What's the most popular size of Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mud-skipper

Reaction score
I'm thinking of stocking some Jon boats and I'd like to get some idea of what folks would prefer. I have a source of 10', 11', 12', 13', and 14'.

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

Most of the jons I see around here (notheast al) are 14-36. I prefer a 14-48 though

I think for a dealer price point is an extremely valid consideration. What the competitor stocks is another. Here we have a Dick's and a Sportsman's Warehouse. They stock 12' tins and have mass buying power. Stocking 14 and above would set you apart from them.

Any experienced boater probably is not going to be looking for anything under 14' for general use. They might be looking for a smaller rig as a second boat. I personally would not buy less than the 14/48 I currently own unless I was going for a light solo rig.

Colbyt said:
I think for a dealer price point is an extremely valid consideration. What the competitor stocks is another. Here we have a Dick's and a Sportsman's Warehouse. They stock 12' tins and have mass buying power. Stocking 14 and above would set you apart from them.
Any experienced boater probably is not going to be looking for anything under 14' for general use. They might be looking for a smaller rig as a second boat. I personally would not buy less than the 14/48 I currently own unless I was going for a light solo rig.
+2
I see you are in the Finger Lakes area, awesome!
If possible, check the boat ramps on the weekend to see what's being used.
If the boats are on the lake, look in the trailer lot and guess the length.
Check the boat storage areas during the week when they are not being used.
Another Public resource is your county records....How many boats are registered in your county and near by counties?
In general, Apartment and Condo renters around here (Florida)prefer the smaller Paddleboards, Canoes and Kayaks.
Home owners have space to store a boat so their boats tend to be larger.
Hope this helps, Jerry :)

Over the years, I've seen most folks buy a 12' as their first, then in a few years (or the very next year), buy a 14' if they can. So...entry level buyers try to "get by" and then find getting by is a pain and go with what they should have bought in the first place.

Best wishes.

Latest posts