resistance when getting hit by wind hence the spin. It's nowhere near as bad in a deep v. In my Jon I use a 5 gallon bucket with about 15 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom. I also drag this when trolling with larger outboards to slow them down.

I have the same problem when trolling on electric only lakes, especially on windy days. I do have a bow mount and a transom trolling motors though. I've found that if I tilt the rear motor so that about halve the motor is in the water (prop sticking out) it provides just enough drag to stop the rear from blowing around too bad. I've even thought about making a bigger skag for it so I can use it like a rudder.

Today I cut a piece of scrap plywood to 12" X 20" for a rudder. This will be bolted to an old trolling motor shaft once I finish painting the plywood. Hopefully the weather will cool off soon so I can try it out. It's been terribly hot here lately.

It could just be a weight issue, if you've got too much in the front and not enough in back the wind will push the rear around more. The battery in the back might definitely help out, and you'll only know if you try it. I'd definitely try some weight distribution before you start buying wind socks and rudders.

A rudder or drift sock will help. Basically, you just need some drag on the stern. I have the same issue when bowfishing with a jet drive or when the outboard is trimmed out.

Yesterday I moved the battery to the rear, and made a rudder. I bolted a 12" X 20" piece of plywood to an old trolling motor shaft. When the weather cools off a little I will try it out.

Latest posts