Towing with Smaller SUV

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually OK with one vehicle per driver at our house. It will be different not having the utility of the truck, but my days of heavy lifting are kind of over. And besides, I know where I can borrow one if needed! Haha.

I'm actually OK with one vehicle per driver at our house. It will be different not having the utility of the truck, but my days of heavy lifting are kind of over. And besides, I know where I can borrow one if needed! Haha.
I gave up my pickup about 25 years back. Had a wood stove at that time and hauled lots of firewood. Loading then unloading when I got home so I could go to work the next day. Then I got smart and bought a trailer. Then I could go load it up and come home and just unhitch it and leave it set !! Ahhh. Much less work, to this day, I keep a trailer behind the garage for any hauling I need to do, but only have to unload it when I feel like it !!! Cheaper ins and license plates as well....

I have no space for a trailer and the HOA wouldn't like it either. I always have an extra car or truck (usually a truck) on hand for jobs and extra vehicle when needed for guests and kids and other emergencies. Insurance is only a couple hundred a year as a second vehicle and if it is older than 25 years can be registered as an antique for $50 for 5 years. They generally see very little use so maintenance is low as well. Just replaced the 1996 Ford F150 inline 6 with a 2011 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew, one owner, as it was a screaming deal and in very nice condition. Much easier to take the grandkids fishing now. My Beetle just got hailed on and the insurance company totaled it and I bought it back and fixed the glass. They paid $18k for it. Bought the truck for $5k.

I had a buddy in HS that had a car with that engine. Couldn't kill it if you tried. Nothing special about it other than it always ran.

I used the Honda Pilot to take the boat out yesterday. For whatever reason I found it easier to back the trailer compared to the RAM. The thing I noticed most is the noise from the receiver hitch slop. Never heard that in the RAM. I suppose because it is right there behind the passenger compartment, it is very noticeable in the Honda Pilot.