Wiring issues with my Tracker 16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Wortham

Reaction score
I bought this boat from a friend after it had been sitting for 17 years in a garage. Didn't take much to get 25 hp motor to fun but the electrical system is a disaster. broken rotted wires. rusty connectors. My question is can I find a wiring diagram for this thing that will allow me to get it all working.

What year is the boat? If it sat for 17yrs it's at least that old and you'll be hard pressed to find diagrams. If you're finding broken/rotted wiring and rusty connectors, odds are the hardware your wiring is running to (breakers, fuse boxes, switch panels, lights, pumps, etc) are in rough condition as well and you should plan on rewiring the boat. You can find generic wiring diagrams for sample boats in Google Images to base your rewire off of.

Can't speak for the accuracy of the attached list, but it may help.

Also, have you contacted Tracker and asked for a diagram?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241018_091405_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20241018_091405_Firefox.jpg
    123.6 KB
I am in the process of rewiring a boat. Usually, the wires themselves are okay, but the connectors are often corroded.

Sometimes, you can buy a box of male and female marine shrink spade fittings, a fuse panel, and new switches. Start by replacing all of the switches. Then, one by one, replace the connectors. Finally, replace the fuse panel, moving the wires over one by one. 90% of the time, 90% of everything will work, then you just need to chase down a few things.

The boat I'm working in now has one of the worst electrical systems I've seen. It has had many people add bad wire. Much of it is speaker wire that is corroded inside the sheathing. I started by sorting the wires, then cut them out and ran new wire.

It's tedious work, but not particularly hard.