Any Interest in a Rally/Get-together?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FishingCop said:
Jim said:
FishingCop said:
Bubba raised a valid concern which I also mentioned earlier - $135 per night and up...

Jim asked about the dock - these are not private docks, it is a large public marina. We'd be wise to remove all our gear anytime we come in, lunch, dinner and definately over night.

Many of the other resorts have their own private docks which are safer for leaving your gear on the boat.

The price range for other locations are from $70-$80 per night and up (two bedroom, 4-6 persons) but don't have the amenities like the whilrpools, etc. - more geared for a fishing weekend than a luxurious vacation spot. I would think that those would be more appealing for our members wants???

Again I would ask the locals to help out with assessing the numerous resorts to find one that is affordable amd meets our fishing needs. G3_Guy has postd several options to look at.

Again, just adding my 2 cents worth. After many trips to other lakes, I have always found it more comfortable staying at family owned or smaller resorts with private docks than at the large resorts located by the huge public marinas....

I agree...I'm going at this blind. The cheaper rates are appealing.

Not so much the cheaper rates as the security of a smaller resort, cabins generally closer to the lake, docks generaly more private and secure, less commercialized and more family oriented and all around a better deal for a group like ours to enjoy socialize and fish in one of the better lakes in the country.

I'm not trying to push EC down anyone's throat and I certainly realize everyone's concerns regarding price... especially in today's economy. However, I've stayed there my past two trips and have had a great experience. I plan on staying there on my next two trips this winter and New Years as well. It didn't have that "big resort feel", at least the past times I've spent there. My only concern, would be for those members who would be making a family vacation out of this... I'm not sure the other locals have the amenities to keep the wife and kids peaceful and happy for 3 days and as I mentioned earlier, there is not a ton of things to see, other than nature, in that area. It might be wise to start a list of who all plans to attend and who they would be bringing with them. This might help us get a feel for the type of place needed. As for the boat dock, I left my boat tied up 5 nights there and never had a problem... but like Bubba mentioned I have lockable storage which I utilized. For those of you who do not, they do have roller carts which you can use to haul your stuff back and forth with if needed. There is only one road in and out of the resort and they have staff that stay in the office each night, which is directly in front of the two walkways down to the dock. Again, not trying to sound like this is the only place available, as it's not. I just want to make sure everyone and their family are covered. Once we get a good list of attendees together, I can call around to some of these different places and see what they have available and what kind of deals they can offer.

As FC mentioned, check out the other links and see what you think. Post your comments and let's discuss. I'm up for whatever the group decides.

As FC mentioned, check out the other links and see what you think. Post your comments and let's discuss. I'm up for whatever the group decides.[/quote]

I have looked at several other possibilities and I am beginning to see that this particular lake does not have many (if any) private resorts with private docks, etc. They all seem to have the large marinas (rather than a small private dock) - I thimk that is because of them being Corp of Engineer lakes and have limited accessability. I am more used to places like Bull Shoals, Norfolk and Table Rock in Mo & Arkansas or resorts up in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minn.

That being said, I'm believing that we won't find a small resort with private facilities like I envisioned. I yeild to G3's ideas since he has been there and has seen them first hand. I'm still checking some web sites to see what I find, but I'm thinking I'll not find what I had in mind......

I agree with his suggestion to see how many, who, and what they are looking for, then find a place that acomodates most of our needs....

I'm sure you guys will have a great time. DH is on my short list of lakes to hit before too awfully long. I fished Lake Cumberland this spring.

Unfortunately, October is always next to impossible for me to get away on the weekends. :(

I hope you guys seine the lake.

It would be a 772 Mile / 13 hour drive for me. I would love to come down with my boat but I don't think its possible and I'm not sure either of my vehicles would make it #-o . Alright, whose coming down my way? (South Jersey) Maybe I could hitch a ride with Jim when he is pickin up Capt. Ahab... :D

Man, I was sitting here being all bummed out that there would be no way I could partake in this event and then I realized this is for October 2009. It is a 9 1/2 hour drive, prolly 11 with the boat but I might be able to make it. I can start saving for it right after Christmas. $25.00 a week tucked away will be $1000.00 by Oct. Maybe even bring whats-her-name... (my wife) :lol:

flounderhead59 said:
Man, I was sitting here being all bummed out that there would be no way I could partake in this event and then I realized this is for October 2009. It is a 9 1/2 hour drive, prolly 11 with the boat but I might be able to make it. I can start saving for it right after Christmas. $25.00 a week tucked away will be $1000.00 by Oct. Maybe even bring whats-her-name... (my wife) :lol:

$1000? Are you staying at the Marriot/Hilton? :LOL2:

ACarbone624 said:
It would be a 772 Mile / 13 hour drive for me. I would love to come down with my boat but I don't think its possible and I'm not sure either of my vehicles would make it #-o . Alright, whose coming down my way? (South Jersey) Maybe I could hitch a ride with Jim when he is pickin up Capt. Ahab... :D

If I drive, I will do that. (Depends if I have boat worthy to tow [-o< )

I would love to be there, but that is so far off I can't plan it right now. It is hard enough planning next week, much less next year. If at all possible I will be there. It depends on a lot of factors going on right now.

Jim said:
flounderhead59 said:

$1000? Are you staying at the Marriot/Hilton? :LOL2:

Is there a Hilton? Will Paris fluff my pilows for me?

Seriously, what's gas prices gonna be then? 1000+ miles round trip, gas for the boat, food, lodging for me and the wife (maybe). Plus any tourist crapola she wants to do there and back. I also have a friend that lives in Nashville so I would have to go visit him as well. Besides, any time we go on vacation it costs me a grand. :evil: I think the wife sees that as a goal.

I have to pull the plug on my trip to Dale hollow :( . I ran the numbers and its not pretty, around $500.0 in gas, throw in lodging and food for me and my boy and I'm up over a grand. witch really isnt that bad for what we were planning to do. But I just spent $1500 on a motor upgrade a month ago. And with my job tied directly to the housing and construction markets its just not going to happen for us this time around. Im looking forward to hearing the reports and wishing all that go good weather, safe travels and tight lines.

I haven't followed every post, since it's extremely doubtful I'd be able to make it (short of a lot going different between now & then), but if it's not been mentioned, have you guys given consideration to a campground? I doubt they'd be packed that time of the year, it'd be alot cheaper than lodging, folks would be able to socialize after fishing as well. Just a thought.....

ST

flounderhead59 said:
A campout sounds interesting but I'm not sure how cold it gets in the 3rd week of October in TN.

It's normally not too bad. The weather around here can vary widely at that time of year but it definitely won't be below freezing. Most years it's probably low 50's at night and 65-70ish during the day, possibly warmer.

Bubba said:
What about this resort? Their prices seem to be a little more resonable, looks like they have a ton of cottages, plus they have camping(tent, rv) areas as well.....

https://www.starpointresort.com/home.htm

That one is on the list...Fishincop is doing some serious leg work for this get together and he will have his findings shortly. From there we will channel out a few options and go from there. I can't wait!

Jim said:
Bubba said:
What about this resort? Their prices seem to be a little more resonable, looks like they have a ton of cottages, plus they have camping(tent, rv) areas as well.....

https://www.starpointresort.com/home.htm

That one is on the list...Fishincop is doing some serious leg work for this get together and he will have his findings shortly. From there we will channel out a few options and go from there. I can't wait!

As Jim mentioned, I have been looking at and evaluating several resorts on Dale Hollow for our trip (emailing questions, etc.). As it happens, I will be in the Knoxville area late Ocober this year and plan to spend a day or so visiting and comparing several of the resorts. G3 and a few other members have already stayed at some of the places and I'll be PM'ing them for some thoughts also. I have requested (and already received) some brochures for some of the resorts. The bigest hurdle I have found is that these resorts are large marinas and cater to house boat rentals and annual slip rentals - plus their cabins. They are busy places, not small, private rsorts. Haven't found one that is more personal and private. That being said, I am focusing on such things as ammenities, location, security of our boats/equipment, cost, boat rental (for those that can't bring their own), etc., etc., etc. I have a spread sheet started with (so far) five resorts to compare - more will be added when I hear back from them personally. Looking at some subtle differences like do they have towells - or bring your own; is there a restaurant?; some cabins have bedrooms and "kitchen/Dining" others have "kitchen, dining & living" areas ("living areas means a couch, recliners, etc., rather than sitting around the kitchen table all evening). Are the docks covered? do they have electric? Are they free or additional charge? What type of boat rental? Jon boats, fishing boats, bass boats,etc -and how much? (not everyone can bring their boat). And, more recently, is there a camping area if some choose to bring a tent (or camper)? I think you will will find that our evaluations and assessment of the possibles will be very in depth and cover most everything before a decision is made.

I will funnel this information to Jim for his consideration. We all realize that there are a multitude of opinions and we can't please everyone, but we hope to be able to come to a decsion which is a happy medium and works well for everyone. BTW, I have also had at least one resort offer of a 15% discount for our group - hoping to have more similar offers as our group for the trip gets bigger.

Anyway, just an update on our research for now. I'm thinking a decsion woun't be made until our personal visits in October. Please keep forwarding thoughts, ideas suggestions, etc.... A well informed decision can't be made without input from everyone.....

Wow, Thanks for all the research FishinCop! That's awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with. :beer:

Latest posts