Brand new 2012 20hp 4stroke suzuki

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my 20hp Merc electric start from this co. back in Dec for $3099 with free shipping. Three days later it was dropped at my door truck freight and he even wheeled it into my Garage!!!! I see they have gone up $200 since but are still free shipping and no tax here at least. https://www.solutiononemaritime.com/49-mercury-portable-outboards-15-hp- I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever but they gave me great service and a fantastic price at the time.

The suzuki looks like a winner to me.Plus you are getting a motor with efi at just 97lbs how can you beat that.I can't see how it wouldn't perform as good as a merc or yamaha in the same class.Just sheding like 15 to 20lbs will help a bit.The site internetoutboards has them advertised for like $2725 now but you can call them and they usually will do a way better price.I'm going to try and get one once i get a good full review of one first.

Usually new motors have some type of kink that needs to be worked out so i will wait a bit to see.I'm not in any rush to buy.I am going to get a new 4stroke probally by the end of the yr.I have a 25hp 2stroke merc now that i will never part with.I want a nice little one man boat that i can enjoy by myself and get into some skinny water and not have to use a ton of gas.The merc is good on gas but not like a 4stroke will be.Now i just have to play the waiting game if i can.

For the 20 Merc non believers here is the video I had posted on Facebook. I think you can watch this one. My first one minute wide open run during break-in.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=395806340433796

Ok I couldn't watch the video because my flash player is not up to date but I will say this. And I mean no disrespect to your 40 years of boating and experience. But I do understand math and physics and the only way for you to hit 32mph with that motor's gearcase and a 10 pitch prop is to turn your engine at 7,265 RPM and have ZERO slip. This is not even possible so something is amiss with your GPS or something.

If you had your engine at its max RPM of 6250 with a 10 pitch prop and I give you a very good hypothetical 8% slip ratio you would only still be doing 25mph. Now if you had zero slip (not even possible mind you) you would only be at 28mph with a 10 pitch prop on a 2.15:1 gearcase at 6250 RPM

It is just not mathematically or physically possible with that gearcase, prop, and that motor's RPM range to even come close to 32mph

I mean no disrespect also on that but i have a 1442 alumacraft that is like 20lbs more then your boat.By myself and i mean bare bones(nothing but the wooden floor i have in it)with a 25hp 2stroke merc i can hit 32mph.The 25hp merc will smoke the 20hp 4stroke in over all speed and belive me i love the 20hp 4stroke merc but i have ran one and they do have a ton of power for what they are but that seems a bit out of reach.

I guess anything is possible though [-o< .
Plus i'm also running a 13pitch prop.Why not make a video on you tube i would love to see that because if that is accurate i may be getting the 20hp 4stroke merc instead of a suzuki for real.No playing games there.I have had my eye on the merc for a long time but when a motor of similar size comes out with efi it's hard not to have a dilemma now on what to get.One thing is for sure unless i can get a pretty penny for my 25hp 2stroke merc that will be a keeper.

I love my merc it revs up like a racing engine and keeps the skeeters at bay so they don't bite the heck out of me.I love 2stroke smoke.

I agree with the math (I am an Industrial Engineer) but two different Gps have verified this speed. Iphone app which is spot on with my truck speedo and a Motorola GPS. Many others with similar setups are running the same which is what led me to purchase this motor over going with the Merc 25 which is much heavier and exspensive. I did a year of research before making my decision and personally did not expect this kind of speed. Like I posted earlier my older 25hp Evinrude only pushed this exact setup 27 tops. Don't know how tired that motor is or the pitch of the prop, but it runs great. I was greatly disappointed that I had to take this motor back in before I ever got a chance to run it for a factory recall about the crankcase bolts possibly not being torqued right at the factory. This motor just touches the rev limiter on occasion but that is not a problem since most of the lakes I fish are idle speed only.(My main reason for wanting 4 stroke) I rarely run full throttle unless absolutely needed. There are quite a few videos on Youtube of the Merc and Tohatsu's pushing two or more people in much heavier boats than mine running 25-27 mph! Here is a link to my boat running the 25hp Evinrude. Note this motor has a 20hp cover but is a true 25 horse motor. Previous owner lived on a restricted lake somewhere in N.C. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=252604171420681&set=vb.100000132995307&type=2&theater

On the Merc - Suzuki thing I would definitely go Zuk! I own 4 motorcycles, 3 boats, 8 outboard engines, 2 generators, Lawn mowers, a 1969 Firebird Drag race car, etc and all are carbed. With this many toys it is just not possible for me to use them regularly and trying to keep them running with todays gas is nearly impossible. Fuel injection just doen't seem to have as many issues after sitting for a while. Stabil etc just doesn't work as well with this gas that may have as much as 25% alcohol depending on how much the dummies decide to blend with the gas at the terminals.
Also the advertised weight is much lighter on the Zuk. After putting my motor on my boat by myself with my bad back I never want to have to lift it back off which is what I prefer to do for winter storage.

He who dies with the most toys wins a major headache and repair bills LOL

The biggest deciding factor on motor choice should be what your nearby dealers will service under warranty!!!!! As I said in my earlier post I had a recall 1 month after my purchase and we have a good Merc service center here. I had looked at the Tohatsu which is the same motor and cheaper price but the nearest service center is 90 miles away. JMHO!

Yes the merc and tohatsu are very close to the same.Same powerhead and i'm sure there is a few other thing on the motors that are the same.On the other hand they are very different which alot people don't realize.That is the ratchet tilt that merc has.That is 100%priceless when it comes to simplicity.I have owned a 15hp 2stroke merc and i just fell in love with the ratchet system.Tohatsu doesn't offer that,it's strictly a merc feature.

The feature is on there smaller line 8hp to 20hp.That saves your back when you lift the motor because once the pin is set you never usually have to move it.That feature will probally do it for me if i decide to go with the merc.

Theoretical pitch speed of the Merc at 6250 RPM. Note - Am going on the given prop pitch and gear ratio I read on these posts.

6250 x 10 x .465 x .0009469 =27.519MPH With zero Slippage. This would only be possible if the propeller was rotating through a solid......not water.
Normal slippage for these smaller engines is around 15% bare minimum.
So..............27.519 x .85 = 23.39MPH
Say what you want.....the math says otherwise and the math is not wrong.
In order to believe this there would have to be alot more pitch, a vastly different gear ratio, or one Hell of alot more RPM that what the RPM limiter will allow.

And some people accuse me of being all technical.....Pappy got it down to the thousanth mph :lol:

I have the same gear ratio at 2.15:1 and my motor had to turn 5850 rpm with my 14 pitch SS to get to 31.8 mph (13% slip)

This will be my last reply to the subject of my boat. I came here to help the OP make a decision and not brag about my boat speed. If you look in the top speed post you will see I also posted the speed of my other boat that should actually run 37-38 with a 50hp is only running 33-34. At 51 years old I have no reason to stretch the truth about what my equipment will or won't do. I had a 1993 Stratos 201 Pro xl with Johnson GT200 that would top out at a Squirrelly 80 mph with just me and 75 with partner and full tournament load. Guess that was impossible also. I expected to lose 2-3 mph over my 25hp Evinrude which was fine with me, just was not the case! When I get the chance I will take my video cam and gps and put up a UTube vid to prove I am correct. In the mean time I plan on enjoying the hell out of my little boat!!! To the OP I hope I was able to give you some helpful Information to make the right decision as none of the motors are what I consider cheap anymore and it is nice to get it right the first time.

Oh yeah and my 8 ft Baby basshunter will run 3mph with my Minn Kota C40 Endura!

The only thing I can think (because I believe you are getting a reading of what you stated) is that your GPS is not reading correctly, you have a different gear ratio than what I think it is (1.75:1 or something), or you are running a 13 or 14 pitch prop. Really those are the only other explanations of how you could possibly hit the numbers that you are seeing #-o

I have know for a fact from speaking to mercury marine themselves their motors usually put out more horsepower then whats avertised on the motor.I have spoken to a ton of people who have mercs and all other brands of motors and i swear it seems all the people who have mercs swear by there power not so much with all the other brands.

I'm just talking over all speed they just seem to have alot of the competion beat hp for hp as far as 2strokes.There is a you tube video were 2 guys are fun racing.One guy has a 15hp super merc which is in general a 18hp re begged tohatsu.The other guy is running a 25hp 2stroke merc and the merc crushes it.Yes they had different boats but the weight of the boats and same amount of people were close in weight.He blew the doors off the yamaha.

Now please don't take me wrong i love yamaha.But the facts are the facts that mercs maybe not all but most seem to have more power then other brands.I was told that even the 25hp merc i have may actually put out 33hp instead of 25hp.Is that true i don't know but it would be awesome.I know my merc will do 32mph gps with just me and bare bones in my 210lb 1442 alumacraft jon boat.I have checked it over 10 times and it stays right on 32.7mph to be exact.That is with a 13pitch prop.I could probally go with a 15pitch and gain a few mph but i think the plane shot will suffer greatly.

I wouldn't even go there as just about everything you just mentioned about Merc and horsepower is simply not the case. By law they are only able to produce and cerfify an engine at rated horsepower plus or minus 10%............period! End of discussion. Manufacturers watch this like a hawk as well and will put an errant manufacturer on notice in a heartbeat. Every manufacturer out there will routinely check competition.
Now, having said that..........years and years ago.........back when the Mercs were Green on top and for alot of years that was exactly what was happening and they sold a ton of engines that way. Those little engines are still sought after these days and are routinely run at antique outboard events all around the country.

Depending on the year of his 25 it could be equal to a 33hp engine because of the difference between crank shaft output and the new prop measured standard. That may be what the mechanic was eluding too. Just like my new 20hp is not much different power wise from my old 25 Evinrude rated at the crank.

Well a newer post 85' or so 25hp would be comparable to a pre 1985 30hp or earlier 33's. And Pappy is dead on.....a motor with a 25hp badge on it can be anywhere from 22.5hp to 27.5hp and there are strict guidelines for this.

Of course Mercury is going to tell you their motor's put out more HP than they badge them at...... oldest sales pitch in the business :lol:

Fact is a 2 stroke HP to HP against a 4 stroke will outperform the 4 stroke hands down. That may change as technology of the 4 stroke improves but for now 2 strokes are still better performers HP to HP and pound for pound. Unless we are talking fuel economy. But the new E-tecs are as good or better than most 4 strokes in that area from what I understand. If I were a man with an extra 4 to 5k I would buy an 25-30hp Etec in a heart beat over any 4 stroke

I have a 1947-48 7.5hp KE4 and a 1956 Comet Twin Silent six and you better believe these motors were way under rated. Neither have run since the early 80's due to availabilty of parts back then (namely water pump impellers) but with the advent of the internet almost every part is now available!!! One of these days!!!!!! Guess these should become my winter projects!

Yes you are right as far as out of the hole performance a 2stroke will smoke a 4stroke.But for top end all hp whether it's 2 or 4stroke will usually have the same top end give or take a mph or 2.I think that most of the smaller engines are the ones that suffer from this,like 30hp and down.

From what i gather most of the 4strokes perform pretty close to a 4stroke as long as their proped right and the tilt and trim is perfect.I've seen the merc 15hp 4stroke in action on a boat my buddy has and i have to say i was more then impressed with it.It got me and a buddy on plane right away,no issues at all.We gps the speed and with all fishing gear added cooler for food and water,a wooden floor we hit 25mph.Also the boat is a lite jon boat but that was still impressive.

Also i'm just passing on some info from mercury marine.The one thing i can say for sure even know i love yamaha a 25hp 2stroke merc will burn a 25hp 2stroke yamaha up.The merc i have tore up a newer 25hp yamaha and he even had a way lighter boat then me.I mean it wasn't like i was a ton past him but as far as out of the hole and getting it going it was night and day.The one thing that for the life of me as this subject has been brought up i'm sure a million times is what makes a merc motor different then a yamaha were you can run a yamaha at 100:1 oil and a merc is 50:1 oil.

I guess that is one of those things that everyone will have an opinion but never really have hard facts behind it.From what i have researched it seems like a 50/50 debate.The thing iv'e never seen yet is someone talking about a failure from a 100:1 oil ratio at least that was 100%proven without a doubt.I read a post on here somewere,it says when a motor has serious problems or freezes up it seems like everyone blames it on oil failure.I can see if you don't run your motor all the times and it sits there could be rust or corrosion building up from lack of use.I can't see that happening if it's used all the time.I have 2 merc books and one sys 100:1 and another says 50:1.

I'm not trying to start any oil war here just wanted to express that it makes no sense the way they are set up.I can't see a 25hp 2stroke yamaha and merc being built out of different metals.It was just on my mind so i figured i would just write it.

Ever seen a Tohatsu Mega 25 :shock: Fastest 25 ever built I believe.... although it was a 40 or 50hp block that was restricted to a 25.

Here is my theory on oil mixing. My Johnson can run 100:1 (I don't do this though), and I have seen motors that were run on 100:1 for 25+ years with no problem. But I believe that some people (not so smart) who couldn't read or mix fuel properly may have ended up mixing their fuel to 115:1 or 125:1 and then you start pushing the limits and end up with a seized motor....especially if you prop your boat wrong and go over the recommended RPM range by 500 or so. The combo of the two is a early death sentence for a motor. Reality is that there are a lot of weekend boaters out there that really know nothing about motors or boating or really anything mechanical for that matter. And it is my theory that people like this probably seized a lot of motors from improper mixing or under propping there motor or both. This lead manufactures to go to the cautious area of 50:1. If you mess up and mix it 75:1 then all is still good right....... This is just my theory though and I don't have much to back it up :lol:

There is no question that running 50:1 versus 100:1 is better for your motor in the long run. That is why people who like to run there motors over the recommended RPM range tend to run 37:1 or 24:1 to keep the motor well lubed. Higher RPM equals more heat and wear.

Latest posts