seek opinions before I buy my next boat this winter/spring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancocasrich

Reaction score
I just moved to Madison WI and want to spend time on the local and state waters. I have owned several aluminum boats and have liked each of them for various reasons.

I intend to purchase my next boat this winter or spring. It will be aluminum and used (probably). I will use it for fishing and also as a pleasure boat to take my toddler granddaughter out on the water (and maybe pull in a tube some day).

I am a senior retiree and reasonably physically able. I am thinking 15'-16'. I want an open boat, v bottom or semi-vee, with bench seats and maybe walk-throughs. I think about 25 hp will do. I want tiller control and electric start with power trim and tilt. Some storage would be a plus. I would like a trolling motor and fish finder.

I intend to trailer the boat and park it on my property. My budget is $4K - $7K. I have no preference for make of boat.

All suggestions and opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks (anyone got one to sell?)

Madison has several boat dealers. Call them and find out what they have. There are also two boat dealers in West Bend, about forty miles north east of Madison. I"ve bought boats from each of them. Good people. They both have web sites showing their used inventory. They are Cedar Lake Sales and Keiths Marine. Check out their inventories and call them. They won't steer you wrong. Talk to Al at Cedar Lake or Keith at Keiths Marine. The are located within a few miles of each other, on Hwy 33. Really easy to visit both in one afternoon.

Good luck

I would gear for 16-17ft, wide boat like 76 inches or more and a minimum of 50hp with electric start
and T+T like you mentioned. Also go for a 20 inch transom unless it is a bass boat style which are quite wide and don't seem to have the swamping issues some smaller boats do. I would think your price range would be adequate for this.
Tim