Sea Nypmh 17' Deep V.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats looking good. I like the new splashwell looks like it will resemble the newer style boats. I got a few questions since your boat is similiar to mine and I am new to working with aluminum hulls I hope you don't mind. What size and material rivets are you using? If you have to drill below or near the water line what type of fastener will you?

The rivets in the splash well are 3/16 x 1/4" grip.
I used new foam/rubber seals between each panel because that is what they did from the factory. So I replaced it with new. That added to the needed grip length.

You want to use all aluminum rivets.

There are holes in the transom that will probably be below the water line. They are drilled for bolts, that I removed when removing the boards.
I'll replace the bolts, and use plenty of 3M 5200

There are some holes that one of the previous owners drilled for the transducer. I'll probably just use regular pop rivets here. And plenty of 5200. 5200 on the outside of the rivet too.

I don't mind putting the 5200 around the outside of the rivet, since I'll be covering that area up anyway, with a sheet of plastic to mount transducers to in the future.

The metal trim that is on the outside that accepts the rubber trim.....I'm going to drill out those solid rivets, put the trim on the inside so you can't see it (for strength) and put new solid rivets in. I nothing about these like the stock rivets. There is a guy here in MI that has the tools and know how to install them so I was planning to contact him when it's that time.

Anyhow in summary keep in mind where the rivets are being used, and size accordingly.

For instance on my gunnell, there are some really small rivets, and the head has to be small too, because trim goes over them, and I can't have the rivets holding up the trim.
1/8" rivets with 1/8" grip is what I'm using in those spots.

The framing for the decks, rod boxes etc I'll use 3/16's rivets.

Always a horse trader/deal shopper....
I traded some baits that I have, and a fishing reel, for a Lowrance X125. It doesn't have any cables, but I had extras that will work for that unit.
Score.

Also paid for a Lowrance Globalmap 1000. Pretty old technology but does have a decent base map. Got a good deal on it too IMO. $100 shipped.

I'm going to mount the Globalmap, and an X102c that I have back by the tiller console, and the X125, and a Lowrance H20 on a ram mount up front.
I may buy a card for my H20 this summer....

Hopefully I can talk the wife into an HDS7, or similar Hummingbird next year at tax time.

My transom boards are done and ready to go in. Just have to zinc chromate the aluminum and paint it, then install the boards.

Got my floor cut and set in place today. Just to check the fit. I still need to gluvit, cut the foam I have, and rivet the floor down.
Picture 055.jpg

My new deadline is End of April.....Why am I not surprised I had to move that back a month. :oops:

This is the "Rig" I'm getting the trailer from. With my current trailer, I was going to extend the back end of the trailer so that it extended to the back of the boat. With this one, I won't have to. Plus it's wider and therefore more stable. Also the "new" one has 14" or 15" tires/wheels.
Also has the built in steps/fenders like most bass boat trailers do.

The plan is to sand blast it, paint, new lights/wiring, and if money allows some aluminum wheels and new tires.

This boat will go on my current trailer when I do the swap.
2011-04-02 17.02.23.jpg

work schedule is kicking my butt.

It WILL be done, before July, but beyond that I can't say for sure.

Other than that, not much. I'm on the homestretch, but can't find time to get er' done.

Naturally schedules for projects like these are foolish. :twisted: So I am not done, and no longer have a deadline.

I have a question.
Looking for thoughts on using the aerator pump to pump out the livewell. My idea or plan was to use a valve on the line running from the aerate pump to the livewell. And have a line on the valve that runs to a through hull.

Reason being the way the stringers are built, I was not able to run a drain hose under the floor. And the floors are already in, and fastened.

Does anyone else use a pump put for their livewell vs a drain? Hate it, like it, comments?

Need to make a trailer decision soon.

Keep the one I have or switch to another trailer. Switching will cost nothing as my neighbor will trade even up.
Current Trailer.
Picture091.jpg
The Other Trailer.
2011-04-02 17.02.23.jpg

I'll have the one I use sand blasted.

The current trailer has an advantage in that it is lighter, but especially in that it would be easy to add a swing away tongue. Which I would do.
However, I don't think it's long enough, so I would need to extend it in the rear. I also would want to do a few modifications like built in steps, new fenders, etc.

The "other trailer" will be hard to add a swing-away to. It has larger tires/wheels though (14" vs 13"), built in fenders/steps, and heavier-duty.

I would likely have to modify bunks on this trailer, but would likely do the same to the trailer the boat is on now.

Which would you choose?

Well yesterday I got the front deck ready to go in. Added some structural aluminum to catch the hatches when they close. I'll add some additional braces that run to the floor.

This boat originally was setup so people could sit up there. I copied the deck layout, but now have to add a middle section.-that is why there is an odd shaped hatch, and one missing-that I still need to make.

Also got the livewell riveted in place on the one end. I used a rubber tape material between the deck and framing. I'm holding the aluminum to the decking with stainless machine screws and riv nuts, or whatever they are called. Basically a knurled washer/nut combo. I'll trim off the extra :D not just leave it.
Before the boat is carpeted, this front deck is going to get padding. I picked up a pack of yoga, or workout mat, tiles, and am going to use those.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 1,558
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,558
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,558
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,558
ZERO motivation today to do anything but watch movies. Had a late night last night with the family around the fire, then a movie.

Finally I got restless enough that I had to do something.

So I made another bow casting deck hatch cover.
Picture 017.jpg

Glad to see your still making posts. I have had to many of those nights around a fire and then wake up with my son bright and early not feeling so bright. Keep the posts coming!!

dude nice job i've done half a dozen starcraft boats basicly the same as what your doing. you are doing such a through job i have to tell you that in just a few years you will be replacing that extieor grade plywood i used it once and will never use it again i use MDO ply covered on both sides it is used for signs and concrete forms it holds up very well i've had it in one of the boats 10 years and no signs of rot 3/4 inch goes for 54$ a sheet here in massachusettes thatsabout half of the cost of marine grade and i feel its just as good i just dont want to see all your hard work rot away on you

Glenn

I hope not on the wood. :x

I think I'll be OK though. It'll be in a garage when I'm not using it, so it'll stay dry. My dad did a boat years ago with el-cheapo pine ply, that was thompsons sealed, and then painted, and it lasted at least 15 years. Was still good when he sold it. Always covered well, or stored in a garage.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The boat was never right when on the trailer it was on when I bought it. I figured if I kept it, I would have to do some work, new bunks, and maybe even extending it in the back.

Instead today I got it off the trailer, the other boat off the trailer, and this boat on the bigger trailer.

It isn't just right yet, but with some adjustment will be a much better trailer. Just needs some sandblasting/paint/rollers/winch/jack/lights/wheels. :lol:

Boat on foam...Wife helping, and yard a mess because of football season.
Picture 023.jpg

Old trailer.
rsz_picture_024.JPG

"New trailer"
rsz_picture_025.JPG

Boat on "new trailer" I had to cut off the side bunk/guide on's, and re-adjust the lower bunks. Oddly enough when I removed the side bunks, and was underneath getting foam under the boat, and trying to move the bunks I noticed the wood is like brand new....So I'll just re-carpet it.
Picture 026.jpg

So..........
I'll be starting school this winter, and hope to be done in 4 yrs or less. This will be a big financial sacrifice for our family, so that means that some of the nice things I had planned will have to wait.

HOWEVER, I have decided to just use it. Even if it isn't "done" I'm going to have it ready to put in the water and use next spring.

So no 897cSI's or I-pilot trolling motors in my future.

Just being on the water will be great though. I was on the lake today working, and saw a 3-4lb smallie, and a 2.5-3lb largemouth....

Made me wish the boat was done!

This thing had padded vinyl trim panels on the interior gunnel. Those rusty things in the picture below, are the studs that were attached in the panels.

I'm looking for ideas to trim this out, to eliminate the holes, and make it look much nicer.
Picture 013.jpg
Picture098.jpg

One of the things I wanted to do is add a tackle box in the bow/stern. The one in the bow would be good to support the transition or gap that is there in the gunnel.
These would be made using vinyl eaves inside to hang long musky lures. And make it removable so I can use it for storage when not musky fishing.

Like this
TACKLE BOX.JPG

Latest posts