Stability of Jon & V hull boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon6218

Reaction score
Im 15 and am looking into buying a boat as a project. I was set on a 12' jon(because it fits perfectly where I want to put it) until I started reading about stability. I am going to have probably 2 people in it and was told a 14' is about the minumum for 2 people & it still being fairly stable.
My question is which boat has more stability? A Flat bottom jon or a semi-V or mod-v. I dont know the difference between a Semi-V & Mod-V either if someone will please explain. I want the best stability & resistant to flipping in the water. I really dont know where ill be taking it yet. I plan on putting on atleast a 15hp motor in the future aswell. Please help I hardly know anything when it comes to boats. :wink: I would custom weld one with a wider bow but I dont have a way of welding it.

Generally, the width of the boat at the bottom will determine the stability. 12 foot boats are usually tippy due to their narrow widths. 14 foot flatbottoms are made with 30" to 48" bottom widths. The most common is probably 36". From what I have seen over the years, V-hull boats are somewhat wider than flatbottoms. My boat is 55" wide at the bottom of the transom and is 14' long. I find it to be very stable with 2 large people in it and would probably be just fine with 3. A 1448 Flatbottom is also a very useable and stable size. Take in mind that my experiences have been on a large freshwater lake and the largest waves aren't more than 2' tall.

As to the hull shapes...Flat bottoms are just that. They have flat bottoms. They usually have very little draft (float very shallow) and do not ride very well in chop or waves. They are easy to modify. A V hull is almost a hybrid. They tend to have a V shaped bow that tapers to a flat bottom in about half the boats length (some taper quicker, some slower). V Hulls are great boats and tend to draft shallow and take chop better than straight flatbottoms. Modified V hulls will have a V the entire length of the hull. The degree may only be a few degrees from flat, but that is enough to make a noticeable difference in ride characteristics. A mod V boat will draft a little more than a flatbottom or V hull, but rides much better and takes waves/chop better. I think of something similar to the shape of a modern bass boat hull. A deep V has a more pronounced V shape the entire length of the hull. They draft much more than the others, but are able to handle much rougher seas/waves.

I hope this helps you out. Welcome to the forum! I would recommend a minimum of a 1436 if you stick with a flatbottom. If you are stuck with a 12 footer, take a look at an older Vhull. these boats can usually be had for a reasonable price, and many will be a stable width for 2 folks.

Welbilt and Weldcraft both sell 12' jons with 48" bottoms with Weldbilt being the cheaper of the two. Both are welded. Here is a website that has plenty of pics of them. Don't know where you live.

https://www.backwoodslanding.com/

Cheaper place if you find one you like.

https://www.harboursmarine.com/

I had many of people from multiple places boo me for wanting a 12' boat but it is all I need for where I will be fishing. I went with a Weldcraft 1248 and purchased mine at Bull Bayou Marine in Arkansas. They came in $400 cheaper than everybody else and was the most friendly and helpful.

I also would recommend the wider bottom. Much more stable, and more room for your "gear", especially with 2 people.

Regardless of hull width, if you are sitting parallel to a passing boats wake you are going to flop around a bit. If you are loaded heavy you'll risk swamping either way. Buy a hull that will handle your load. Heck, spend some time at a busy local ramp and see what other folks are running and get an idea how those hulls sit int he water when loaded.

An older 12' jon is a great starter hull for a new boater. It's light enough that you can deal with it easier and the cost factor is a lot lower vs. a larger trailered hull. Just don't expect your 12 footer to be more than a 12 footer.

I have a 12/36 flat bottom jon and it is a lot more stable that my brother-laws V bottom as far as fishing and moving around in it. His is a noticeable smoother and my flat bottom is a pretty rough ride at times. I can stand up and fish with my dog moving around in the boat and he is 80lb. I want to trade up to a 14/48 jon if I come across a deal.

Latest posts