Project: Shoebox - 1764 Fisher FINISHED!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
absolutely loving this resto. For 900 you freakin stole that thing, as a 12ft boat in my area is fetching around that price. I'd kill to have found that deal! Keep up the great work, looks like you have the handy man gene that makes life oh so much simpler. If I were you I'd throw a fancy pants mud motor on that B and go kill me some ducks with it!!!!

I hope you repaint it camo. FYI

derekdiruz said:
absolutely loving this resto. For 900 you freakin stole that thing, as a 12ft boat in my area is fetching around that price. I'd kill to have found that deal! Keep up the great work, looks like you have the handy man gene that makes life oh so much simpler. If I were you I'd throw a fancy pants mud motor on that B and go kill me some ducks with it!!!!

I hope you repaint it camo. FYI

Thanks man. I am still on the fence about painting it camo or not. If I do paint it camo, I want it to be a Grade A job, not unlike what was on the boat the first time, a craptastic job. Would love to get a mud motor on this thing, but maybe down the road. Thanks for responding and watching the progress. 8)

Update on the build. So far I am concentrating on the trailer and getting it all cleaned up and ready to paint. I think I am going with a black and white color scheme, and will explain below how I would paint the trailer. If any one has any other ideas for color, shoot. I still don't know if I want to camo it or not. I could shoot a decent color on it and just use a home made blind during the hunting season....any thoughts/ideas on this?? :idea: :idea: :?: :?:

On to the build....

I started to wrap up sanding on the console. I let the black epoxy stuff cure for quite a few days. I wanted to add an extra coat just to ensure the console wouldn't crack anymore and to help strengthen the weak spots. I hand sanded the console using a light touch with 220 grit.
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

After sanding the epoxy and Bondo red putty, I added one last coat of the red putty to fill in the some of the valleys, hairline cracks and gaps. It will cure until Thursday, and will be sanded. That will be it for the console, and will be ready for paint (color pending).
image030.jpg

image031.jpg

So far I am pleased with the results, and have no more major tears, torn or missing pieces. I just hope it holds, while out in the elements and on the water. The repairs seem to be very strong and holding well.
image032.jpg

image033.jpg

Next up was the trailer parts. This hasen't been to bad of a job, but the heat wave we are having here in Southwestern Idaho is keeping me from working on it during long periods. I start out in the morning and stop around 2pm. I could do this in my garage and get some shade, but it makes a mess to clean up. These 100+ degree days need to go.... :evil:

I started with the bunk brackets and one of the wheel steps. The plan was first to use Loctite's Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver and let them soak. Afterwards I PW'ed the parts to remove the gunk jelly, then used a steel cup on my angle grinder and 3M's stripper pads on my elec. drill to remove the rest of the rust areas.

The wheel step I was focused on today.
image008.jpg

These are the 4 bunk brackets (I think they are really called guide on brackets). Notice the rust built up on them.
image009.jpg

This is the Rust Dissolver by Loctite I used. I let it sit for about an hour before I used a wire brush to knock the rust loose, then power washed.
image014.jpg

Here are the brackets after using the Rust Dissolver, brushing and washing.
image017.jpg

And here they are after I used a steel cup on them. Sorry if its a little bright, but that's the Idaho sun for you.
image018.jpg

Next was the step. This is after the rust dissolver jelly.
image016.jpg

Making progress in the heat. Notice my angle grinder and drill in the upper right corner. I was switching back and forth between tools to get in some of the smaller and awkward places. I also had a standing fan next to me to keep the heat down. It helped, just a little....
image020.jpg

Finally all cleaned up. Just have one more to go.
image023.jpg

The plan from here is to clean up the wheel wells, the wheels, the axel and springs, strip the winch housing and wheel jack (or replace it) and the trailer itself.

As I mentioned above, here is the color scheme I think I am shooting for. If you guys have any other ideas, let me know. I am open to suggestions and rad ideas. I really don't want to go with just one color. I think having two would be kind of cool and unique, and make the trailer stand out.

Here is my idea using a black and white color scheme (or sumtin' different)

The four brackets sitting on top would be painted white, with the steps being painted black.
image028.jpg

The winch housing would be painted white, along with the wheel jack.
image034.jpg

The wheel wells would be painted white...
image035.jpg

...along with the wheels.
image036.jpg

The rest of the trailer would be painted black. Looking for some feedback on this.

P.S.
I will not have an update for about two weeks. I will be in Montana doing some fishing and relaxing with family and hopefully getting away from this heat. I hope to have my boat back from the welder as well, when I return. Its gonna suck not being able to work on this project, but I have a good excuse. :mrgreen:

After I return, I plan on finishing the trailer and getting it painted and put back together. After that, the boat will get its paint job. :LOL2: Once the boat is painted, I can finally get it upright and on the trailer and start the fun stuff, getting the inside done! Thanks for watching the build. Holler at ya'll in two weeks!

$900? $900?!?!?! You gotta be kidding me. Here in the Northeast, the motor is worth $600, the trailer $600 and the boat $1000. Lucky to get it as a package for less than $2000. I am flabbergasted.

Making great progress on this on thing. Doing things right with great attention to detail. I'm impressed. Hope to get started on my boat soon and seeing your work helps get motivated to not cut corners and do things right the first time.

laxtond said:
Making great progress on this on thing. Doing things right with great attention to detail. I'm impressed. Hope to get started on my boat soon and seeing your work helps get motivated to not cut corners and do things right the first time.

Thanks. Take your time and don't be lackadaisical with it. One day at a time, and you'll be surprised how much progress you make. Cutting corners just makes for problems in the long run.

Well I am back from leave and enjoyed my time away. Got to see A LOT of boats in western Montana waters and A LOT of older boats for sale as well. Some would make for a great project. Also did some fishing out of my father-in-laws bayliner. Caught some Pike trolling, but his boat isn't really ideal for fishing. But I am back to business as usual on Project Shoebox.

Got quite a bit done with my trailer, and FINALLY got my boat back from the mechanic! :LOL2: :LOL2:

Let us continue....

Started with the console first. Wanted to finish this bad boy up. All I had left to do was sand the Bondo putty and wipe it down with a tack cloth.

Here she is before the sanding.
image050.jpg

image051.jpg

Hand sanding away. I used a 120 grit first, then wiped the console down with my tack cloth. Then I followed it up with a 220 grit. Lightly sanded. It took some time to remove the excessive putty, but turned out great. Note the respirator I am wearing. This crap turns into a very fine dust. Use one if you have it.
image055.jpg

Here are the results...
image058.jpg

image059.jpg

image060.jpg

image061.jpg

This section of the console came out just as I wanted. It is reinforced and patched, and hopefully wont crack any more.
image062.jpg

FINALLY DONE WITH THE CONSOLE!!! =D> =D> =D> This puppy is now ready to be painted. For now its going to sit out of the way until its ready for paint. I am happy with the results and glad the tears and missing corners are now fixed. Console.....CHECK!

Went and got the boat back from the welder. I was anxious to see how it would turn out. I couldn't have been any happier with the results. Was glad to finally have it back, but its going to have to stay on my flat bed for a bit until I can get the trailer finished.

Her she is on my flat bed, ready for pick up.
image003.jpg

Here is the bottom of the bow that was corrected. I was glad to get it welded and keep the stress crack from going further and also allowing water to get it.
image020.jpg

Here is what it looked like before the repairs.
image001.jpg

This was also welded. It was a crack, starting to develope in bottom, near the stern.
image022.jpg

Before the repairs.
image002.jpg

The welder did a great job, and only charged me $85 for the repairs. He originally quoted me $120. I'll take that any day. Not a bad price when welder's in my area charge about $90 an hour in labor to do welding work.

Next was to finishing stripping the rest of the parts of the trailer. I have the axle, the wheel wells, the wheels, the springs and the last step frame to do. I also took the tires off the axle and made a trip to Les Schwab to get them removed off the wheels, so I could strip the wheels.

I started with the wheel wells first. These were pretty clean, but needed some tidying up. I used a 3M Stripper Pad attached to my drill to clean er' up, and a brass wire wheel to get into the edges and curved area of the wells.
image004.jpg

All cleaned and ready for paint. The top side of em'.
image007.jpg

and the insides...
image010.jpg

Next up was the step. I purchased a Flap Disk that attaches to my grinder. I never used one before and decided to give it a shot. MAN!! These things work fast and do a swell job of stripping paint and rust. :LOL2: It took me about 10 minutes of work to get the step clean. I am going to purchase more for the rest of the trailer. I did use a steel cup in some areas, especially on the diamond tread.
image014.jpg

The step before cleaning...
image012.jpg

and after using the Flap Disk and steel cup.
image016.jpg

The axle was next on the list.
image023.jpg

First I needed to remove the springs from the axle. I wanted to check for rust and worn down hardware (like washers and nuts).
image025.jpg

I am glad I did. I noticed the washers were severed in half from rust and wear. They will be replace with new ones. I am pretty sure these aren't locking washers, hope I am not wrong.
image029.jpg

The springs are off the axle and everything is ready to be stripped.
image033.jpg

I used Aircraft Remover on the springs and wrapped some Saran Wrap around them. I got this tip from a poster in the forums. I cant remember his name, but the idea behind the wrap, is that it holds in the Aircraft Remover's fumes, and prevents it from drier out faster. I let them sit for about 30 minuets and did the same to the axle.

The springs.
image034.jpg

The axle....
image036.jpg

As I waited for the springs and axle and went to work on the wheels. Here they are before, without any stripper.
image037.jpg

Here's what Aircraft Remover can do. Notice the bubbling. This stuff is nasty. Make sure you wear eye protection and chemical resistant gloves when applying it. It will also burn your skin. You will know right away if you get any on you. Even a little drop burns.
image038.jpg

Instead of using Saran Wrap for the wheels, I decided to use heavy duty garbage bags that I had, doubling them up.
image039.jpg

As I let those sit, I decided to tackle the winch housing. I wanted to remove the old winch and the rubber bumper to prep it for painting. The old winch is going into the trash. It is warped and does not lock well and really isn't worth my time or effort to fix it. I purchased a new one at Walmart for $33.
image040.jpg

The winch is gone, and now to remove the bumper housing.
image045.jpg

Here is the housing, all separated and getting ready to be stripped and wrapped.
image046.jpg

After everything was sitting for awhile, I grabbed the springs and started to strip the paint off of em'. The wrap technique worked quite well, and removed almost all the paint off the springs.
image035.jpg

I was curious if the rest of the parts would come off with a pressure washer, and to be honest with you I was quite tired of stripping by hand, using a putty knife. So, I decided to load the rest of the parts up in my pick up and visit the local car wash. I would of done this at home, but my PW is kinda out of whack right now (electrical problem). The high pressure did the job, and removed most of the old paint. Here are the results.
image047.jpg

image048.jpg

image049.jpg

Man, I am so close to getting this trailer painted. It is about 90% done. Just have some rust removal to do in some areas, and some spot cleaning of left over paint. I still have to go over the trailer frame for some touch up work, but that shouldn't take long. Hopefully I can start painting some of the smaller parts tomorrow, and finish the rest of it up on Tuesday, next week. I'll keep ya posted and thanks for looking!! :wink:

Looking good - keep the pictures coming!

Also side note - those washers arent severed. They are lock washers.

=D> =D>

Very nice!!! Excellent attention to every detail!! Loking forward to seeing this one come together.

HeavyHook said:
Looking good - keep the pictures coming!

Also side note - those washers arent severed. They are lock washers.

You are right. They are lock washers. As I was taking the rest of them off, I noticed all of them were like that. Still gonna get new ones for it and thanks.

Ictalurus said:
=D> =D>

Very nice!!! Excellent attention to every detail!! Loking forward to seeing this one come together.

Thanks man. It is coming along. Just got done with the trailer frame, sanding and stripping, today. I will be posting pics this evening. Should be painting soon!!

Well I didn't get to painting today, like I had planned, but finally finished stripping and cleaning up the trailer frame and the rest of the parts. I tell ya, I am really sick of stripping :sick: Its all I have really been doing :roll: :roll: :roll: since I started this whole project. BUT it's almost done, and I can finally move on to the fun stuff. And I am sure my neighbors are tired of hearing sanders, grinders and drills playing in their ears all afternoon :mrgreen: Anyway's here's the update.

The last few days was spent detailing the trailer parts and hitting the frame. The wheels and the frame itself took the longest to do. I got the trailer frame finished up today. Here are the wheels all cleaned up. These will be painted white.
image003.jpg

Next up were the springs. They appear to be in good shape and will be painted black.
image002.jpg

Here is the winch and bumper housing. It will be painted white.
image004.jpg

The axle. Just have some minor cleaning to do near the hub heads and its done. It will be painted black.
image005.jpg

All the trailer parts together and cleaned, with the exception of the frame itself.
image006.jpg

All the above was done the last few days, today was the trailer frame itself. It took my whole day away to finish up, but it is DONE!!! =D> =D> =D> Here it is before being attacked with my grinder. I lifted the frame higher off the ground, to make it easier on me and my back.
image008.jpg

After I finished, I hit the frame with some warm soapy water, using Dawn dish soap, and a bristle brush. The metal felt pretty rough, due to all the fine metal particles and dust that was created during the stripping process. A quick wash corrected that, and got rid of the dust. With a clean work piece, the primer should adhere well. I didn't let it sit and air dry. I used a towel to dry everything up. It's feels really smooth now. The plan is to do the same thing with the rest of the parts. Right before I apply my primer, all pieces will get hit with some Acetone to nab any oils, dirt and grim.
image018.jpg

I forgot to take a pic after I washed the frame, but heres what she looks like. The spots you see in the front angles, (the triangles) are gone.
image016.jpg

I should have primer on tomorrow, and hopefully the first coat of paint. I plan I doing some light coats, sanding, coat, sand, etc, until I think it's done. The goal is to have the entire trailer painted by or on Friday. Got some rain in the forecast for the week, so we will see how it goes. Until then, cheers! :beer:

Well I am finally done stripping the trailer and parts and started to get some primer on. Only got a few light coats on before the rain came and forced me to stop early, but hey its a start.

First I finished up cleaning the hub heads. Had some light rust, so I used some rust dissolver to eat it away.
image006.jpg

I then washed all parts down with mild soap and water, and dried everything with a towel. There was some remainder residue left over from stripping, and I wanted a clean surface for the primer to apply to. Before I gave the first coat of primer, I sprayed a part down with some Acetone and used a microfiber cloth to wipe it. Acetone is a good choice, IMHO, due to that it leaves no residue and dries fast, and cleans very well.
image001.jpg

Here is the primer and paint I am using. It is a Rustoleum product, called Professional High Performance and is a Enamel. According to the label, its suppose to protect metal real well, and prevent chipping, fading, etc. I guess I will see how it holds up in the near future. The colors are white and black gloss.
image008.jpg

And here it is folks!!! The first coat of primer! Didn't think I get to this stage. It's just a very light fog for the first coat. Same light fog technique will be used for a second coat and so on, until the work piece is covered. By the way, invest into one of these spray can handles. They make the painting process smooth and easier to handle than the traditional hand holding way.
image002.jpg

The brackets with their second coat.
image003.jpg

Here below is what I ALMOST got done. Saw some storm clouds moving in, and had to stop and pick up. Glad I did, because it poured 30 minutes later. These are not done yet, and need about one more coat. Hopefully tomorrow the weather wont shut me out and let me make a huge dent in priming everything.
image004.jpg

image005.jpg

Well, I am all done with painting the trailer and its parts. I was expecting it to be done last Friday, but that didn't happen. The process was longer than I though it would be. I took my time with the process, applying multiple light coats, allowing some time between them to dry.

Here is the frame, all cleaned and wiped with Acetone, before being primed.
image001.jpg

A second coat of primer.
image004.jpg

All finished with the primer and waiting to be painted.
image007.jpg

image010.jpg

Here she is, all painted up.
image046.jpg

image043.jpg

The springs. I originally was going to paint these black, but changed my mind, and put some white to em'. I thought it would look different to have white springs attached to a black painted axle.
image048.jpg

The guide on brackets.
image050.jpg

These last two pics are of the winch housing.
image054.jpg

image051.jpg