proper safety equipment, long but please read, and comment..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshman

Reaction score
i know im still kind of new here but reading a few things got me thinking...on another message board this week there was a guy who found a fatigued, ready to break spot on his jackplate on a 300 hp outboard motor on a boat capable of 100 mph!!

on this board another post a discussion about trailer safety chains, and another post, it was suggested that a fire extinguisher be carried on board...

brings me to this....

check your stuff, be prepared for anything...

how many do something just because the laws says??

trailer safety chains...will the hooks, the mounting points, and chain itself hold if the coupler comes unhooked and you have to drag a little more to get to a safe stopping point?? are they so long that they drag on the highway?? if it does come unhooked you dont want the trailer tongue sitting on the pavement...

a good spare tire for trailer... and a jack and lug wrench...and a board to put jack on...some truck jacks can jack a trailer, some cant...some truck lug wrenches may fit a trailer, most wont... try jacking up a trailer on side of road on soft ground, a board will help...

grease them axle bearings regularly...try finding a new spindle, hub, and wheel/tire at 5am on a sunday in the middle of nowhere....(if that wheel does fly off at 70MPH, youll never find it!! when i was a kid we had one fly off, pass us up, and fly over a barn off in the distance!!)

trailer lights!!!! yeah they can be a pain in the butt, but you need to be seen....

if you have a fire on board, you will want a fire extinguisher...carry one...

if you break down or your fishing partner is having a heart attack or whatever else and you have to get attention very quick, you will want an air horn..or signal flares...

drain plug...dont leave home without it, or a spare...i keep one in my daybag(fishing tackle), one in my tow vehicle glove compartment...and the one in the boat of course...

clamp on outboard motor... clamp it, and a safety cable (and 2 bolts if the motor stays on the boat)... they CAN come unclamped..

a basic tool kit....pliers, crescent wrench, screwdriver, electrical tape, duct tape, wire ties, wire nuts...some wire cutters that will actually cut a hook in your arm...

i fish in pretty remote marshes in south louisiana...i never ever go without bringing food and water even if im going for just a 2 or 3 hour trip...you break down or get stuck, have to spend the night, you will want food and water....its best for people to know where youll be, but honestly, with my fishing style, the best i can do is tell you where im going to launch...

have a good safe spot to keep important things....if boat is capsizing, your saftey equipment is useless if you cant get to it...quickly!!

i dont get to go fishing as much as i like...but when i go i dont want the trip ruined by some little unexpected thing...i believe in being prepared...the worst can always happen...

feel free to add anything ive forgotten to mention...im sure ill think of something else as soon as i hit the submit button...

**** and strap that danged ice chest lid down!!! i wish i had a dollar for every ice chest lid ive seen on the side of the highway...i probably could afford to buy a yeti!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll add some more:

Always look for options out of bad experiences. From driving to the water to running to your fishing site to trolling, always expect the unexpected and think about options.

My old 9.9 Merc could be locked onto the transom by putting both clamp handles together.

Set a routine checklist for hitting the water and stick to it. Mine:

1. Check the oil and fuel, start the engine at home. Plug in the trolling motor and check the battery charge and that it works.

2. Hook the trailer to the truck, put the drain plug in while checking the lights and rear strap. Kick the tires (check them once a month along with the lube caps)

3. Lock the trailer to the truck, put the key on the floor of the truck.

4. At the water, I unhook the rear strap and verify the plug is in while the kid unhooks the front and grabs the bow line. I put both seats upright as I walk back to the truck.

5. Back into the water until the hull floats free, wait for the kid to pull it out from over the trailer.

6. Park the truck and trailer, lock everything.

I was in the bait shop near one of the lakes near me a couple years ago. This lake is rather shallow and has a lot of submerged tree stumps. They had some pictures laying on the counter of about an 80's model 16' side console fishing boat with about a 60-90hp outboard. The boat hit one of the stumps at full speed and it ripped the outboard off the transom and flipped it up into the center of the boat. Luckily the driver was at the side console and the motor just missed hitting him. Could you imagine having a 90hp outboard land on you?

Pay attention to your depth finder and whats going on around you.

It's always a good idea to study a map of the lake you plan on visiting and make note of places to watch out for. There are too many people that fly around lakes they are unfamiliar with and it causes accidents.

Also, it's good to stay sky aware and check the weather before you leave, and if possible, while you are out there via smart phone or weather radio.

One of the most important things, for me anyway, is a dry bag with layers of dry clothes and waterproof matches. I carry enough clothes for 2 guys because I typically hunt with just a buddy. I've duck hunted in temps cold enough that we have had to break ice off the river to be able set decoys. You fall in the river when its 35 degree water temperature and in the teens ambient temp, your going to need some dry clothes and a fire going FAST.

I agree with most but have to take exception to the one about a fire extinguisher. I have one because the law says I must BUT, if the boat catches fire the last thing I intend to do is stay onboard. Get the hell away from it because you have no idea how big the fire may become or how long your little 9.99 extinguisher is going to last.

Get to the bank and call the insurance company and say, "YOU have an issue with MY boat"..... BoatUS... 800-937-1997 tell them Bailey said Hi!!!

good point on the dry clothes...i failed to mention that but would do that in the wintertime....and i carry a lighter with back up matches and small fire starter block in my tool kit(in a waterproof box)...

fire extinguisher...if a small fire starts, it can be extinguished quickly...but yeah obviously it its too big, yeah itd be best to abandon ship...but theres some places i fish that there is no bank, or its floating bank that youll sink when you step foot on it!!....