Zen and the Art of boat conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are, remember, heat the metal not the rod! It is best to practice, but if not just go slow at first; don't rush it.

Broken Femur huh? Yea, that sucks...

I swear that there is some kind of conspiracy with me getting Aluminum brazing rods from ebay. Last time I had to wait almost 2 month's to get my money back from some guy who went out of business and closed his paypal account. Now I'm at least 2 days longer than priority should take. Hopefully tomorrow.

Got the aluminum welding rods finally. Also found a mis-labled 500 cartridge pump for livewell and picked up 2 of them @9.86 each from wally world and stopped at BPS spring classic sale and picked up the stuff in the photo. $20 for each seat, 10 for leaning seat, adj post for 27, and deck bases on sale but I forget how much. To make it better I used a 25 gift card I got doing the bassmaster marshal program last year, and 10 bucks in rewards points.

Attachments

• bps stuff.jpg
    bps stuff.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 532
I got that exact same pro seat, pedestal and base for my mind. Great minds think alike! Plus that is the highest quality 10 dollar seat I've ever seen

I really like how die guy used the simpson strong ties, and I think that my lowes has them so that is one that is next on my shopping list. What type of screws are needed? Galvanized or stainless? I would think that galvanized would be stronger, but stainless would last longer. The strong ties are galvanized, so would galvanized work for all the hardware in a mod? Before seeing his mod I was just going to get long screws and screw through the 2x2's, this way seems much stronger. I really want to do this right the first time.

Another question for the motor minded folks out there. What do you all think about the 5hp briggs and stratton's? A 4 stroke priced very well. I'm looking at a new one for like 200 more than I would spend on a used motor. Seems like a very thrifty way to go.

Got it primed with Rustoleum aluminum self etching primer. Ready for the Steelflex!

Attachments

• primed boat.jpg
    primed boat.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 384
With an 80 degree day in upstate ny, I decided to finally put the steelflex on. Came out pretty good. It isn't that hard to work with until it starts to set up on you, once that happens its awful to work with.

Attachments

• steelflexed.jpg
    steelflexed.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 376
I wanted to post a little tip that a friend showed me for measuring angles and following framing for making storage areas. The tip is use plastic like you would to cover Windows in the winter. (Clear plastic). Then mark on it with sharpie to show where studs are and trim excess with a razor knife. I will post pics later, can't do it from my phone.

Latest posts