ALUMACRAFT 14FD MOD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEER TIME

Reaction score
Im in the process of doing a mod to this boat. I will post progress pics when i start on it in a few weeks. Any tips and advice is more than welcome since this is my first mod. I have gotten alot of advice so far looking at post but was wondering how much space do you leave when your building your storage compartments for carpet when doing the doors just wondering the gap so they close nice but not to tight or to loose if that makes sense? i will be tearing out the middle seats putting in a floor and storage on the sides and front and back but keeping it as low as possible. for the floor i have sheets of aluminium that is .83 thick that should work i hope as long as the bracing is spaced close and plywood for the storage areas. thanks again for the great site before this i thought i was stuck with just a regular boat! :D

Grew up in one of those boats, loved it.

As far as the gap, remember if you are wrapping with plywood to allow 1/4" all around depending on the carpet you use. I made a few of mine a little tight.

Well finally got it pulled in the garage. planning on taking out the middle two benches and putting in a floor and storage on the sides and front and back. I have some sheets of aluminium that is .083 thick that I plan on using for the floor but may have to brace it pretty good. have to replace the transom get carpet and carpet glue, hinges and 1 sheet of plywood maybe 2 and spar finish. I have a bunch of 2x2's for framing. and im sure im missing some odds and ends. but heres the start any advice is more than welcome since this is my first mod. I have looked closely to others and might have to steal some ideas hope nobody minds. a couple of the pics are of the boat and my little foremen to help get the job done. thanks again for the great site!mail2.jpgmail.jpgmail1.jpg

Attachments

• mail2.jpg
    mail2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,698
  • mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,698
Got it sanded down and filled with water and found some leaks so sanded all the rivets and put some 5200 on them and ready for final sanding. removed 2 seat and trying to figure out the floor layout. so far its been a fun project. do you think the .083 aluminium will be thick enough for the floor as long as I have good bracing, also there was no foam in the seats so should I still ad foam to the floor. thanks any advice good or bad is advised. next is the flooring paint and transom. then some storage compartments

Attachments

• mail4.jpg
    mail4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,659
  • mail3.jpg
    mail3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,659
  • mail5.jpg
    mail5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,659
  • mail6.jpg
    mail6.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,659
Nice start. The .083 will be fine with enough support, but I don't know how much. Maybe a support every 12 inches?

As far as the foam goes, I removed the foam that was in my seats & I didn't put any back in. My boat floats fine, however, if I were to get swamped it would probably sink easier. A lot of people here don't like removing the foam & they may be right, but so far I haven't had a problem doing it.

Nice looking tinny!!
I would put foam back in it! Boat sinking conditions can come without warning!
If you get swamped bad it will sink for sure without foam.
Then you will have lost everything that you worked for.. Just my opinion!!
Boats with foam even sink just not completely, unless over loaded..

Well im iching to get this thing painted but the 5200 isnt hard yet its been almost 3 days :( how long have you guys waited to paint and heres a few more questions..

Do i need to use stainless steel staples for the carpet?
How much paint will it take to rattle can the ecthed primer?
How much carpet should i figure on getting, i will be doing entire floor and back deck and lockers on the side if time permits?

I don't know where you live, but colder temps will affect the cure process on 5200. You can paint right over the 5200 even when wet. Just be warned if you did not get all the leaks you will have to reprep and paint again. If I remember right I used 6 cans of self etching primer, and probably 8 cans of paint. I put two coats of primer....and IMO was way overkill. You only need a light coat of primer if your prep work is good. I think I have 3 coats of paint and because I put the primer on so thick i could use another coat......but what the heck I was not going for a factory finish. If you want that, I suggest you use a spaygun.

bigwave said:
I don't know where you live, but colder temps will affect the cure process on 5200. You can paint right over the 5200 even when wet. Just be warned if you did not get all the leaks you will have to reprep and paint again. If I remember right I used 6 cans of self etching primer, and probably 8 cans of paint. I put two coats of primer....and IMO was way overkill. You only need a light coat of primer if your prep work is good. I think I have 3 coats of paint and because I put the primer on so thick i could use another coat......but what the heck I was not going for a factory finish. If you want that, I suggest you use a spaygun.
I went and bought a cheap spray gun Gona try it out tonight. Me and a paint gun is pretty scarery :shock:

Got the framing done, side storage, and back deck done and 1st coat of spar. so far its coming along. Need to order some hinges and get carpet and install the floor.

Attachments

• mail7.jpg
    mail7.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,428
  • mail8.jpg
    mail8.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,428
  • mail9.jpg
    mail9.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,428
  • mail10.jpg
    mail10.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,428
Got busy this weekend and got the carpet laid and fitted and two coats of spar on the transom. have a few things to finish like hinges transom and wiring, seats, fish finder but its getting close! my luck there will still be ice come opener! :x

Attachments

• Resampled_2013-03-24_17-09-33_515.jpg
    Resampled_2013-03-24_17-09-33_515.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Resampled_2013-03-24_14-45-40_825.jpg
    Resampled_2013-03-24_14-45-40_825.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Resampled_2013-03-24_12-55-49_486.jpg
    Resampled_2013-03-24_12-55-49_486.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Resampled_2013-03-24_12-08-27_296.jpg
    Resampled_2013-03-24_12-08-27_296.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Resampled_2013-03-24_12-08-17_494.jpg
    Resampled_2013-03-24_12-08-17_494.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 1,307
I have yet put foam back in. but the floor is easily removable for cleaning and such. I plan on cutting and placing foam between the braces. the boat had no foam to speak of but I think the seats were sealed air tight for floatation. still need to do the wiring also and hinges and finish a few more coats on the transom but I love how its turning out so far. So how much we use this boat with kids this year and may end up buying a bigger tin and doing a mod. this stuff is a lot of work but addicting :D

Well was able to get the rest done sat. All I have left is the decals that im waiting for and the trailer is next. I know I kind of did things in reverse but I get to antsy when start a project. THANKS TO THIS SITE FOR ALL THE HELP!

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 319
I have been looking on here for an alumacraft with the aqueduct transom that had a deck all the way up to it and I finally found yours. Can you tell me how you connected it there or did you just build up next to it? Or if you have closer pictures of that during the build that would be great. I want a setup almost identical to yours. Is your fuel tank under the aqueduct? If you don't mind giving me some measurements of your setup I would love to have them. I just came out of the driveway trying to envision the side storage boxes and their size. How wide is the floor between your boxes. I really love the way you did your FD!!!!

I like it a lot. I have been considering revising my floor plan and moving the center box to both sides like your. I'd be interested to hear how it fishes when you get her out on the water. Where is your live-well? Do you have any pictures of it? How is the interior laid out?

Latest posts