Alumacraft 1236 Makeover- livewell pg 11 - update front deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... after a week and 6+" of rain, I was finally able to get a little bit done today.
I framed the back deck, and cut out the deck for the rear and the front, as well as the front seat. I was originally going to use aluminum angle to do all the bracing, but with money tight and really no need for it, I used what I had laying around the house. I used 2x2, and 3/8" NON pressure treated architectural plywood.

I am not going to fasten anything down to the boat - In the rear, I made the frame to rest on the ribs, and then I'll attach that frame to the deck (not deck to the frame, attach from the rear side, so no screws will be going through the carpet. I decided to do it like this so that I can take the panels in and out if I want to.

DSCF0150.jpg

DSCF0151.jpg

DSCF0154.jpg

DSCF0152.jpg

As for the front deck, I'm going to use angle as the rear brace across the back seat, then build up the brace again with 2x2. I might end up using aluminum, just haven't made up my mind yet. I want to be able to take it in and out as well. Only thing I've done so far is cut out the deck - it's opening weekend, and there are a few games I have to see!! If you can see in the second picture, the sides are accessible - this is where I can stick my plano boxes when fishing in the front. I hadn't planned doing that, but after screwing up my measurements somehow (maybe too much budweiser) it worked out to where they would fit perfectly in between the ribs.

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

DSCF0158.jpg

DSCF0159.jpg

The plans for the seats are as follows - 7" fixed pedestal on the rear bench seat, vertical adjustable swivel seat on the front deck. I wanted to put the 3/4" removable seats, but the one I have pictured I bought new at a flea market for $15 (reg $55 at BPS) and the removable set up would have cost me more than $60 for the setup I wanted. I do most of my fishing standing anyways, but fishing in the front I'll have to stay seated... I can take the seat off and sand over the mount - but I'd end up in the water tripping over it. The seat is not yet mounted, just sitting there... One pic is seat in the down position, the next all the way up - I like it that it can be set anywhere between those 2 heights.

DSCF0160.jpg

DSCF0161.jpg

I had big plans of doing all types of storage and stuff like that, but I changed my mind since this is only a 1236 and I am just going to save the money for all of that stuff until I can get me a 14'er.... then I'll fix it the way I want it. I also had to start thinking about weight, my truck is getting a little sluggish, and the last thing I need right now is a burnt clutch... so when a new truck comes, so does the search of another boat.

I've got some solid Decking Stain that I'm going to paint these, then maybe I can go out and get some carpet tomorrow from Lowe's and finish it up.

Looks great! You got a heck of a deal on the seats, and I've used them before too & they're pretty comfortable.

ST

oh about those seat... those are the Wise brand (not Action like you get at Wally World)... Those I actually paid $30 for at Bass Pro Shops - FYI - if you're military you get 10% discount on the 15-22 of everymonth... Anyways, the front pedestal is what I got for such a cheap price. The guy wanted $45, but I traded him $15 and a $2 knife that I got at a stand a few spots down from his... hated to be a cheap skate, but then again - that's what flea markets are for!

....this is where I can stick my plano boxes when fishing in the front. I hadn't planned doing that....

Don't ever put in your project that you hadn't planned on doing something that turned out good.... :lol: :lol: That way, you can actually take credit for the good idea... :D :D

Also, if you go dumping out the big box like you did in my boat, you may have a problem...... :shock: :shock:

bassboy1 said:
....Also, if you go dumping out the big box like you did in my boat, you may have a problem...... :shock: :shock:

you know...... I usually only take that box with me, and set out the 2 colors of worms I use, and only open the top - so I never spill it.... unfortunately, I wasn't that lucky when we went out

I finally got my bunks in last night that I ordered from https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/... I will take pics of them when I get home tonight. They said they were composite, but it looks like a 2x4 with some type of rubberized coating on them.

I am going to take the rollers off the trailer, and lay these flat - there is like an extra layer of rubber stuff on the horizontal part that supposedly make it grip more when it's dry, then makes it slicker than shat when it's wet... I did wet it a little last night and when I stepped on it, I couldn't keep my footing.. maybe this stuff works like they state.

Anybody ever used these things before?

I haven't used those, but I have used the slicks that go on top of wood. (walmart cutting board is the same material for a cheaper price). Aside from the fact that the bunk design was a bad one for the boat in question, they did work real well. I have a feeling that they will be going on the Yazoo trailer, as the carpet isn't doing well at all.

I put the bunks on last night, but was unable to post the pictures....

I've got a question though -

One of the bunks (I placed them laying flat) is resting right under one of the ribs of the boat, and it doesn't sit flat on that side... should I move the bunk more to the middle of the trailer so that the boat will rest flat on it and not the rib - I'll move the bunk over about 2 inches?

I use a strap across the back - from one side of the trailer to the other to hold the boat down, and it doesn't move. I also don't plan on driving the boat up onto the bunks, those things are slick as crap and I won't be able to hold it steady and try to crank myself in at the same time. I'm going to use my rope to pull it up on the trailer, attach the winch strap, then pull it on out and strap it down on the ramp.

I've been working a little bit the past few nights, and I've got a pretty good bit accomplished.

I decided to go ahead and cut out the middle bench seat and make places on the sides to put 2 batteries, then use the center section as a large storage bin for all of my soft plastics... I have a TON!
DSCF0167.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0163.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

I plan on having 3 comparments - I still have to cut/paint that board that's over the bench. 2 will open from the rear of the boat to the back (thats really the only way to put the batteries in and out)... the middle will open left to right or vise versa... I plan on putting some hooks in the lid to hold jigs and spinnerbaits. I'll have to figure out how to rig that one without them going everywhere when I open it.

I don't have pics yet, but I finished framing the front deck. I'll post pics of that tomorrow as long as it's not raining and I'm not fishing!

That's a great idea.I may keep my seats now and just cut them open.You can get auto door edge protectors, and put around the opening, to keep from cutting your hands and arms on the sharp edges.Most any chain auto store has it.It's pretty thin so it won't close up the opening.Just an idea.

Looks good! That'll make a nice spot for the batteries. Have you considered making something more along the lines of a drawer for your baits? One that could pull-out the side of the seat, as opposed to the top? It'd keep your baits in the same position & might eliminate some problems.

Nice job :wink:
ST

russ010 said:
One of the bunks (I placed them laying flat) is resting right under one of the ribs of the boat, and it doesn't sit flat on that side... should I move the bunk more to the middle of the trailer so that the boat will rest flat on it and not the rib - I'll move the bunk over about 2 inches?
Yes, you don't want the boat on the rib. Measure from the center of the boat, to the center of where you want the bunk to touch the boat (usually directly between 2 chines). Then, measure from the centerpoint of the trailer, and mark that spot. That is where you should center your bunks.

SlimeTime said:
Looks good! That'll make a nice spot for the batteries. Have you considered making something more along the lines of a drawer for your baits? One that could pull-out the side of the seat, as opposed to the top? It'd keep your baits in the same position & might eliminate some problems.

Nice job :wink:
ST

I thought about that, but I raised the floors, so I would only have access to about 4-5 inches... and since I have a ton of plastics, I would rather just sort through the bench because I keep them sorted in a way that I know where everything is.

Off to do some carpeting...

bassboy - give me a call if you wanna get out tomorrow. My boat won't be ready, but I'll be free if you want to go.

Waterwings said:
Progress looks good! Can you fit a battery tray in there so the batts don't slide around? Checkout the link for some tackle storage ideas: https://www.cooksgoto.com/, and here's their photo gallery with lots of pics of their systems mounted: https://www.cooksgoto.com/Photo_Gallery.cfm 8)
I thought about that too, but he could screw a couple vertical pieces (either wood strips or aluminum angle) on each side of the insides of the seats, and the batteries could just slide down into them. That would prevent any movement, and still make them easy to remove.

ST

SlimeTime said:
Waterwings said:
Progress looks good! Can you fit a battery tray in there so the batts don't slide around? Checkout the link for some tackle storage ideas: https://www.cooksgoto.com/, and here's their photo gallery with lots of pics of their systems mounted: https://www.cooksgoto.com/Photo_Gallery.cfm 8)
I thought about that too, but he could screw a couple vertical pieces (either wood strips or aluminum angle) on each side of the insides of the seats, and the batteries could just slide down into them. That would prevent any movement, and still make them easy to remove.ST

That's a good idea also! :)

SlimeTime said:
Waterwings said:
I thought about that too, but he could screw a couple vertical pieces (either wood strips or aluminum angle) on each side of the insides of the seats, and the batteries could just slide down into them. That would prevent any movement, and still make them easy to remove.

ST

That is what my plan is... I'm not buying special pieces just for batteries to sit in.. I've got some rubber mat that I'm going to place under the batteries, then I'm going to enclose the middle compartment for all of my baits.