Alumacraft 1236 Makeover- livewell pg 11 - update front deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used an automotive paint sprayer with air compressor to paint this.
DSCF0149.jpg

I wasn't about to do this in my garage... my wife would have killed me not to mention I don't want all of my stuff to have a blue tint to it. I did paint it outside, luckily in the 10 minutes I spent painting, the wind didn't blow once, so there was not much if any overspray.

Can anybody tell me where I can find a couple of these types of bunk brackets? I can't find them anywhere.

0819081737.jpg

Don't know where you'd find a bunk bracket like that, but if you have access to a "smoke wrench" (torch), a big vice, a big hammer, a drill, and some galvanized flat bar, you could manufacture some. Just a thought. :)

EDIT Argh. Waterwings and dedawg beat me. Oh well.

I haven't seen any of that sort sold anywhere. What are the dimensions of the material? Looks to be what, 1 inch or 1 1/4, with an eighth inch thickness. Get you a piece of that from Home Depot or Lowes, clamp it in a vice, and bend it. May need a hammer to help, but it should work alright, and usually the alloy of steel that the big box stores sell are usually one that will cold bend fairly readily (I play with aluminum more, so I couldn't tell you the alloy).

Now, seeing a picture of what you were describing on Saturday, I still stand by my idea of just bolting the bunks straight to the trailer. Lay them flat, and bolt down with a countersunk carriage bolt directly to the crossbar. With a flat bottom boat, it can't hit the crossbar, so you don't really need standoffs, and they just add more height which requires you to back in farther.

Is a compressor that small capable of keeping up with a paint sprayer, or did you have to stop and let it fill up every now and then?

That's a 150psi compressor. I had the hose pressure set at 40... I started off painting in small sections and stopping, then I said to hell with it and just kept going. It didn't sputter on me at all, but it took a little adjusting on a piece of plywood before I hit the boat. I've got a few runs, but only because I didn't get all primer runs from yesterday wet sanded all the way down. (you're technically supposed to wait until the next day, but I don't always follow the rules.

The guy at the boat store where I bought the paint told me it would take 2 quarts to paint this boat. I used 1 quart of primer and 1 quart of paint... and I"ve still got some left over. I thinned it out with medium reducer from O'Reilys. I wasn't paying the high prices for the same stuff at Boater's World. Mixed it at a ratio of 5:1 and that stuff went on great.

If you decide to paint your boat, you can borrow my gun if you want to bassboy. (That is, if you don't already have one.)

Bassboy - About those bunks and laying them flat.... can I still get by with just 2 bunks? I bought 2 6' bunks from https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com.

You can still get by with 2. It will double the support, as it has double the width with the same two. With those, is it the same material all the way through? I didn't realize you had bought those. If the top is a different material than the rest, that idea is shot. Also, if you put those sideways, they will have tapers at each end, and if you cut it, you will have an unfinished end. Wouldn't matter functionally, but if you are anal retentive like me it just wouldn't work.

I might just wait until I get the bunks, then get you to come over and look at it... we can fish the ponds across the road I was tellling you about as well. I don't know when to expect to get those bunks - I did read somewhere where it said it takes 2 weeks from the time of ordering..

This is my first time as well shadow... seems like some of this stuff just comes natural though. I've always tinkered in things while growing up. We didn't have much when I was growing up, so we made do with what we had. Alot of the stuff I now own are pass-me-downs from my dad who doesn't do as much tinkering as he used to. It's amazing what you can do with a limited amount of tools.

Wish I had been smart and painted that primer on with the spray gun instead of a brush... I didn't wet sand well enough and you can see the runs from the primer. OH well, it's a boat and it's gonna be in the water. Besides, the way I look at it is like this - The outside of the boat is for everybody else to look at, the inside is for YOU.. so that's where I'm about to start working. Might take a little while though, I think we are about to get some storms off that hurricane

I'm trying to figure out what trolling motor will best serve me, and what size shaft. I've got a bow mount 40# foot controlled, and I've got a 50# transom mount that has a 42" shaft.

I tried on an old trolling motor that didn't work for practice, and I was able to shorten the shaft to whatever length I wanted. I don't really know the correct depth to set the trolling motor behind the boat, if it should be tilted or straight down, or what... any information or pictures of your setup would be very helpful.

can somebody tell me the best place to purchase the wheels/tires from? I've seen a lot of prices online, but I know somebody out there can probably do a better search than I can. I don't know if it's cheaper to buy online, or if there is a store that carries them.

I also have another question....

I plan on decking the inside, not up to the gunwhales, but to where it will still be stable enough for standing. Would it be better to use something like Herculiner, or just a flat paint? I was thinking of doing the Herculiner on the floor, then flat up near the edges. I have also thought about framing out off the walls about 1.5" so that I can make me some storage compartments with Plano boxes - then I would really only need to paint the top rail - I guess this would end up being the blue as well, then I wouldn't have to buy any more paint.

If you guys have any ideas for certain mods, please post them! I really want to cut down that center bench some and have a walk through straight to the front deck, but I'm still leery about cutting it out in fear of losing support. My floor is a 36", and the beam is 54".... I'm just trying to keep this thing relatively stable because I hate fishing sitting down. If you can think of anything that should be added that you wish you had, or if you have anything in mind - I'm open to all ideas!

russ010 said:
can somebody tell me the best place to purchase the wheels/tires from? I've seen a lot of prices online, but I know somebody out there can probably do a better search than I can. I don't know if it's cheaper to buy online, or if there is a store that carries them.

I bought my tires and wheels from KMT Parts:

https://kmtparts.com

I got the tires and wheels from KMT cheaper that I could get the tires alone from other places I checked.

Mark

russ010 said:
That's a 150psi compressor. I had the hose pressure set at 40... I started off painting in small sections and stopping, then I said to hell with it and just kept going. It didn't sputter on me at all, but it took a little adjusting on a piece of plywood before I hit the boat. I've got a few runs, but only because I didn't get all primer runs from yesterday wet sanded all the way down. (you're technically supposed to wait until the next day, but I don't always follow the rules.

The guy at the boat store where I bought the paint told me it would take 2 quarts to paint this boat. I used 1 quart of primer and 1 quart of paint... and I"ve still got some left over. I thinned it out with medium reducer from O'Reilys. I wasn't paying the high prices for the same stuff at Boater's World. Mixed it at a ratio of 5:1 and that stuff went on great.

If you decide to paint your boat, you can borrow my gun if you want to bassboy. (That is, if you don't already have one.)

Bassboy - About those bunks and laying them flat.... can I still get by with just 2 bunks? I bought 2 6' bunks from https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com.

So you are to sand the boat to the metal.

Paint it with primer.

Sand the primer just a little ?

paint with color paint ?

Why sand the primer before the paint ?

I didn't take it all the way down to the metal. I bought a coarse sander that will fit in a regular drill from walmart and just ruffed up the coat of paint that was already on the boat, and take off the glue from the stickers.

I primed it, then I wet sanded the places where the paint had ran. When you wetsand with 200 grit paper, it just makes the paint that ran smooth to the touch with the rest of the paint. You don't have to sand the primer, I just didn't want those runs to bleed through.

I really put 2 coats of primer on, then 2 coats of paint. I did this because it makes it bond better (primer to the boat, paint to the primer). I sprayed it with a paint gun and compressor for 2 reasons: 1 - I already had a paint sprayer and compressor... 2 - it's cheaper to buy the paint in a quart size ($20 for quart of primer, $40 for quart of paint, $10 for spraying thinner), as opposed to buying I don't know how many rattle cans (spray paint cans). I painted a 14' jon once with rattle cans, and it took me almost 2 weeks to get the feeling back in my finger. If you figure spray cans are $5 a can, I figured I would have to use atleast 8 cans of each primer and paint to get what I was wanting. That comes out to $80. And when I painted this boat it only took me 10 minutes to put on each coat. The more thin coats you can put on, the better the results.

Let me know if you need help with anything, all you gotta do is ask.

Mossy535 said:
russ010 said:

I bought my tires and wheels from KMT Parts:

https://kmtparts.com

I got the tires and wheels from KMT cheaper that I could get the tires alone from other places I checked.

Mark

I stopped by Tractor Supply on the way home tonight and they have those wheels for $45 each (4.80/8 with 4 lugs). That will probably be the best I can find since I don't have to pay shipping.

I'm still debating on the 12" wheels. I like the fact that with 8" wheels I won't have to back as far down into the water, and the farthest I travel to fish would be about 50 miles... so I'll probably stick with the 8" wheels.

russ010 said:
I stopped by Tractor Supply on the way home tonight and they have those wheels for $45 each (4.80/8 with 4 lugs). That will probably be the best I can find since I don't have to pay shipping.

I'm still debating on the 12" wheels. I like the fact that with 8" wheels I won't have to back as far down into the water, and the farthest I travel to fish would be about 50 miles... so I'll probably stick with the 8" wheels.

KMT has the 4.80-8, load range C wheel and tire combo for $27.68:

https://kmtparts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=499973&showprevnext=1

or the 4.80-12, load range C combo for $45.32:

https://kmtparts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=569693&showprevnext=1

When I ordered a complete set of wheels and tires from them back in May the shipping was only $16.05

Mark

Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards all carry tire & wheel combos. I'd check prices befor buying at TSC, they're usually alittle higher on most stuff. I'd still do the 12" wheels..... :wink:

Another option....dad bought a set of 8" wheel/tires at a rummage sale, tires were like new...$5 each.

ST

Boat looks GREAT!

As for trolling motors. I'm usind a 34# Motorguide. And it'll scoot my boat around at a good clip (Sears 1232). 5 forward speeds and 2 reverse. It has an adjustable stop for setting the depth and it also tilts with several notches to lock it. I guess it's all personal preference and the depth of water your fishing in..

thats the same rolling motor I've got on my Fish Master 1232 and I like it.... but it just doesn't get me going as fast as as other. I put the 55# on the 1232, and it seemed like it seemed like it was sloiwer than the 34... thats why I was trying to figure out how far below the boat the prop should be, as well as what angle it should be