Zubes' 14 ft Alumacraft shallow V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay traded the treated 2x2's in and got regular lumber. Does anyone know the names of the metal joints that were used on Zubes mod?, for the end of his 2x2's?

HAVE YOU HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH FLEXING WHERE YOU REMOVED YOUR BENCH? DO YOU PLAN TO PUT SOMETING IN IT TO STIFFEN LIKE WHEN THE BENCH WAS THERE?

Pauly399- I believe the metal brackets are called strongties. I found mine at Home Depot or Lowes.

Shawnfish- Read the previous 6-7 posts, I just answered this for on.the.other.line. I do not have any major issues with flexing. I might build side storage boxes that tie the front and rear decks together and then attach them where the middle bench used to be mounted to the side walls of the boat. If I go through with that, I'll be sure to post pictures... it seems to be a popular question. I suggest carefully removing your bench and see how much of an effect it has on your boat. If it's too bad, you can always reinstall it.

Strongties! Thank you, how did you cut your plywood....with a saw prolly :) How did you measure?

Zubes,

I have nearly the same boat and am using your front deck build as a template for mine. What thickness was the angle aluminum that you used? I’ve been wondering if I could get away with using 1/16” as it’s nearly half the price as the 1/8”.

pauly399 - I cut the curves with a jigsaw and the straight cuts were made with a circular saw. For measuring the front deck, I made a template out of cardboard. This took a lot of time, but I wanted to make it right. Even after I transferred the template to the wood and cut it out, I still need to make adjustments. I used a belt sander and sanded down the areas that were rubbing until I was happy with how it fit. The belt sander allowed me to angle the edge of the deckto match the angle of the hull.

Drewgill - I believe I used 1/16" as well. I had planned on using 1/8", but after thinking it through I decided the 1/16" would be just fine because the deck is also supported by the seats. I had some extra 1/16" laying around so returned the 1/8" thick piece and saved some $.

No changes since these pics. I'm actually sitting here thinking about my next mods... trolling motor bracket, rear casting deck, and side storage.

Posting your mod in a new thread should be as easy as going into the "Jon and V boat Conversions and Modifications" forum and clicking the [ + New Topic ] button.

Zubes said:
No changes since these pics. I'm actually sitting here thinking about my next mods... trolling motor bracket, rear casting deck, and side storage.

Posting your mod in a new thread should be as easy as going into the "Jon and V boat Conversions and Modifications" forum and clicking the [ + New Topic ] button.
Thanks! Also if you wouldnt mind check out my build! I will get better quality pics soon.... Also not everything that has been done is posted......

Zubes. Looks awesome =D> I have the same boat and I like how you did the bow casting deck. May have to change mine up when it comes do. Nice clean look you did a fine job. I have had mine 14 Alumacraft out three times this Feb. Which never happens. Decided to drop some coin on a new 15hp Merc. and now the little boat is screaming fast, topped 24 mph at w.o.t. :shock: I was also impressed how the 16 inch high sides handle the choppy water I was in. 2 footer waves couldn't blast over the tops but handle well.

Jim

I've got a '57 Alumacraft FD I'd like to do the same to, any updates on how this has held up without the added structure of the benches?

This is EXACTLY what I need. I have this exact same boat and was looking for ideas..

I plan on removing the middle seat from mine also.

Thank you for the inspiration.

IMG_2948.JPG

Hey if any of you guys still have the seats you're removing I'd be interested in them for a project I've got planned. They would have to be unmolested of course.

Latest posts