Baptistpreach's 1436 Monark -100% 8/14

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The livewell looks great i saw the lid in one of the pictures
you might ant to thin about a hatch in the lid If that makes sense
so when are adding fish or culling you only ave a small area open

I have had a bass or two try to make the leap to freedom through
the open live well while I was culling

the broken starter rope is a guarantee at some point on old motors. its just a coil spring that has tension on it constantly and after so many years of getting pulled they get weak and break or the plastic housing the spring connects to will break. it will be an easy fix

i just got abunch of outboard parts from boatsportandtackle.com i'd check and see if they have one in stock. i got most of my parts in 2 days and they were very easy to deal with unlike sears direct that told me my parts were discontinued after i paid for them and wouldnt refund my money...

"leap to freedom while culling" that's funny! I'm planning on cutting the hole to match my hatch, for that very reason! I'm also leaning towards just attaching the lid to the section of the deck that sits on top of it (but still cutting a smaller hole for the primary use), that way when I open the whole deck, I open the lid at the same time. The other nice thing about my hatch is that it is just the right size to fit a small bait bucket in, so I can use that hatch to grab my shad or minnows and still keep them fresh

Alright! I did it! I am in to far to quit now. I sanded, primered, and painted my first coat, here's what I did, and where I'm at. Tomorrow morning I'll put on what should be the 2nd and final coat (hopefully).

Attachments

• DSC03074 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03074 (Medium).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • DSC03080 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03080 (Medium).JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • DSC03047 (Medium) (2).JPG
    DSC03047 (Medium) (2).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,098
  • DSC03037 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03037 (Medium).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,100
  • DSC03015 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03015 (Medium).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,098
It is looking REAL good! I love your guys livewells! This year I am going to use the cooler with a recirc pump, and use a regular bilge with hose attached for filling, and emptying/changing out the water. Next season if things stay on the course they are I stay electric only I am going to redo my front deck to make it basicly a bass lake boat. I will be using these great ideas for a more permanent livewell setup.

that is an awesome job - nice job on the livewell too!! :lol:

Thinning that paint is an excellent and almost demanding option - that paint is THICK stuff when you're brusing it. I sprayed mine, so I had to add thinner - it really does go a long way when you do that.

Awesome job!

Nice job!

I am going to try and finish building the front deck, cut the flooring for the bottom of the boat, cut my cubby holes, cut a place for my cup holder and build the support that my trolling motor will mount to tonight. Don't hold your breath............lol.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Looking good! We'll have a nice set of Monarks out there pretty soon. I really like the black, I wish I would have used black steelflex instead of blue on mine, but its a little late to do anything about it. Keep up the great work.

I put a second coat of paint on, and it made a huge difference. Now I can give you a good close up shot of the boat without great embarrassment! I'll show you some sections and give you a before and after.

One other note, these pics were taken after the second coat had dried. This paint isn't just this glossy because its wet, its just that glossy and deep. I'm amazed at how good the paint itself really is. (and no, they aren't paying me to say this.... although if anyone from Interlux reads this and gets that idea... [-X )

Main point here is this: Don't get discouraged after your first coat, it gets a lot better after the second one!

Attachments

• DSC03165 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03165 (Medium).JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSC03170 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03170 (Medium).JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • DSC03082 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03082 (Medium).JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,064
  • DSC03070 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03070 (Medium).JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,064
  • DSC03075 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03075 (Medium).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 1,064
Thanks guys, I've got the trailer almost completely sanded and stripped, and I messed around at Lowe's and came up with the right color for my trailer, I've been dying to paint this trailer but the weather just hasn't cooperated! Finally, I'm getting some nice weather this week, and I'm gonna knock it out! I think that the boat should be done with the final touch ups and the trailer painted and refurbished in a few areas by Tuesday. Then the last touches of wiring and attaching the deck, and (deep breath) a few other small things and it'll be completed!

Cant wait to see the final product. We need to get together and start a jonboat club in Oklahoma.

I'm interested! Although where does a Norman guy get to use his jon boat? I've got Crowder, Vanderwork, and American Horse that are perfect little small lakes! What about you? I'd love to know cause I've got family in OKC and I'm always looking

That is an awesome job on the painting. I will be asking you questions I'm sure when I get to that point. Fantastic job all that hard work is really turning out!!!!!!

Well today "hard work" certainly was done. I finished sanding the trailer and taking the axle off of it. I then moved it back outside and worked on sanding the inside channels of my trailer.... what a pain!!!! I also sanded the parts and readied them for primer, and then finally... I primered!!

Here's the before pics

Attachments

• DSC03174 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03174 (Medium).JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,388
  • DSC03187 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03187 (Medium).JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,388
  • DSC03178 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03178 (Medium).JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  • DSC03175 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03175 (Medium).JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,389
And here's where I'm at as of now. Tomorrow is going to hit 80! and with my class on spring break, I've got some extra time free tomorrow, so this ugly ole trailer is going to look mighty pretty by sundown!

I used a roller for everything I possibly could and then used the cheap foam brushes to fill in the gaps and small areas. I got a quart of Kilz primer, and will use just about all of it, if not all of it finishing the rest off. I've also got new bunks (2 5ft 2x4's) and will carpet them (God willing) tomorrow. I've also got a little surprise up my sleeve that I think several of you will be interested in when I post it, I think its a great and very simple improvement

Attachments

• DSC03339 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03339 (Medium).JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,389
  • DSC03327 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03327 (Medium).JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,390
  • DSC03321 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03321 (Medium).JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,388
  • DSC03320 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03320 (Medium).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,389
Great job on the boat preach!! It looks really, really good. I've got a couple of questions for you.

First, is your livewell sitting right down on the floor of the boat? Is it wedged in the framing pretty tight so it can't move? I'm wondering how that plastic will last as it ages. I'd hate for it to crack when it slams down as you're going across the lake on a windy day. I know my Lowe rides like a log truck in the waves. Man it slams down hard. Maybe one of those mats made for people to stand on concrete for a long period of time would cushion it if you don't already have it cushioned. It may push it too high though and hit the bottom of the deck. Just a thought.

The other question is about your shop. It looks like you've got a nice big shop to work in there. How big is it?

Mike

BP,

Did you use Kilz Original? It is not intended for exterior use. :shock:

Hope it's not a problem for you if you did.

Latest posts