Rhyan Craft: Now BRINE CRAFT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just called a local metal supplier and wanted to see if a 20' length of 1" tubing with 1/16" wall for $20 is a decent price. It sounds good to me but i only have home depot to compare it to and I have heard from many on the boards how outrageous their aluminum prices are.

cathprod said:
I just called a local metal supplier and wanted to see if a 20' length of 1" tubing with 1/16" wall for $20 is a decent price. It sounds good to me but i only have home depot to compare it to and I have heard from many on the boards how outrageous their aluminum prices are.

Sounds fair to me.

That sounds fair to me.

If you are getting sheet, may want to go ahead and get it. In my area, prices have been climbing quite a bit. Not really sure why, as things still seem to be getting worse in my area.

Hey Brine I have a question about the ACM you used. I can get 4x8 sheets of a product called signabond for $40 (and maybe less once I check their blemished pile). It is 3mm thick and has a solid polyethylene core with a .3 mm aluminum skin on both sides. It sounds very similar to the ACM you used so I was wondering how you think this would hold up not knowing all the specs of your ACM. I will now try to give you a break from the onslaught of questions. I just can't help myself :lol:

No worries, hope I can be of help to you as so many have been to me.

Rather than speak on your product, I can tell you what I bought so you can do a comparison. Mine is Alucobond and is 4mm thick. I can't give it a review yet because I think time will have to be the ultimate test. Preliminary thoughts are good. I'm 260# and have jumped all over my deck and don't see how it could fail. Considering it's engineered to be used outdoors, I'm optomistic about its longevity. That said, I would have used .125 Aluminum sheet if I could have afforded to, simply for it's dependability. I'm under the impression that this product will never want to delaminate. Considering the amount of rivets I've used on the deck, I don't think it has the ability to.

Thanks guys.

I'm in the middle of paint as we speak.

Hey Brine,

I just went back through your build from the beginning. You are building a masterpiece. I've been racking my brain for something to use for a livewell, and I totally missed it before on using a water tank for the livewell. Thanks for the insight (Keep Fish Alive = Water = Water Tank = Live Well). Amazing how blind we can be. #-o DOH!

Now I'm off to check Craig's List.

Thanks lb.

I stumbled across the water tank simply by putting in my measurements (which I searched the world over for to fit the boat correctly) and the word "tank" I think. I never new they existed :D . I got mine from someone in FL selling them on ebay.

on your herculiner did you roll or brush/dab it on? Im going that route with mine tomorrow. Lined up a buddys garage that we can get warm. Headed out now to finish strippin old paint and stuff. Gotta have the trailer done by mid week next week to get the boat back on her.

Thanks for any TIPS!

196728_1883550458167_1523539454_2031102_6747672_n.jpg

Heres what Im workin with, cept its got ALOT less paint and rust on her now lol.

dave,

I used the roller that comes in the kit (which I suggest), it's the kind that's designed to pickup and then apply the granular parts of the herculiner. Whatever the roller didn't hit, I used a cheap paint brush and "dabbed" it on.

Brine,
I just went through this thread and your boat build. Rather impressive engineering!
I am definately going to steal some of your ideas when I redo my Hooptie project.
Lots of great information and out of the box thinking.
Great job!

Merlin said:
Brine,
I just went through this thread and your boat build. Rather impressive engineering!
I am definately going to steal some of your ideas when I redo my Hooptie project.
Lots of great information and out of the box thinking.
Great job!

Thanks Merlin,

I hope to have some pics with it painted soon. The weather here hasn't allowed much to happen in a week, and I have about 4 more hours of paint left.

Yea I agree with you Brine, weather sure has put a damper on things.

O...btw, I finally started a post of my project today.

So..... finally got a good day to finish up the paint. As with everything about this build, I decided to do one of the most complicated paint jobs I could have ever imagined. #-o Once upon a time, I had visions of painting the boat the same color as my 4Runner simply because I like the silver they used that year, and I had recently fished with someone who had a similar paint on his tin. Not to mention, I thought It'd look kewl in tow. 8) Fortunately, everything on this build has given me plenty of time to ponder things before doing them, and I happened upon a camo video on YouTube. After seeing some of the members camo jobs, I got drawn back in to doing it that way. The kicker with this particular camo job is that it's all done in white, 2 shades of gray, and black, and is dubbed "Urban Camo" rather than the traditional shades of brown, tan, green etc..... It has been without a doubt the least gratifying part of the process, but I think the results came out pretty good seeing how it was my first time using a spray gun and subsequent airbrush. Yes, that's right, A FREAKING AIRBRUSH #-o The first time I saw the vid, I knew this is what I wanted, and I'm fairly certain there aren't many tins painted like it, if any.

Here's the video that inspired the paint job. The music is kinda annoying, so you won't miss out on much if you turn the volume down.

[youtube]8aAxuh9YCCQ[/youtube]

I'll start with my pics in the next post.

Assuming you read my last post and watched the video, you should all be experts in Urban Camo. Here are the steps that followed:

First up was to blast the boat white. I've had this paint for over a year and got it from a member on another site I visit. It's a 2 part epoxy from Interlux and is antifouling. Nice score for free. 8)

P3140423.jpg

I now realize that I didn't show any pics (until now) of the non-skid I put down, so I'm gunna take a brief intermission to show a few of those pics. It's worth noting that everything you see white inside of the boat is a product called Tuff Coat that I got from Bass Pro Shops. One gallon barely did the boat with 2 coats. Best I can tell, It's latex paint with small chunks of rubber mixed in. I taped up all the hinges, and then rolled and brushed away.

P3160432.jpg

Close Up
P3140425.jpg

I'm thinking I'm gunna be happy with this option, as carpet was a big no, and with everything else I considered, this seems to be exactly what I wanted.