Tips on meeting Canoer's and Kayakers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rude I'm from st louis originally and take huge offense to that, I'm just joking. I know exactly what you mean I've floated the current, niangua, meremac, gasconade, eleven point, and been on jet boats in most of them as well. When I floated I usually used my own kayaks and purposely pick areas to float that canoe rental float companies didn't use so I could avoid the crowds fish and have few beers in piece. I always tried to watch out for jets and if one had to blast up a riffle usually just got to the side for them. But when your in the areas where the canoe rental places run you get a lot of drunken idiots who don't watch out. Friend of mine whose dad had a jet jon we would fish with a lot we always just tried to avoid the busier stretches of river, and if we did run into paddlers we tried to be as courteous as we could if it was in a bigger pool where we could putt by we did. When would come up on riffles and shoals we would run through when no one else was going down. It's not always possible as on busy summer days on areas where all the float companies run it can be a never ending train of idiot rafters/canoers. We never had any issues in the areas we went to with them blocking ramps for extended periods, but I don't have patience for that. Nothing irritates me more then getting to a boat ramp I pull aside to throw my crap in the boat, get it unstrapped, and ready to go to have someone else go in front of me then make me wait when I'm ready cause they are getting ready on the ramp. Same with pulling out can't stand people blocking the ramp when they shouldn't be.

In indiana you don't have to register or title a yak or canoe unless it's powered by a motor electric or gas. Your still suppose to buy the dnr launch sticker for them regardless if it's powered or not. It's less money for the non motorized launch stickers for the yaks than the power boat, but paddlers are suppose to pay here if they're using any dnr water access which most ramps and access points around here are.

Same thing in PA. Launch permit required for use of state property by yaks and canoes. But only state property. One ramp I frequent has a lot of bank fishermen in the summer @ night for catfish. Nothing worse than attempting to trailer your boat, and getting some idiot's fishing line wrapped around your prop shaft, sucked in the jet pump. Especially when their fishing right next to the sign that says "Do not block, or fish from this ramp"

riverrat717 said:
Same thing in PA. Launch permit required for use of state property by yaks and canoes. But only state property. One ramp I frequent has a lot of bank fishermen in the summer @ night for catfish. Nothing worse than attempting to trailer your boat, and getting some idiot's fishing line wrapped around your prop shaft, sucked in the jet pump. Especially when their fishing right next to the sign that says "Do not block, or fish from this ramp"

I deal with that all the time. Except they will be ON the ramp. Yes...parked on it with fishing poles on both sides of it. Getting to the ramp after a 12 mile ride down the river at 3 am and then having to anchor at the ramp and wait for idiots to move their vehicle off the ramp and move their fishing poles and basically a camp. I even had to call the police on one group last year because they would not move their fishing poles from the down stream side of the ramp.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
riverrat717 said:

I deal with that all the time. Except they will be ON the ramp. Yes...parked on it with fishing poles on both sides of it. Getting to the ramp after a 12 mile ride down the river at 3 am and then having to anchor at the ramp and wait for idiots to move their vehicle off the ramp and move their fishing poles and basically a camp. I even had to call the police on one group last year because they would not move their fishing poles from the down stream side of the ramp.

LOL Camp fire and all I'd imagine!! Same thing here!

It really ticks me off because I know they can hear that jet drive from 2 miles away....but yet when I get to the ramp they are kicked back relaxing when they should have already cleared out of the way. Then they act like you're the problem. The group last year thought they were going to tell me were to beach my boat. Told me I had plenty of room.....on the UPSTREAM side of the ramp. I told them they are idiots because boats float down stream the last time I checked and that when they start making payments on my boat they can decide where it gets landed. I ended up floating into a fishing line of their's from a pole that they didn't get up. The line caught me on the neck and as the boat was drifting down stream all I could think about was a hook catching me in the neck while I fought to get the line off of me...almost like walking into a spider web in the dark. I went from 0 to 100 quick and that's when I called the police..things were about to go south.

This thread is :LOL2: :LOL2:, I love all these stories.

I especially like when some Hillbillies are holding target practice at the ramp, really sets a nice mood for the day.

Edited to say that the yuppie yak owners probably do not venture far enough out to the country to see this, although it would be good for them.

To the guy that called my statement about getting close but don't hit em comment, it was a joke but sometimes I would like to flat out sink em. They are vulgar, cussing all the time. Funny how they get to where they getting out of river and they have no trash, yet they started with two cases of beer. They fill em with water and let them sink. They are idiots and should not be allowed on the water. You noticed I also stated I do not go on the parts of the river where they are. I also kayak and love it. I choose to go where I won't see powered boats. So to you sir, until you have seen the stupidly, been cussed at, intentionally run aground, rocks thrown at you with your family in boat, why don't you keep your quoting others as dumb, TO YOURSELF!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually end up grabbing the trash floating down the river from tubers. Yesterday I picked up some broken beer bottle glass at the boat ramp. That pisses me off, we have a private ramp but people think they can camp out on it for the day and toss stuff around.

I've been told by a few people that have floated the upper end of the river I run on that the places only canoes float have 10X the trash and beer cans as the lower end of the river were boaters and canoers use does.
Another thing that gets me is how you'll have a few boats hanging out on a gravel bar and floaters are liable to pull up right on top of you and setup camp, which I'm fine with if they'll ask. Courtesy goes both ways so if they ask most people tell them go ahead and help their selves because usually by that time the boaters are ready to leave out any way. It's just annoying if they pull up like they own the place because for all they know the people already there was about to setup and camp out for the night.

overboard said:
We fish an area for Shad where plenty of kayaks, canoes, and rafts come floating down the river. When some of them get too close to the anchored boat, I mean really close, I just start hollering: Watch out , there's some really sharp hooks back there, seems to work every time and they make a quick effort to get further away from the boat! Sometimes they sneak up on us and cause us to break anchor because they ran into the anchor line. At least you can usually hear a bunch of them coming from a distance so we can be watching them! :roll:
When we used a 16' Duranautic, we always slowed down when approaching canoes or kayaks. Going upriver I think it made a bigger wake by slowing down than under power, but it kept them happy!

Head downstream in the summer to fight through the tubers! We wade below New Hope and the tube rentals are a mess! Nothing a bug rubber snake cannot fix :LOL2:

Captain Ahab said:
Head downstream in the summer to fight through the tubers! We wade below New Hope and the tube rentals are a mess! Nothing a bug rubber snake cannot fix :LOL2:

Do you go below the wingdam at New Hope/Lambertville? I keep my boat at a dock in Titusville and usually don't run that far up. On the weekends in the summer, the groups of tubers can really take up a lot of the river.

Latest posts