16' Monark Mod V Jon - The end of the Road - FOR SALE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't all answer at once!

Haha, not a problem. Another good score today at the dog groomer of all places. Her husband has his own construction company, and big machinery, etc. So after I dropped the dog off, I ran back into speak to her, and asked if she could ask him about any diamond plated aluminum, a 12"x31" to be exact. As she was jotting it down, he happened by so I grabbed him. He said he might have something since he put diamond plating on his rig to protect against some rubbing when they do concrete removal. I said it doesn't have to be diamond plated, but that would be ideal. He opens up his storage unit, and right in the corner is a piece of diamond plated aluminum. What's the size? 12"x36"! It has a couple dings and whatnot, but once I clean it up and bend it to form, trim a bit off, I'll wrap that puppy around some wood, bolt it through the transom and have myself a spot for my long shaft Yammy. Save me some money, so it was a good day =D>

Welp, rookie mistake (and a $40 one, too). I grabbed the wrong AC ply today at Home Depot, and had it cut. So no bringing it back. The wood was for the transom, and I bought 3/4 rather than 5/8ths (which I need to sandwich together to make the transom).

I guess it's back to HD tomorrow for some 5/8ths, and try and salvage whatever I can for the decking. Frustrating, but whatever. Powerwashing the inside of the boat in about a min or so. So no pics, just a frustrating update!

Work and rain = me working on it this weekend. ALso found a great deal on Craigslist that might tempt me to get another boat, lol :shock: 15' grizzly, 30 hp rude, trolling motor, trailer, electrical, all for 1,000. Guy might take 800.

ober51 said:
Work and rain = me working on it this weekend. ALso found a great deal on Craigslist that might tempt me to get another boat, lol :shock: 15' grizzly, 30 hp rude, trolling motor, trailer, electrical, all for 1,000. Guy might take 800.

Buy it, and sell it to me for more. I want one of those soooo bad!

Sorry to be blunt, but you are an idiot if you can come close to affording that and you let it pass you by.

dyeguy1212 said:
ober51 said:

Buy it, and sell it to me for more. I want one of those soooo bad!

Sorry to be blunt, but you are an idiot if you can come close to affording that and you let it pass you by.

Haha, when you don't have money, and you don't have your own house, and you don't have room, you generally don't buy the boat. However, I am STRONGLY considering just buy it and taking the motor and selling the boat and trailer for what I pay.

I was finally able to get some work done on the inside. I sanded it down and primed. Tomorrow some Interlux. I realized that all this work - or most - was going to be covered by the decks and storage, so I saved myself seom work and only did the upper gunwales. It looks weird now, but will be fine once everything is done. Pictures will be taken tomorrow.

Doesn't look pretty, but since it will all be covered anyway, it doesn't matter. Forgot to take pics, and I am lazy right now.

Up next is marine inspection in NJ for new HIN number and a title, let's hope it passes [-o<

Ok, so I finished off the transom. Looks solid, feels solid, let's hope it performs solidly. Made sure to put some 3M 5200 in each hole, and it should be good for years. Going to start thinking about my transom build-up, might call around to see if a machine shop can bend the diamond plate (since I haven't gotten the chance to ask the shop teacher at school).

dyeguy1212 said:
cut the laziness! pics or it didnt happen! 8)

Haha, I freaking covered and tarped it today without snapping pics. Tomorrow I am going to bring it for marine inspection, so I guess I'll have them then.

Well, the HIN investigation came back on my boat and it's all clear. Took 10 days to do with it being from out of state, yada yada yada. But, I will be off to the DMV to get it registered and also have my driver's license include the term, "boat." When I went to get my boat from the NJ State Police Marina today, it had about 100 gallons of water in it, haha. Meaning that if it was holding water, none should get in...right? Lol. But they pulled out what the guy called an 8000 GPH dual bilge pump, hooked it up the NJ Trooper Excursion battery terminals and it took about 2 minutes to pump out, awesome stuff.

June in Jersey has been absolutely brutal, with only 3 days without rain! I haven't done anything, aside from the transom rebuild, so when there is a break in this terrible weather I promise pictures.

Also might go take a look at another boat tomorrow, haha. It is a great deal, with a 14' Deep V Sylvan, solid trailer, and 1980's 25 HP Johnson is very good condition. It's a bit of a drive, but for about a grand I think it's worth it. I might just then flip the boat and trailer without the motor and then have a great running, bigger motor for bigger water, currents, etc. We'll see. Any thoughts on that?

Well I just found out last night that the 1448 Jon I am working on is a Monark. It has that same oddly reinforced transom that yours does - what did you end up doing about it? I want to replace the transom wood but cant see any way to get the old wood out in one piece and definitely no way to get another single piece in there. I tried to measure the thickness, but it felt like the wood has swelled - any idea what thickness the wood is supposed to be. It almost felt like two pieces sandwiched together in there.

daniel_loz said:
Well I just found out last night that the 1448 Jon I am working on is a Monark. It has that same oddly reinforced transom that yours does - what did you end up doing about it? I want to replace the transom wood but cant see any way to get the old wood out in one piece and definitely no way to get another single piece in there. I tried to measure the thickness, but it felt like the wood has swelled - any idea what thickness the wood is supposed to be. It almost felt like two pieces sandwiched together in there.

I had to do three pieces actually. Unless I wanted to take out the transom bracket, which I didnt want to do. It looks nice, and the thickness of mine was 1.25", so I used 2 pieces of 5/8ths with came to 10/8 = 1.25. It was a snug fit, but that's good, and I used a block of wood and then hit it with a sledge lightly and it went in. I put the middle piece in first, got that semi in, then put on of the corners in, then knocked the middle into place, and that basically put the one side into place. Then when that was in place, I had to put the third piece in, but I had to cut a bit off, I think an inch actually, to get it to fit in. It was a good fit in the end. I put some waterproof glue in between the three pieces. I then drilled my holes, used all SS hardware, and sealed the holes with 3M 5200. Ill go take pics hold on.

Also remember that I will be building up the transom, so above that bracket there will be some additional bolts, washers, nuts. I think it came out well, pretty sweet so far.

Now for more bad news, still can't register the boat in NJ!! I now need the previous owner's registration...he lives in Connecticut, and never registered the boat. I asked the NJ DMV, they said CT will issue some paperwork detailing that. I called CT, and they said for $20 I can request a registration history on the boat (which he ran for me to tell me what it will come back as, and said it will be blank, since it was a CT state fishing boat) and that will be fine for NJ. I am skeptical, and beginning to think this boat is just not meant to be. I am going to get that boat tomorrow, so I can have a boat for the summer. Crazy? Yes, but I will sell one of these boats when I have to. Really hoping this works itself out - we'll see. So I am not putting another cent into it until I find out if it's going to be alright, you can probably all understand.

Attachments

• P6180001.JPG
    P6180001.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,675
  • P6180002.JPG
    P6180002.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,675
  • P6180003.JPG
    P6180003.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,675
Well I am looking into having some welding done on mine - new caps put around the top lip near the front of the boat...mine was a catfish farm boat and they bashed that rounded top lip almost flat around the front. I may see if he can remove that transom support for me and then weld it back it after I replace the transom. My transom was reinforced from the top with two more welded supports that run from the top of the transom to the rear bench seat because they ran a 50hp or larger motor on the back...

I will try and get a picture of the supports, between the factory one on the floor and the two on top - its going to be impossible for me to replace the transom.

daniel_loz said:
Well I am looking into having some welding done on mine - new caps put around the top lip near the front of the boat...mine was a catfish farm boat and they bashed that rounded top lip almost flat around the front. I may see if he can remove that transom support for me and then weld it back it after I replace the transom. My transom was reinforced from the top with two more welded supports that run from the top of the transom to the rear bench seat because they ran a 50hp or larger motor on the back...

I will try and get a picture of the supports, between the factory one on the floor and the two on top - its going to be impossible for me to replace the transom.

Yeah, if I had a feeling my boat would be good to go with this registration thing, I would invest more into it. But at this point I'm on hold. I think youll figure something out, these boats are really solid and deserve a second life.

that sucks about your registration. i went threw the same deal with mine, but my buddy i got it from is dead so i was sol. i have to make the trip to tennessee where i origionally registerd it to keepr legal

o yah,, that motor is sweeeeet good find. im hoping to find one just like it for that price range in a few months

daniel_loz said:
Ober, how wide is your floor?

I measured early on and it was 46"

Yeah, the registration thing stinks. This is going to take all summer to get it done I bet. But I am going tomorrow for a long drive to get my next boat, spending the night in Rochester NY, and going to the International Jazz Festival. Should be a good time. So this thing is on hold for now. Look for a new thread about my next boat at some point this weekend. I have a class this summer that is killing me, soo much time, so I don't think it would be wise to do much to this new boat, and it likely doesn't need much other than some paint, since it's a bit old.

ANOTHER roadblock in my quest to register the boat. I contacted the PO, he didn't register the boat. I asked for the name of the guy that he bought it from, he doesn't know his last name. I contacted the DEP in Connecticut, they need the year the auction took place or some other information, and I can't get that unless I am able to get in contact with the first owner, the guy who bought the boat at auction and then sold it to the guy who sold it to me - and that's not possible since I dont have his last name.

Various departments in both NJ and CT State Departments have told me the boat was never claimed stolen or anything, so I should be able to register it, but they are wrong. The NJ DMV I went to will not relent on some form of registration. I may have another option - I sent in a request for Vessel History for $20 to CT. They will send me back whatever information they have on the boat, which I am guessing shows it was a CT state Dept of Fisheries vessel that was sold at auction and never registered thereafter. I will then take that to a DIFFERENT DMV in NJ (there are a couple near me) and try from scratch.

If that doesn't work, I might see if I can claim this boat abandoned and get it titled to myself. I doubt that will work given that part of the process to do so requires me to go to the NJ State Marine police to get it inspected....which I have already done and they have already put in paperwork. It seems that I should have claimed it abandoned on my property (or my grandfather's property or something) from the get go. I really don't think this is going to be resolved. I asked the DMV what the next step would be, and they said, "I don't know, but CT will have some paperwork." WRONG. It's almost unreal for me to say, but this boat may be headed to the scrap yard.

Latest posts