Zen and the Art of boat conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was sandblasting the trailer and the bags of sand really got to be expensive so I switched to using a brush on the angle grinder. I'm still not done with the trailer, but I am probably about 2/3 done. I will post more pics as they come.

Attachments

• sandblast1.jpg
    sandblast1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 598
  • sandblast2.jpg
    sandblast2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 598
Since the point of this project was to learn to do something myself, I decided that when I couldn't find my sawhorses (the fold up metal jobers that you can buy for cheap) that I would make a set. Not only did I decide to make them, but I decided that I would use only lumber from my deck railings that I recently removed. So total cost of project was zero! The total benefit is that I will save taking as many pain pills for my back!

Attachments

• primer front of trailer.jpg
    primer front of trailer.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 597
  • sawhorse.jpg
    sawhorse.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 597
Progress report: Trailer has been torn down as much as I can. I used an angle grinder to remove rust and old paint. Trailer is primed as much as possible. I now have a few areas that I need to get some more sand for my sandblaster to finish it before I get down to painting. I'm gonna go black on the trailer and purchased Rustoleum Enamel spray to Paint it with. I think that I may even get some pinstriping done on the trailer as I work at a car dealership and the guy that does it owes me a favor.

Nick Jones said:
ominousone said:
A couple of questions. Is there any reason not to sandblast the trailer and the boat to remove the paint? I was talking at work about using paint remover and a few people suggested that I just sand blast it. If this works does anyone know if sand or walnut shells works better?

I remember that it is imperative to seal wood decking before putting it in a mod, but what is used? I have poly, can I use that? Also, along with this, if I decide to use 2x2's instead of aluminum, do I seal that as well? I know I'm gonna sound like a complete newb here, but what type of screws do I use? I want to do this right and I'm willing to bow down to the masters of this forum for jedi knight advice...

Thank you one and all!

Click on the link below my name and check out my first mod. It has a few pic's of what I used and how I sealed the decking and 2x2's.

As far as your steel flexing question on my post: you can do the entire boat if you want. The reason most people just do the bottom is because Steel flex is really glossy and doesn’t look as good as paint. However, if you put thinner coats on the sides it will look great. Nussy put his on really thick and it started to sag. That's why most don’t put it on the sides. hope that makes sense.

STEELFLEX- I don't think mine sagged because of how thick I put it on I think it was because it was too cold when I applied it. My advice would be apply it when both the product and the environment can sit at 75degrees or more for 4-5 hours. I rushed it and applied it in too cold of environment which made it harden slower. As far as application all you have to do is rought up the surface and apply it. No need to strip it completely the stuf sticks well. See my build there lots about Steel flex. Save the money and go with the cheaper version without the Teflon. You can apply multiple coat if necessary. Not the case with the 2000 version I used. Good Luck!!!

I am looking for someone to recommed the type of bolts to use on my trailer. I have a few stainless bolts, but not enough to do the entire trailer. I have a ton of galvanized bolts that I think would withstand the weather and water. Also I have the equivalant of a hardware store worth of regular bolts of all shapes and sizes. I really don't want to buy more stainless if I can get away with using any of the other types.

Some updated pics. I have one more coat to put on trailer and on wheels, but other than that the trailer is painted and ready to be put back together. I am so excited to put the trailer to rest so that I can get to the real fun of the boat! Steel flex has been ordered, along with some of the aluminum brazing rods. I actually can't wait to try out the brazing rods. I am no welder, and the thought of welding aluminum of all things makes me think that I am saving a ton of dough that I could have never have done without the power of the internet and specifically this site. Thank you tinboats.net community.

Attachments

• trailer tounge.jpg
    trailer tounge.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 418
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 418
  • fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 418
  • painted wheel.jpg
    painted wheel.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 418
What brazing rods did you go with. Looking forward to the post. I'm in the same boat as you. No welding experience but looking to fill a few holes in my project.

I went with the hts 2000. I got them on ebay for a pretty good price. I think that I bought 10 rods, still waiting for them to arrive.

I have tried both and I like the harbor freight ones myself. I struggled with the HTS 2000 rods because they are much thinner and I was melting the rod before it would flow into the metal. With the Harbor Freight rods I was able to get the metal hot enough to melt the rod and grab onto the liquid. The HTS 2000 was melting too early.

I'm no pro and was using acetylene so hopefully you will have better luck.

One thing though, this is not welding.. I.E. TIG. I don't know how much I would trust a load bearing repair to these rods.

Wish I had heard that Harbor Freight carried one of the types of the aluminum rods because I paid about the same money and I'm still waiting for the shipping from the 1st of december.

ominousone,
Looks great! I used an angle grinder to get mine sanded down too. As far as nuts & bolts, I used grade 8 hardware everywhere I could. (check my signature for a link) I went to a nut & bolt place and just handed them my list and they did the rest. I ended up replacing nearly every nut and bolt on that thing; But, it is 53 years old!!!

Mike

The holiday's were both time consuming, but I got the one piece of equipment that I needed most. I got a salamander heater! Between freezing in our zero degree temps and needing it to apply the steelflex, this is $$$$$$! I recently carpeted my bunks and have the trailer just about done so that I can get that out of the garage and start on the boat! I am sooo sick of the trailer, I want to get onto the fun part. The Boat!

Happy New Year to everyone.

Nice project.

Let me know if you've tackled the HTS-2000, as I have some already but have not used it yet. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Keep us updated :wink:

After one of the kids breaking his femur, brutal upstate ny cold, and finals in college, I am finally back at it. I finished the trailer, got it out of the garage and the boat in. Here is how she sits now, stripped as good as I'm gonna get her. I have the aluminum primer ready, and my brazing rods should be here tomorrow so that I can fill a few small holes that I found in the hull. I really hope that the aluminum brazing rods are as easy to use as the video's I saw on the internet make it seem.

Attachments

• stripped.jpg
    stripped.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 484

Latest posts