Baptistpreach's 1436 Monark -100% 8/14

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brine, yes I used the interior stuff. Its oil based, so I don't know how on earth it wouldn't hold up, but I figured I'm coating it with a different (rustoleum) paint so it shouldn't matter anyhow. Lets hope it will be fine! :roll:

Mike, the livewell just sits on the floor, it isn't wedged in between the ribs, but I'm going to cut some wood to keep it in place and 'frame' it in. Also, as of now, I'm just electric, so I won't be too hard on the motor, but when the ride becomes a factor 2 things are possible, one is to slide a foam pad under it, the other would be to ... just replace it! its only 11 or 12 bucks for the whole deal, and everything in it could easily come out. But for a rougher ride I'd put some foam or something like it underneath it.
As to my big shop, its huge! Its actually our church "barn" I'd have all the room in the world in it if I could just get all the junk out of it. I've had a couple work days were we hauled out quite a few truckloads of junk, and we've got many more yet to go. When I'm done there'll be a nice woodworking shop in it, and plenty of room!

Well, I got up early and painted this morning.... and well, it turned out different than I expected. I finished any priming that needed done, and I got started painting my trailer burgundy. I had painted all the parts and was done with most of the trailer when my wife was leaving with the kids. I expected her encouraging remarks.... and then didn't say much. Long story short, my "burgundy" was more burnt red, and really didn't match my carpet like I hoped it would. I was so frustrated! My back was hurting from all the bending over, and I was just going to leave it. Trailer still looked really nice. But my wife (who knows me too well) said she knew it would bother me, and I should just go ahead and paint it black. Well... she was right. I ran some errands, and picked up a gloss black rustoleum paint, and went after it. I also picked up some cheap black aerosol paint and I started to repaint. After I finished rolling the trailer, I looked at the "burgundy" inside of it, and was pleasantly surprised! Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it looks really cool with the two colors. Plus that meant I didn't need to brush the inside of the trailer again. So I'm going with it, and my frustration and mistake turned out pretty neat. I wanted my trailer to stand out, and I think it does. Only problem I ran into was the wind really picked up by the time I put the black on, so I got some dirt and leaves, etc that stuck on the trailer, but ITS A TRAILER so I'm not going to worry about it. Here's where I'm at now, just a few small touch ups, but mostly done.

Attachments

• DSC03393 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03393 (Medium).JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,386
  • DSC03401 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03401 (Medium).JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,386
  • DSC03405 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03405 (Medium).JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,386
  • DSC03396 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03396 (Medium).JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,385
  • DSC03403 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03403 (Medium).JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,385
BP.

I worked for Benjamin Moore a decade ago, and we sold KILZ. I remember being told back then not to use it outside or it will fail. That's why I asked. I went ahead and called their tech support and spoke with Natalie.

Here is their contact info if interested.
KILZ® Primers Technical Service:
1-866-PRIMER-1 (866-774-6371)

I told her I had painted it on a boat trailer.

I was was quickly told the "Original" would likely crack and peel relatively soon if exposed to temperature changes and moisture in an outside environment.

Not telling what you should or shouldn't do, just trying to help.

Well Crud,

Sorry, I posted that before I saw you had already painted.

So, forget what I told you above. :roll:

THE TRAILER LOOKS GREAT!!!

Brine....
#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

I guess I'll just wait and see. What's my other option? Sand it all of and re primer? :evil: :cry: :oops:
Just curious, but what would you do here? I should have known better than to listen to a Walmart employee!

Don't sweat it my man!

You just happen to be the one who we all learn from :lol: .

I say leave it for now. You've put a bunch of work into it, it looks fantastic, and if it's gunna fail, it will. Why not enjoy the work you've done thus far for as long as it lasts.

Truthfully, if I were you right now, I wouldn't do anything else. Worse case scenario, you have to paint it again someday. Might as well let that coat ride and see how long it lasts. You never know, it could last years!

I'm really feeling pretty confident about it, with the outer paint being good, so I'm gonna just let it ride! :-

baptistpreach said:
I'm interested! Although where does a Norman guy get to use his jon boat? I've got Crowder, Vanderwork, and American Horse that are perfect little small lakes! What about you? I'd love to know cause I've got family in OKC and I'm always looking
Sportsman Lake in Shawnee, Mountain Lake in Ardmore, I will take it to Konowa, Okemah, Thunderbird, R.C. Longmire in Pauls Valley. I guess Thunderbird is the closest. I will use it anywhere. I just wont run across a big lake. I would fish Texoma or Eufala with it. If you fish a big lake, then you have to disect the lake and decide where you want to fish before you launch the boat. Atleast, thats the way I look at it. Same way I approach a lake when I fish it. It doesnt matter how big the lake is, cause Im only gonna fish a section of it.

Well, I touched up some spots on the trailer, picked up some more bolts after I thought I'd got enough, and I started putting stuff back together. My trailer is returning! Its definitely looking better

Here's the before!DSC03178 (Medium).JPG

And here's the after! I'm off to get some stuff ready for a class tomorrow, but I'm gonna try something "special" on my wheels tonight. If it turns out, its gonna be incredible for little $$!

Attachments

• DSC03430 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03430 (Medium).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,380
  • DSC03428 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03428 (Medium).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,381
  • DSC03421 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03421 (Medium).JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,383
  • DSC03425 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03425 (Medium).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 1,380
My rims were like my trailer, rusty and ugly. I could buy new rims and tires for $120 a pair from Wmart, or if I could make these rims nice, I could save $60 and just buy new tires. I wanted to make my rims look chrome, so I got out the wire wheel drill attachment, and went after it! The rust side turned out to be the easy side, it was the really hardened on grease side that took some work. I had to use my glass scraper to unseat some of it because it had hardened so much. I sanded my rims down and washed them with my son, and here's where they were at as of yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC03418 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03418 (Medium).JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSC03416 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03416 (Medium).JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSC03411 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03411 (Medium).JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,266
  • DSC03408 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03408 (Medium).JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,266
  • DSC03406 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
    DSC03406 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,263
Well, I wanted to "chrome" my rims, but the paint for it was interior, so a trip back to wmart and I found a "metal" paint that looks like aluminum. Anyhow,today before heading back out again, I primed them, and painted! I am REALLY pleased with how they turned out. They really look like aluminum rims! Anyhow, I'm letting the paint cure up and I'll finish the last of one more rim. Nice thing for me is that my tires are so weather cracked I need to replace them anyway, so I didn't have to worry about getting paint on my current tires or taping them off to protect them. I know the final product will show better when the new tires are on them, but I wanted to share these with you, I think for just under $8, it was a fantastic upgrade

Attachments

• DSC03507 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03507 (Medium).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,268
  • DSC03503 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03503 (Medium).JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,263
  • DSC03500 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03500 (Medium).JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,264
They look great. Even better that the little man was part of the process. =D>

They look nice,I'm sure they will look even better with new tires and valve stems.

Well, I got the new tires and valve stems, I also bought new 2x4s and carpeted them. I also went back over my "regal red" interior with burgundy spray paint. The other stuff just looked bad. Now it really does match nicely. You'll notice my bunks have something on top of them, its called "Bunk Slicks". I got these at BPS for $22. They make loading and unloading very easy because they greatly reduce the friction. I've heard nothing but good about them, and I'll report after I use them for the first time, but I really like them thus far. I even took a pic with my wheels on (not tightened, just tension set) to show you what the finished product looked like. All I lack is letting the clear coat dry on the rims, and putting my trailer jack back on and its done! I haven't decided if I'll put lights on it since technically I'm legal as is with my tow vehicle. Anyhow, here it is:
Before:
DSC03178 (Medium).JPG

After:

Attachments

• DSC03541 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03541 (Medium).JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,266
  • DSC03543 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03543 (Medium).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSC03544 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03544 (Medium).JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,268
  • DSC03549 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03549 (Medium).JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,262
Trailer looks great BP! I really like the two tone.

Hey, let me know how those bunk slicks work for you. Are they hard plastic? Any chance they could actually beat up your rivets on the bottom?

I wonder how they would work on a steelflex hull? zoooooooooooooom :lol:

Yes, they are hard plastic, and I guess there is a chance they could be hard on my rivets, I've got to put my boat on and see exactly where they fall (the slicks). I did read something on the website that said don't use on a riveted hull, but not on the package when I bought them - might have been a different model; one reviewer said he used them on his bass tracker with no problems, but I'll report after my first trips. Funny you mentioned steelflex, I was thinking the same thing.

Baptistpreach,
I have only heard one complaint about the bunk slicks. DO NOT UNHOOK YOUR BOW HOOK UNTIL THE TRAILER IS IN THE WATER. I have read where boats have slid off trailers while backing down the ramp. I am usually alone while launching/loading, and I do unhook the bow hook and just leave it tied with a length of rope so the boat floats off by itself when I back it into the water. Others have said that when they tried this with bunk slicks, the boat came off before they got to the water. I'd hate to hear that your project landed on the ramp.

Henry