About 80% done 1988 Alumacraft Update: 8/22/09 New Pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am suppose to be getting some aluminum sheets today. I will use the OSB that we have already measured and cut out, as a template.

I am sort of OK with going with the OSB for now since it was cheap and I am now changing my design and not out a ton of cash for the good stuff. I think this aluminum will rock once I get cut and put into place.

We did a little work on it last night. We framed up a place to bolt in the seat post mount and supported the area with aluminum angle. Had a bad evening of breaking drill bits ( broke 2 ). I am going to try to work some more on it tonight, weather permitting and wife permitting.

sorry for the dark picture, we were working in the dark with one shop light. seems like we are always working on this thing after the sun goes down.

Attachments

• frontseatsupportframe.jpg
    frontseatsupportframe.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,056
Nothing new to report. Going to work on the boat this evening, probably do the electrical, still waiting on a guy trying to get me some aluminum..

Update:

my friend, Daniel is just awesome when it comes to DIY jobs. Last night he carpeted the power panel and part of the back deck, added some supports for the rear deck lid. While he did that, I pulled some more wire through the hull for the front 12volt aux plug and removed some old wiring that was already there before I bought the boat. I made an access panel in the rear seat wall so I could get my hand in there to tighten down the bolts for the seat mount and cut out some of the foam floatation. We got in about 2.5 hours of work. I think we made some good progress. Its amazing what a little carpet will do to one of these jon boats. when we did the test fittings I was amazed at the difference. It's slowly starting to look awesome.

Attachments

• frontcarpet.jpg
    frontcarpet.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • partialreardeck-powerpanel-carpet.jpg
    partialreardeck-powerpanel-carpet.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • powerpanel-carpet.jpg
    powerpanel-carpet.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,012
Going to work on this thing hard and heavy on Sunday and hopefully have it finished up..

I got some aluminum sheets yesterday. Four 4ftx4ft and Two 2ftx2ft sections. I came home from work and it was laying up in the boat. For FREE

Started on the decking with my new aluminum... We cut out two 24inch long openings for storage boxes. We still have some more panels to measure and cut..

If you have to cut aluminum, use a circular saw and a Dewalt aluminum cutting blade ( buy it at lowes). We cut through that stuff like a hot knife through butter....

Attachments

• IMAG0918.jpg
    IMAG0918.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 965
  • IMAG0919.jpg
    IMAG0919.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 965
cyberflexx said:
If you have to cut aluminum, use a circular saw and a Dewalt aluminum cutting blade ( buy it at lowes). We cut through that stuff like a hot knife through butter....

Why? I'd rather use a grinder, and set fire to my yard with sparks, meanwhile making the crappiest cut possible! :-s

:mrgreen:

Boat looks great, and really well-thought out.

cyberflexx said:
I got some aluminum sheets yesterday. Four 4ftx4ft and Two 2ftx2ft sections. I came home from work and it was laying up in the boat. For FREE

I have to train my boat to fetch like that! I hope you give it a proper treat!

LOL

Nice work man!

Bufford

RBuffordTJ said:
cyberflexx said:

I have to train my boat to fetch like that! I hope you give it a proper treat!

LOL

Nice work man!

Bufford

Thanks.. LOL!!! the treat I am giving it is, a new home since it was neglected, new make-over, new motor, new bearings, rims and tires and being garage kept as of yesterday. Hopefully he will enjoy his new life as my little beater boat. I'll take it places I am afraid to take my Ranger :)

We did some work on the boat last night.. about 3 hours worth. We installed the new seat mount, pole and new seat and got the rear deck completed. We carpeted the front deck and mounted the depth finder ( except transducer and power hookup, wires run though) A few pics are dark, my cell phone doesnt have a flash...

* I know the bolts are upside down on the seat mount, had some problems getting it to tighten down the other way since the socket wrench was to large for the area we had cut out

Attachments

• IMAG0926.jpg
    IMAG0926.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMAG0927.jpg
    IMAG0927.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMAG0928.jpg
    IMAG0928.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMAG0929.jpg
    IMAG0929.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMAG0930.jpg
    IMAG0930.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMAG0931.jpg
    IMAG0931.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMAG0932.jpg
    IMAG0932.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMAG0933.jpg
    IMAG0933.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,436
I like rivets... screws have a tendency to work themselves loose, not to mention make the diameter of the hole larger when you open and close the door...

more pics...

Front deck carpeted, hinges installed for storage lids, depth finder and transducer installed..

Attachments

• IMAG0984.jpg
    IMAG0984.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,389
  • IMAG0983.jpg
    IMAG0983.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,389
  • IMAG0982.jpg
    IMAG0982.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,389
  • IMAG0981.jpg
    IMAG0981.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,389
  • IMAG0979.jpg
    IMAG0979.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,389
huntinfool said:
What else ya gonna do to it?

I need to wire up my power panel breaker. I am installing a couple 12volt lighter plugs for black lights, install automotive voltmeter, put navi lights on a switch, install master power shutoff switch. Thinking about putting a switch so the motor could start off either battery so when my trolling motor battery gets weak , i can flip the switch over and charge it off the main motor. Just mostly electrical stuff we need to do and to finish the back section of the front deck, and sides down in the non-decked part of the boat and carpet that...