Sea Nypmh 17' Deep V.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a livewell. I liked the long skinny setup since I'll be Musky fishing a bunch.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/product/5_267_316-boat-deck-and-docking-hardware-live-wells/13483-tracker-marine-group-tracker-25-gallon-boat-poly-livewell-w-cover.html

That is a link to their site, but it's cheaper to buy on ebay because they are offering free shipping.
Just search for greatlakes skipper and then it's in their ebay store.

Looks great. That's a lot of work done. I remember you saying you were just going to paint the hull instead of steelflex. You still planning on doing that??If so what paint are you planning on using? I read on here someone used hardener in their paint and they said it made a big difference. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do myself.

I'm going to prime it with zinc chromate, then the Rustoleum marine primer, then regular Rustoleum paint.....I may try the hardener. The Tractor Supply stores sell it.

The bottom, and transom are going to be the "Aluminum" color, and the sides gloss black.

I will probably use a foam roller on the bottom. The black on the sides I'm going to spray. I'll drive it up to my BIL's house because of his compressor, setup a mini booth with tarps, and spray the black in his garage.

That's the plan anyhow.

Well another update with no pictures. :oops:

Talked to my neighbor, and he is willing to trade even up my trailer, for a trailer he has with an old bass boat on it...

The bass boats trailer sits a little lower, is longer, has longer bunks, steps build around the fenders, with diamond plate tread, and 14" tires/wheels.

It needs to be cleaned up too, but I think it will be a better starting point, and for the price of....nothing. =D>

Got the boat with the motor on it home yesterday. It's got a 65hp Johnson on it, and it's going on this boat.

It also has a set of spring loaded automatic trim tabs, and a aux motor/kicker motor bracket on it. Those are going on this boat too.

Also got enough ply, and sheet foam from my brother for my B-day, to do the floor/deck in the boat. And my B-day present to myself was a livewell aerator pump, 3 pedestal bases, a fuse block, and a gas fill, for the permanent tank.

I had to pull the boat out of the garage and the Bronco in, to do some work to it....Got the boat back in today....I've got a pretty decent supply of "stuff" so far and am getting excited to start clicking away.

5 sheets 3/4" Exterior Ply
two sheets, 1/2" ply for patterns or side panels
6 sheets 2" thick foam board insulation
4 taperlock pedestal bases.
One fixed pedestal
Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 54lb thrust bow mount.
Built in gas tank
Perko gas fill
a pretty cool steering wheel
Automatic trim tabs (like an older version of Smart Tabs)
A kicker motor bracket
65hp Johnson Engine.
50" long livewell
Livewell plumbing parts.

Probably some other stuff.

I have spring fever in a BAD WAY

This build is taking a unique turn from this point onward.

It is going to be a tiller. Bought the complete tiller handle setup from someone off Craigslist for $50. Which is an AMAZING deal.

My engine has NO prop so I don't have a starting point, and need a prop recommendation.

65HP Johnson. Just Barely 17' long. Rear has a very shallow V. I also have a set of automatic spring loaded trim tabs I'm going to install. They are approximately 8 wide X 5 long.

When I pulled my Transom boards I found some corrosion.....The spots aren't bad enough I feel I should have them welded up. I would rather not drill them out, and add rivits because there are enough holes back there already.

I was thinking of using JB Weld like a filler, to fill the pits.

Any ideas or tips on this issue?
I'd like to have my Transom boards cut and ready to go in by this time tomorrow night.

LonLB said:
When I pulled my Transom boards I found some corrosion.....The spots aren't bad enough I feel I should have them welded up. I would rather not drill them out, and add rivits because there are enough holes back there already.

I was thinking of using JB Weld like a filler, to fill the pits.

Any ideas or tips on this issue?
I'd like to have my Transom boards cut and ready to go in by this time tomorrow night.

I have used Jb weld like this and so far it is working good, it is kind of a pain however because it takes a while to set up and keeps running, i have also used regular auto body filler (so long as it says it will adhere well to aluminum), actually used it below the water line, then primer and paint over it and it works like a charm since it isn't really a strength issue as much as cosmetics. Just make sure you clean it out good, i have the same thing on my transom right now, once i put it back together i will just primer it good and put the wood over it... that's all.

I snapped a picture. This is the worst spot. Transom aluminum thickness according to my calipers is .110

Attachments

• Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,851
LonLB said:
I snapped a picture. This is the worst spot. Transom aluminum thickness according to my calipers is .110

If it were me, i would just clean the whole transom, and primer over it real good with a self etching primer before i replace the wood, that's what i'm going to do and i have some worse than that.

Scroll down to the post by Dreamcatcher.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-outdoor-photos/258829-post-link-your-project-restoration-thread-3.html

Quite similar to what you started with. Just another idea for ya. And no it is not mine.

Mike P said:
Scroll down to the post by Dreamcatcher.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-outdoor-photos/258829-post-link-your-project-restoration-thread-3.html

Quite similar to what you started with. Just another idea for ya. And no it is not mine.

Thats similiar to what I would like to do with my boat. It looks like he covered the top drain with the deck. Do you think that deck added that same structural support as the splashwell did. That would be my concern more than splashing water. Nice link! Lon you got any updates I'm waiting on those pics of your splashwell area :D

That deck is exactly what you will have to do if you remove the splash well.

Personally I'd rather have the framing built of aluminum just so it has the same flexibility and strength as the boat itself. And maintains that same structural strength longer than wood.

I don't have much for an update, but maybe I'll burn the midnight oil tonight and post something early tomorrow morning. :lol:

I believe he built that deck completely of starboard. It is strong as he has posted a lot of offshore trips for swordfish, sailfish and tuna off south Florida on the Florida Sportsmen forum in the past. I just thought it was neat finding another thread that was so similar in beginning.

Well I got at least some work done this last night/this morning....Had to take time out for a couple fishing shows though.

Anyhow this is what my new splashwell is going to look like. It will be mounted lower than what it was, on top of being much smaller. Then I'll add a short rear deck over everything except the actual well itself.
Picture 046.jpg

This is sort of what it looks like on the boat...Actually more like it's size compared to the boat, since it's just sitting there.
Picture 047.jpg

Stopped by Alro Metals in Kalamazoo....This is the place I'll get my aluminum most likely. Just got some rivets, and some heavy C channel.

The C-channel will rivet to the gunnel, and a crossmember will run from each side. Basically the same as it was, only lower than it was.

I got my transom pattern roughed in tonight. I should be able to get at least one of the final boards cut out by this time tomorrow. Maybe both. :D

Then I can finish up the transom, start decking, and framing. =P~

Latest posts