Steering wheel/motor question.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenCoJared

Reaction score
My cousin is giving me a 10 foot flat bottom boat and I'd like to put a steering wheel on it instead of just steering with the motor handle. How do I know if a motor can be hooked up to a steering wheel? Bet you can't tell I'm new to this stuff, huh?

Yes - you will need to install either a hydraulic steering or cable system - you are looking around $500.00 for the components

I would not bother in a 10 foot boat

Couldn't the parts be taken out of the 10 footer and put in a longer one later? Edited to add: Can a hydraulic steering system be added to ANY motor?

I've never done it...so take this with a grain of salt.

Way back when ( I was young)...many boats had remote (drum equipped steering wheel) steering that used wire or rope cables. I'd check the Boston Whaler site for a reference. A number of the Whalers were rigged that way. It is called Continous Wave. Just do a Google and ask about cable steering.

Here is another reference LINK

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=281025

R

BenCoJared said:
Couldn't the parts be taken out of the 10 footer and put in a longer one later? Edited to add: Can a hydraulic steering system be added to ANY motor?

Yes you probably could remove the steering system and add it to a larger boat. You should be able to add a steering system to most motors (very small under 10 hp maybe not)

I'm Instaling steering and controles in a 12 ft V, It is not as easy as one would think!
I am using a Teliflex no feed back steering systim so far i have no problems other than the cable is very stiff.

I found all my parts on Ebay some cheap others not!

Here is my thinking on a 10 ft Jon I would use a pully and cable system! I dont think you could get a Teliflex cable system short enough! Also with steering you will want throttle and shift controles of some type . I found an old Jonson control box with cables on ebay for 45$ I will make it work. all I can say is study up and start buying parts it not going to be cheap!

John H