16' Monark Mod V Jon - The end of the Road - FOR SALE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you read this post.
Will that site be an option for you.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8583&hilit=registering+boat

Zum said:
Have you read this post.

I forgot about this, but it will likely be my last option, maybe even my next option.

ober51 said:
Zum said:
Have you read this post.

I forgot about this, but it will likely be my last option, maybe even my next option.

Can you register it as "home made?" I had to do that with my Shorelander trailer here. Since it was from out of state and it didn't have a VIN plate or history the treasurer suggested I do it that way.

Possible to do that for a boat in your state?

stinkynathan said:
ober51 said:
Zum said:
Have you read this post.

Can you register it as "home made?" I had to do that with my Shorelander trailer here. Since it was from out of state and it didn't have a VIN plate or history the treasurer suggested I do it that way.

Possible to do that for a boat in your state?

Yes, but I already brought it for inspection to the NJ State police marina for inspection. I cant bring it there again to the same two guys and say, "This is a homemade boat."

I have been looking at the International Title Service and its worth a shot. It's not a stolen boat and I would get the boat titled legitimately. Whether NJ DMV accepts it is another story. Reading about it online says they should but who knows?

ober51 said:
Just sent out my stuff to International Title Service. Let's hope this works.

Just called them up and asked what the turn around time was. I was told 7-10 days. That's pretty quick. I sent my stuff there this morning via Priority mail, 2 day shipping, so I am guess about 2 weeks from now. It looks as if they issue Maine registration and tags as well. Before I sent them the stuff this morning I called up the DMV in Trenton, NJ and asked what I need to title my boat here in NJ if I bought a boat out of state, and have the registration. They said I needed a title. I told them the state that the boat is coming from doesn't issue titles and only gives owners registration. They said hold on then came back and said that's fine, just bring Maine's registration and a notarized bill of sale and you're good to go. So as long as they send me the Maine registration and the notarized bill of sale like the promised, I'll be able to make it legal here in NJ.

Good luck ober I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you [-o< . I gave up on my first boat because Florida is very "precise" on what is needed for vessel registration.

I hope this works for you please let us know how it goes. I have passed on a few boats b/c of lack of paper work.

I got an old 1973 Monark Jon its a great Boat. It goes in the water in Spring and out after Hunting Season never a problem.

Just called up ITS and asked for an update. They said there was a hang up at the DMV because the agency's new system went computerized but that it's all good and I should expect my title next week and not to worry. Stinks but I will continue using my Sylvan in the interim. Hoping to get that jon boat going so I can use my Yammy on the lakes around here!

Well, I decided rather than switching the boats from trailer to trailer, I will just use the trailer I bought with the 14' Sylvan to use with my 16' Monark. I added some extra long bunks and I will keep the other bunks that are on there now to minimize the weight placed on the new long bunks. I used treated wood, outdoor carpet glue, and outdoor carpet. Drilled some holes, bought some new trailer brackets, and used all new SS hardware. I'll snap pictures when I put them on tomorrow. Then I can put the boat back on a trailer, and add the mini jacker I just bought. I also water sealed the wood on the mini jacker (couple coats) so it will be ready to go.

Ok, so I knocked out the bunks - and who knows if this will work. I know they are unsupported at the end, but I can't find a trailer locally that I like that will fit my big jon. So i went out and spent about 50 bucks and made these bunks. I originally just had two more long bunks, but realized they would need more support if they were going to have a shot at supporting the transom. So I made three cross pieces, used the strong ties (the 2x4 fits right into it) and carpeted. It now seems MUCH sturdier, and I think it will do the trick. Here are some pictures of the finished product. I also left the other bunks that came with it to add a bit more support to what i made.

I also bought a ladder stabilizer and some pvc, and will made some goal posts tomorrow or sometime this week. It's coming around and should be done by the time my paperwork arrives.

Attachments

• 0712091430.jpg
    0712091430.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 0712091430a.jpg
    0712091430a.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 0712091430b.jpg
    0712091430b.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 1,182
Those look a little high.Can you lower the bunk brackets?Lower your boat is on the trailer the less you have to back down the ramp.Other than that it looks good n strong.

ben2go said:
Those look a little high.Can you lower the bunk brackets?Lower your boat is on the trailer the less you have to back down the ramp.Other than that it looks good n strong.

Yeah, I have to tweak it yet - but I can't go too much lower because I am pretty sure my boat is wider than the trailer. So It will have to be up a bit, but hopefully not too high.

I'm curious on how it's going to handle.
Looks like alot of boat behind the axles,you have an outboard on this jon as well.It may be fine,bet you will have know trouble lifting it off the ball.
I have a question,kinda related...Do your lights have to be a certain distance from the end of your trailer?I would think so.

Could you space your fenders out a little so the boat will fit between them?Most trailers only need 1.25 inches between the tire side wall and fender.Just tossin ideas out.

Zum said:
I'm curious on how it's going to handle.
Looks like alot of boat behind the axles,you have an outboard on this jon as well.It may be fine,bet you will have know trouble lifting it off the ball.
I have a question,kinda related...Do your lights have to be a certain distance from the end of your trailer?I would think so.

This was one reason for lifting the boat a bit more - to give the lights some clearance. If that doesn't help, I will lower it as much as possible and put the lights on the goal posts I am about to make. This way the plate and lights are more visible and will be seen safely.

I will also see about moving the fenders, I wonder what I can do to space them? Hmm. You have me thinking.

Ok, so one goal post is done. I had to modify the plans a bit and used both U bolts on the one side (unlike the plans on the site called for). I will pick up two U bolts tomorrow from West Marine and some hardware and that will be that. I really like the way it looks, will help a lot when I have to go deeper into the water. I am thinking I will screw the pvc into place, and wire up my lights up the pipe and mount the lights on these for safety reasons.

I bought the ladder stabilizer and a piece of 2" PVC pipe. I cut the stabilizer in half and the PVC into 2 48" posts. It fits snugly on the end (still will screw it in place). I use the caps they provided on the cut end, but will likely use the remaining PVC to connect the two ends of the stabilizer under the trailer for better stability.

ANy questions just ask.

Attachments

• 0712091737.jpg
    0712091737.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 1,161
  • 0712091738.jpg
    0712091738.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 1,161
  • 0712091747.jpg
    0712091747.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 1,161
  • 0712091748.jpg
    0712091748.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 1,161
What Zum may have been concerned about was weight distribution. Have you ever seen a trailer going down the road, shaking from side to side? 90% of the time this is caused by too much weight behind the axle. You should have at least 60% of the loaded trailer's weight in front of the axle to avoid pulling a "wiggle wagon".

Henry Hefner said:
What Zum may have been concerned about was weight distribution. Have you ever seen a trailer going down the road, shaking from side to side? 90% of the time this is caused by too much weight behind the axle. You should have at least 60% of the loaded trailer's weight in front of the axle to avoid pulling a "wiggle wagon".

I totally understand that, but at this point, I will have to use this trailer for the rest of the season. I will see how it rides this week, hopefully not too "wiggly."