1975 Fisher Marine Bateau 1438 Mod -**NEW PICS OCT 16**

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need a little help. In the pic below I have started riveting my support at the bow. This is the first time that I have used a rivet gun so bear with me. I am using 3/16 rivets and they seem to be snapping off way too early. I am guessing that my grip range is too "long"?. They are 1/2 in grip range. I am only going through 1/8 alum angle and the thickness of the aluminum on the boat. (something much less) Would having rivets with a grip range that is too long cause them to snap off early? Or is it my technique?

Attachments

• 24 aug 11.jpg
    24 aug 11.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 1,391
your rivets are being "Cut off" too early as in you still have some Shaft left over that you may need to cut off with some cutters or something?
If the rivets are holding the 2 metal peices together firmly, and there is no play then you should be good...

I havent even thought of riveting in a frame for a deck...I've got a 14/40 with a good size deck on the front but I've been thinking about extending it to the middle seat so I can get decent storage and my dog has somewhere to hang while i fish (she likes to lay between my feet...not good on a small deck haha)

Not sure, I only got about two squeezes in and about a 1/4 inch of the shaft breaks off. The rest is still attached and I have to cut it off. There is still a little play in the metal. And I can see the back of the rivets in this particular area (through the cup holder hole) and the backside is not cinched down much at all.

Same type of thing for me. Not building a huge deck but it will be nice to have some storage underneath and also get some "elevation" for casting.

Took the boat to the river today. Just wanted to make sure no leaks and my deck was going to be stable enough. Looks good so far!

Attachments

• 25 aug 11.jpg
    25 aug 11.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 1,365
Finished up the framing for the front deck today. I was surprised how strong it turned out. No play at all in the joints.

Attachments

• 27 aug 11c.jpg
    27 aug 11c.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 27 aug 11b.jpg
    27 aug 11b.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 1,330
Looks good.

In response to your question earlier about the rivets.... Make sure to buy rivets that have a grip range within the thickness you are connecting. There is a min and max number on the box. I found that by adding two rivets per joint, the connections were solid. If you stick with just one, they may start to losen over time.

Thanks, I may go back and "double tap" some of them. I got the hang of the rivets after I put in half a dozen or so. I was letting the head of the gun move around too much and was allowing the rivets to move while tightening them down, so they ended up having some play. Fixed those and the rest went in tight, virtually no play now.

I forgot to mention but the plywood will rest on the sides of the boat as shown with the blue line below. The area where the seat used to rest on, the rib in front of it, and the piece of aluminum angle I put on the bow are all level.

Also after thinking about it, I think tomorrow I am going to add some more bracing where the red lines are. Doesn't seem like enough support there.

Attachments

• 27 aug 11f.jpg
    27 aug 11f.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,310
Jonmac, Try a different rivet gun, the gun may be pinching the rivet shaft causing it to fail. Check the spent rivet to see if they are breaking at the same point. Pop rivets are designed to be weaker at the base. The rivet should be long to go through both pieces of metal and long enough for you to get one cycle before it snaps. Hope this helps.
Nice build and well thought out.....Jerry

Ok, I really finished the framing today. No kidding this time. No, I went back and put in a second rivet in most of the connections as Brine suggested and added some reinforcement in places. Also got the plywood cut. I have to make a trip to get some more Thompsons water seal and carpet glue now.

Attachments

• 28 aug 11 b.jpg
    28 aug 11 b.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 28 aug 11a.jpg
    28 aug 11a.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 1,291
Working on the front deck. Got the hatches cut out and then used Thompsons on the wood. The pics are out of order so the pic of the wood in the boat is not yet sealed. Will do second coat tomorrow.

Attachments

• 30 aug 11b.jpg
    30 aug 11b.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 1,267
  • 30 aug 11c.jpg
    30 aug 11c.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 1,267
Also got the rod holder put in today. The rods will have a slot where they can fit up underneath the front deck. I can fit 7 ft rods in the holder that way.

Put the motor back on the boat. Next time I put it in the water I will try it out. I have done a lot of work to it so hopefully it will crank.

Attachments

• 30 aug11d.jpg
    30 aug11d.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 1,267
  • 30 aug 11e.jpg
    30 aug 11e.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 1,267
  • 30 aug 11f.jpg
    30 aug 11f.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 1,267
Finished treating the wood for the front deck yesterday. I went and bought the carpet glue, trowel, etc so hopefully this weekend I can finish the front deck. Pics to follow soon.

Today I found out that I will never be a professional carpet layer. It looks ok but I guess the main thing is that it will be functional. If I were going for looks next time I would make the deck out of one piece of plywood if possible. I could not do mine in one piece due to the size but could've done it in two. I will post some pics this weekend. Hoping to fish on Monday! Have to wait 3 days for carpet glue to dry. Boat will not be done, but front deck will be and I should be able to go out and fish and test the motor while I am out.

Attachments

• 1 sept 11.jpg
    1 sept 11.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 1,210
Sorry about the quality of the pics. More to follow.

Attachments

• 2 sept 11c.jpg
    2 sept 11c.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 2 sept 11b.jpg
    2 sept 11b.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 1,195
Got the deck bolted down and my handle on the aft storage. (just a strap) We have a tropical storm coming ashore this weekend so not sure if I will get to fish Monday.

Attachments

• 3 sept 11a.jpg
    3 sept 11a.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 1,184
Just worked on small stuff today. Replaced the old old 1975 cup holder in the front (enlarged the hole with a jigsaw) and mounted a knife under the front seat. Also added the cleat in the pic.

Attachments

• 4 spet 11d.jpg
    4 spet 11d.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 4 sept 11c.jpg
    4 sept 11c.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 4 sept 11b.jpg
    4 sept 11b.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 4 sept 11a.jpg
    4 sept 11a.jpg