About 80% done 1988 Alumacraft Update: 8/22/09 New Pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mini Update: new 9.8 tohatsu motor ordered today, will be here on the 25th. fast shipping! I also installed a new spare tire mount to the trailer and a new attwood trailer winch. I was only outside for about 45min ( after 10pm) and 2 oldest kids ( 3 and 5) decided they wanted to get up and I saw their bedroom lights on so I had to hurry and clean up my mess and get inside to see what they were into. Their mother was out at the driving range hitting golf balls and preparing for her golf lesson that she has tomorrow.

Got a question about this jack plate. I have a 35hp long shaft and a 20" transom. I am trying to do two things. One move the motor off the transom to cleaner water and two use the plate to distribute torque more to the center of my transom. This is rated for "up to" 35 hp. How well is it made? Do you think it would hold a 35 hp bumping stumps when I ran the river?

Wildman said:
Got a question about this jack plate. I have a 35hp long shaft and a 20" transom. I am trying to do two things. One move the motor off the transom to cleaner water and two use the plate to distribute torque more to the center of my transom. This is rated for "up to" 35 hp. How well is it made? Do you think it would hold a 35 hp bumping stumps when I ran the river?

The TH Mini Jacker is very well made. I think it will do OK for your application.

Been off work for a few days, worked on my boat some. I did the half throttle break in on the motor and now on the 3/4 throttle break in for another 6 hours. :shock: I also installed 2 cleats on the back of the boat and new guide-ons to the trailer.

I took the boat out on the lake and it did well. No leaks, engine is just awesome. I recommend Tohatsu! Here are some pictures.

https://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/cyberflexx/IMAG0752.jpg
https://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/cyberflexx/IMAG0762.jpg
https://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/cyberflexx/IMAG0760.jpg?t=1246462242
https://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/cyberflexx/IMAG0765.jpg
https://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/cyberflexx/IMAG0772.jpg
https://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/cyberflexx/IMAG0774.jpg
https://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/cyberflexx/IMAG0784.jpg

Here are some more pictures.. Including my oldest sons 1st boat ride and 1st time fishing from a boat and 1st fish caught from a boat!! Alot of firsts! I threw in a pic of the wife, who came home to find me working on the boat instead of doing the lawn.. :)

Attachments

• BoatatDock.jpg
    BoatatDock.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,157
  • firstlaunch1.jpg
    firstlaunch1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,157
  • firsttowing2.jpg
    firsttowing2.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMAG0762.jpg
    IMAG0762.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMAG0761.jpg
    IMAG0761.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMAG0768.jpg
    IMAG0768.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMAG0793.jpg
    IMAG0793.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMAG0798.jpg
    IMAG0798.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,157
As long as it doesnt rain, I am starting the decking today after 5pm and tomorrow as well. I have set a deadline of July 16th to have this finished so I can fish a bass club tourny that we have at the small lake ( 10hp limit).. I doubt I make it by then, but I am going to try..

Glad the boat/motor are working great.
Just concentrate on what is needed to fish the tournament,livewell mostly,maybe a trolling motor mount...should be able to get her done.
Good luck and congradulations to the little guy on his firsts:)

Great pics and congrats to the little man on his first boat-fish.

Are you gunna put a jack plate on the boat for the motor?

Brine said:
Great pics and congrats to the little man on his first boat-fish.

Are you gunna put a jack plate on the boat for the motor?

I think I will leave it as is... I have the MiniJacker that I may put back up for sale just to get my money back out of it..

How much for the jack plate? I've got a long shaft 18hp that could use it.
Thanks,
Adam

By the way, your not the only one who gets that "look" from the wife when your caught in the garage with the boat like some kind of secret affair rather than mowing the yard! HA HA

My friend Daniel and I measured for the decking and then took a trip to Lowes last night and bought the following:

1 can of Thompsons water sealer
1 brush
Marine grade carpet ( forgot how many yards)
carpet glue
wood to metal screws
2 - 4x8 sheets of plywood

We used Lowes free cutting service to cut the plywood to the approx length and width that we needed for the decking peices. This saved us alot of time and also the cuts were straight. We will then use a jigsaw to shape the peices to what we need.

We cut the front decking peice out last night and did a test fit. Seems to fit pretty good with room for the carpet to be rolled under the edge. This little decking area will be big enough to cover the trolling motor battery, plus have a little storage area below it, plus give me enough decking to mount my trolling motor bracket and room to lay stuff on like a shelf or possible stand on it if I need to. We can always change the design since it's not screwed in place yet. I will take a fresh look at it today when I get home from work..

Attachments

• decking1.jpg
    decking1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,142
make sure you seal the crap out of that OSB board... that stuff will hold water and warp like crazy.. not to mention come apart

russ010 said:
make sure you seal the crap out of that OSB board... that stuff will hold water and warp like crazy.. not to mention come apart

x2. Maybe even paint it? Looking good though, keep up the fine work!

I did not want that OSB at all, but my friend sort of forced me into getting it. I told him that I do not want to have to do the job over again next month, and that wood was sh!t but he kept pushing for it because it was less that $6 a sheet. I'll make him re-water seal it again tonight then make him go buy some paint and paint the peices..

Been busy last night!! worked from 5:30pm until 1am on the aluminum supports for my deck. My friend and I decided to make a deck from the front to the middle seat. We were both off today and wanted to fish, but I told him that the little boat was going no where untiul there is a deck and the trolling motor mounted and wired up and there is too much little boat parts in the way to pull the Ranger out of the garage. I worked on the wiring for my trolling motor battery and plug socket, and my friend started to cut aluminum angle. When I got done with the wiring ( had some issues with running wire through the hull) I helped him with the aluminum. Around midnight I said no more power tools unless we are just drilling in short bursts as I dont want to wake my neighbors. We hand cut the last 4 peices of aluminum, mocked up the supports, drilled holes and pop riveted it in place. We didnt have enough plywood since I changed my deck design at the last minute, so we used the 2 largest cut peices and made a functional full front deck and rear deck. We made an aluminum trolling motor bracket and ended up screwing it down to the boat at 7:15am this morning in the Kmart parking lot as I didnt want to bother the neighbors.

Took the boat out for most of the day, and all I can say is I am GLAD I decided to try a full deck. It took about 30 min. to get my sea legs and after that I was pretty much ok with the tippyness of the boat. We eneded up catching 5 and I missed about that many as I was really tired and not all with it..

I'll post some pics after the holiday...

I recommend trying a full deck before you decide that its not for you...I am glad I tried it and pop rivets are awesome! ( never used them before)

Here are some more pictures.. some are dark because we were out till 1am working, then went fishing at 7am :)

The plywood deck is ghetto looking. We are going to re-do that will aluminum sheeting ( if my friend can come through on locating me some). The deck was functional and worked, but we removed the plywood when we got back home from fishing.

We made a trolling motor mount out of aluminum and the deck supports were pop riveted in place, seemed pretty sturdy.

Attachments

• 1stBassFromLittleboat.jpg
    1stBassFromLittleboat.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 947
  • 2ndBassFromLittleBoat.jpg
    2ndBassFromLittleBoat.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 947
  • 3rdBassfromLittleboat.jpg
    3rdBassfromLittleboat.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 947
  • The-D.jpg
    The-D.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 947
  • IMAG0824.jpg
    IMAG0824.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 947
  • Motor2.jpg
    Motor2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 947
  • AluminumBoat-1stdecked.jpg
    AluminumBoat-1stdecked.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 947
  • aluminumsupoprts.jpg
    aluminumsupoprts.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 947
  • aluminumsupoprt2.jpg
    aluminumsupoprt2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 947
  • aluminumsupoprt3.jpg
    aluminumsupoprt3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 947
  • cutghettodeck.jpg
    cutghettodeck.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 947
  • GhettoDecking.jpg
    GhettoDecking.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 947
  • ghettofrontdeck.jpg
    ghettofrontdeck.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 947
  • GhettoReardeck.jpg
    GhettoReardeck.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 947
Nice mod, just curious as to why you went with the OSB when you spent good money on that aluminum angle. but I agree it will be easy to replace the OSB since you have a aluminum frame. Not a bad idea if your like me and want to change things often.