Zubes' 14 ft Alumacraft shallow V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I have a tilter too, and haven't used it yet...

debating what I should do with mine... I had previously drilled a hole thru one side of it and may just stick a bolt in like you did

decisions, decisions... :?

Well, this summer has been plenty full for myself. My wife and I are expecting out first child (due 9/17) so we've been busy with preparation, showers, and relaxing while we can. I've also been salmon fishing out on the big pond (Lake Michigan) almost every weekend. I have found tournament fishing to be quite addictive and my buddy, his brother, and I have been having a great year... prize total is approximately $7,000 for the year and we tied for 1st place in the 336 Series.

Anyway... I finally found some time these past weekends to finish up this stage of my little boat project. Here's some pics of how I'm going to leave her for the year.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
I think the next phase of the build (next year) will be a rear casting deck, side storage, and a lower profile, angled trolling motor mount off the bow. The one I made last year works very well, but I think I can do better. After seeing how much space I had in the boat I opted to simply mount one seat in the center of the main floor rather than stagger them front/back. It didn't look like there would be enough room for that to be practical. I still have the third pedestal base and seat, but I think that might just get mounted on the rear casting deck when that is completed. I like the idea of the split rear bench, but I might just keep it simple. We'll have to see what I think next year.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to leave a comment. Thanks for looking!

I'm curious about the thickness of the plywood used. Did you use treated, marine? or?? I have a 15 foot identical to yours and am concerned about floor weight-p-

I'm pretty sure I used 5/8" (I think it was actually listed as 19/32"). I bought it a few months ago so I don't really remember. I'd measure it for you, but my boat (and scrap wood) is stored at my parent's house for the time being. The required thickness all comes down to how much bracing you build underneath it.

It was just standard plywood from HomeDepot. I believe marine grade is very pricey and you DO NOT want to use treated. The chemicals used do not get along with our aluminum hulls. If you want it to last forever, go ahead and coat it with water sealer (Thompson's, etc).

As long as you keep it reasonable, the weight shouldn't be a problem, but it's good to keep it in the back of your mind during your build. Good luck.

Hey Zoobes, the end product looks great! I was wondering how high your front butt-pedestal is? I'm shopping for one now and was thinking I need to get one that's 3ft high to lean back on. They all seem so short...
Might I ask how much the pedestal set cost?

The pedestal is a Swivl-Eze 2 3/8" Wedge 24"-30" adjustable and I got it from Gander Mountain. It wasn't cheap ($99), but I had some gift cards. The butt-seat was $20 from Gander as well.

I haven't fished with it yet, but it seems to be tall enough to lean against while standing, but adjusts to be low enough to "sit" on when in rough water. I'm 5'-10" for what it's worth.

great build. i am interested in how stable to boat is when you fishing from the front casting deck leaning on that front pedestal seat. I am looking to do a similar decking project with a 14' v-hull boat and i am concerned how stable or tippy that front casting deck makes the boat.

coloradobassin - The boat is still stable with the front casting deck mounted to the top of the bench seats. It might be a little tippier, but the large deck allows you to have a wider stance and I think the difference is negligible. I haven't fished from the boat using the pedestal seat yet, but I can't imagine it would make things any worse.

Jay415 - Thanks! Time will tell if storing the seat is worth the hassle of removing it, but I figured leaving myself the option to put it out of the way would be nice.

flatboat - The "scissor" style bracket from the Edge can be found on ebay or several trolling motor parts websites, but they are pricey. The current bracket on my boat was homemade from a piece of plywood and some 2x4 scraps. I think I'm going to make a new bracket which will clamp over the rail so it can operate a few more inches under the surface of the water and also allow the motor to be stored at an angle over the bow instead of straight back.

I read on another post that you used a piece of decking and marine sealant to attach a tranducer. Could you attach a pic so I can get a visual of how you installed it? Thanks.

I actually do not have a picture if it at the moment and the boat is put away for the season under a few inches of snow in my parent's yard. We're supposed to have some warmer weather this weekend, so if I get the chance I'll stop by and take a quick picture of it for you.

Great job on the modifications. It is pretty much exactly what I would like to do on my 1984 starcraft. My only concern is compromising the structural integrity of the boat by removing the center bench. I know you mentioned some loss of rigidity after removing your center bench. Have you noticed any major changes in the boat while on the water. I often take my 6 and 4 year old daughters with me on the boat so safety is primary for me.

Honestly, I did not notice a single difference on the water. I could barely notice the loss of rigidity while prying on it and shaking it on the trailer in my driveway. I really had to pry on it, and I'm pretty sure it would have bowed with the center bench installed anyway. I'm still planning to build some side storage boxes and utilize the mounting locations of the center bench. That way I can tie into the front and rear benches and give it a little more strength, but I'm sure it would be fine as is.

Builidng side storage boxes to tie into the front and rear benches for rigidity is a great idea and dismisses any of my former concerns. Thanks buddy!

Dang! I just started my build on my 14' Alumnacraft and bought treated 2x2's. How bad is this for the metal?

Exceedingly bad.

Whenever you are going to do something to your boat...stop....think...read...ask...then think again. ;)

This boat looks very similar to my Sean Nymph 14...

I am probably going to build a deck for the front. but leave the center bench (for now)

Though after reading your thread I am thinking more about removing it and making it flat in the middle like yours..However, I have 5 kids and I am sure they will all want to go at some point...so for now (untill I decide otherwise) I guess the bench stays.

Great job.