1984 16' Bass Attacker Complete Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had the need or opportunity to use Gluvit yet though I know many that have and it's worked amazingly. I believe if you tighten up the bow area and then apply the Gluvit you'll be golden.

Finished up with the wire brushing of the outside hull tonight. When I was satisfied that it was good and clean I then went over half of it with a 3m scotchbrite pad with dish soap just to give it a cleaner (white) look and remove any oils and dirt that remained , I'll do the other half tomorrow night after work. All the stickers are removed and it's time to start bucking rivets (neighbors are gonna love me lol) and then planning the sealing and painting process. Weathers turning cold fast here so just in case I don't get anything on the hull in the next few weeks is there a way to preserve the work I have already done ?
Prevent further corrosion from the elements to the freshly stripped aluminum ?
Thought about coating it in some sort of oil but also figured it might be hard to remove all traces and cause adhesion issues later on in the process.
I need to work out a weekend with our body shop manager when there aren't any cars in the booths so might take me a bit to get that worked out so I can have a booth for the whole weekend. Also have a tournament coming up on Lake Norman in Charlotte so it's gonna be a busy couple of weeks for me.
Suggestions , criticisms or just plain old encouragement welcome on any stage of the upcoming processes :) thanks again for following along.
There were a couple of rough spots in the hull where the bunks were in contact with the hull that appears to be caused from the previous owners using treated lumber. The same type of corrosion is present inside also wherever there was wood contact.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444696141.033254.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444696163.858491.jpg

Two products come to mind, JB Weld or Marine-tex filler.

I'm in the same boat now with the weather. Supposed to drop into the 40's tonight and low 50's the rest of the week So my painting has come to a halt.

Good luck in the tourney!

I think I'm ready to seal and paint this hull !
The wife and I bucked all the rivets on the front section where I saw water .... 170 of them !!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444784166.917268.jpg
I have to mention that she ended up using the air hammer and did a fabulous job while I was inside the hull with the backing weight. Team work !!!
You could really tell the difference once they were bucked and you could see where the gasket material in between was pushed tighter.

Now some questions -
The wife and I have decided that we want to try Duralux Marine paint that can be purchased through several of our local hardware stores , at a price we can live with right now . Has anyone used this paint ?
The exact base color will be
Duck Boat Drab
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444784320.275563.jpg

I will be using Gluvit for the sealing process for sure. We are going to order 1 gallon. (8lbs)

I was thinking of using 3M 5200 for all of the through hull sealing of bolts and stuff like that but also found this locally at Home Depot (who also sells the Duralux)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444783928.041094.jpg
Is this essentially the same thing ?
Would make it easy just buying it all at the depot (free shipping to store )

For the rest of the paint process as far as the camo design will be done with spray cans
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444783882.910931.jpg
Which can be purchased at the local walmart.
I also want to thank Smackdaddy for all the help with making my own Bucking tool ! It did a great job and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge !!

I haven't tried either of those 2 products though the paint looks interesting. Still looking an am undecided as to a color on the exterior of my Nymph. Toss between a red or dark blue. I do have a qt. of Rustoleum Marine Red but not sure if it is the color I want to use.

Also I'm just finishing up painting the interior of this Nymph and am using a Latex Rustoleum product to see how durable it will be.

If you decide to use this Duralux paint I'll be very interested in seeing how it comes out.

My 10 year old scored a nice anchor for us over the weekend on one of his scavenging trips while we were at the camper !
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445214320.751161.jpg
Thanks TVA for dropping the lake 30' for winter lol !

I am surprised that carabineer clip holds that anchor, I wouldn't use it, the clip that is, okay for your keys on a belt loop.

surfman said:
I am surprised that carabineer clip holds that anchor, I wouldn't use it, the clip that is, okay for your keys on a belt loop.
Yep whoever lost that anchor wasn't thinking straight for sure ! I have a use for the carabineer but wont be to hold the anchor for sure :)

Bigwrench said:
I think I'm ready to seal and paint this hull !

Now some questions -
The wife and I have decided that we want to try Duralux Marine paint that can be purchased through several of our local hardware stores , at a price we can live with right now . Has anyone used this paint ?
The exact base color will be
Duck Boat Drab

I used this last week. Same color too. I like it. I tried to spray it but I don't know what I'm doing and couldn't get a good spray. Too small of a compressor and the paint was too thick. I added thinner twice and still wasn't getting good results so I rolled it. I like the color. Doing second coat tonight. I have some pics on my build thread. 1957 Lonestar V Hull in the Jon boats, V hull conversions section.

Bigwrench said:
I will be using Gluvit for the sealing process for sure. We are going to order 1 gallon. (8lbs)

I got some West System G/Flex Epoxy 650 Toughened Epoxy 16oz off ebay. It was like $35 I think. Worked great for sealing my seams.

Bigwrench said:
I was thinking of using 3M 5200 for all of the through hull sealing of bolts and stuff like that but also found this locally at Home Depot (who also sells the Duralux)

My brother found the 10 oz I believe tube of 5200 at home depot locally for me (Owasso, OK) even though it wasn't listed on their website. If you have a store close to you, might call them and ask if they carry it.

A little update
I spent the day yesterday cleaning out the garage so I could move the boat inside .
Let it warm up overnight and will be sealing the seams this afternoon
Got my paint in and decided to use the Amazing Goop Coat It instead of Gluvit mostly due to price. Picked up a couple tubes of 3M 5200 at the local lowes.
Also picked up some rubber weatherseal at lowes , while it was on sale (local store closing and moving to the Bristol Cabelas location) everything was 40% off with the additional veterans discount
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446998915.022093.jpg
Hopefully I'll have the seams sealed this evening and get it ready for primer and paint next weekend.
Placed a space heater under the hull to warm the aluminum.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446999047.369770.jpg

Very nice. I too just got my Sea Nymph into the garage so maybe progress will pick up. Also looked into that Duralux paint after you posted it. Wish they had it in a dark blue.

Got it all sealed up from bow to stern , had just enough with the 2lb kit to do all the seamed areas.
First thing I did was wipe the areas I wanted to seal down with acetone
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447038175.940629.jpg
The air temperature inside the garage was a balmy 85 :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447038197.702258.jpg
I applied with a disposable brush being sure to get into the seams by scraping the bristles across the seam.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447038236.004763.jpg
I would then thoroughly coat the rivets holding the seam in a couple directions.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447038217.435053.jpg
I had to work quick due to a 30 minute working time.

I had to go back and recheck everything every 30 minutes to clean up the runs to keep it as smooth as possible to cut down on sanding time.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447038321.566255.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447038292.565542.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447038255.041331.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447038273.837192.jpg
I will seal all the inside seams as well before painting. Pretty happy with how it came out though so far.
I'm going to add pictures but most likely will have to move them around in sequence on my desktop tomorrow so they will make sense lol

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The sealer goes on the inside.
I decided to do both sides just in case, have seen it done both ways so decided to just cover all bases :)
The Coat it Product actually can be used on the outside also , I just wanted maximum protection unless I'm reading it wrong on their website ?
"• Practical – enables boats to glide smoothly over debris and rocks "
I'll email them to clarify but here's the entire description

"Coat-It is formulated with ceramic beads for abrasion resistance, graphite to give it slip or lubricity and Kevlar[emoji768] fiber for extreme toughness. It's a superior, waterproof epoxy sealer that will protect your boat bottom or truck bed. Coat-It can be applied to aluminum, fiberglass and wood surfaces with ease.

• Easy to use – just pour, stir and apply
• Tough – reinforced with Kevlar fibers for superior strength
• Practical – enables boats to glide smoothly over debris and rocks
• Fast drying – sets and dries completely in 10-12 hours
• Waterproof
• Seals small leaks and splits in a single coat"

Thanks for following along

Gonna sand this baby tonight and get it ready for the paint booth . Hopefully I can work it out with our Body shop manager this week and get it into one of our booths Friday night to warm over night. All depends on if there are customers cars in them though so keep your fingers crossed :)

Got some more work done this evening lightly scuffing the Kevlar Sealer , cleaning up any drips or runs and just smoothing it all out.
Real thick spots
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447120242.072387.jpg
I use a razor blade like a cabinet scraper
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447120297.164438.jpg
and scrape it on down and then scuff it with sandpaper
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447120322.829000.jpg
or a scotchbrite pad
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447120211.434900.jpg

Taking care around the seams and those rivet shoulders
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447120270.139714.jpg
or I'd just be defeating the purpose of the sealer. Around those areas I will lightly scuff with the pad by hand just enough to remove the "Sheen"

Really , really happy with this product. I think of it as a "Marine Bondo" lol
The Kevlar is tough as nails and easy to work with.
A final wipe down with acetone and I will wash and degrease it one more time before moving it into our Paint Booth.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447120356.068044.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447120356.068044.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,971
Also going to remove this livewell hose pass thru this week and either use Alumiweld to fill it or get our NASCAR shop manager to Tig it up for me , it is said that he can "Weld The Crack Of Dawn" lol so I will see if he has time . If not I will try the Alumiweld trick that I read about here in a recent thread.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447120885.746773.jpg

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Sounds like it's more like steelflex.
Wish I knew what it was like just to compare and give everyone a better idea but have never used it. This Coat It seems to to be pretty tough though. Hopefully it will hold over time, I will definitely post updates