Brand new 2012 20hp 4stroke suzuki

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scoobeb.....I have an old leaky, 14 foot V-Hulled Aluminum 1968 Duo with a heavy carpeted plywood floor, 45 lbs of gasoline, a trolling motor, a full-size battery, 50 lbs of ice and fishing gear, a 50 lb dog and a 200 lb me. I don't have a GPS but it feels like about 20 mph ['feels like' is based on the fact that I do have another boat with GPS} and I haven't really done WOT because I'm breaking it in. Give me a bit and I might be able to fill you in a bit more. I really hate to say it, but I saved about 1400 dollars by not buying it from my local dealer.

Thanks noengerny for the info.Sounds like you have a real heavy rig going there.Sounds good on waiting to break it in to get the wot speed.I am thinking of getting one with my income tax check.Seems like a great state of the art light outboard with plenty of punch from what i have seen on you tube.The 20hp merc was my first choice but since this came out that has changed my mind a bit even know i still like the merc.The merc has what no other outboard has,a ratchet tilt system that makes tilting the outboad a breeze.The merc has a slightly bigger more powerful powerhead but where talking a 1436 jon boat here so a couple mph won't feel that much different.

The weight dif is 115lbs to 97lbs also_One is efi one is carbed.I will have to give this a ton of thought either way.

Well i got some great info about these motors at the time being.I went to iboats to check if this motor has had any issues and what i got so far from a dealer in my area who keeps in contact with onlineoutboards is that half of the suzuki's are coming out of the box not working and it's related to a fuel glitch and their taking care of it as we speak.The good news is the ones that have come out of the box with none of these probs are outstanding.A ton of these motors get bugs in the beginning and get worked out.

As far as realiability the source said very good besides the fuel glitch they are correcting.I think it's going to be a recall on the 15/20hp 4stroke efi suzuki soon.The tohatsu/merc has way better hole shot according to this source also.The overall top speed is very close as far as i gather.So that is the info i found.The person i talked to said i wouldn't worry about the problem it will be taken care of asap and the motor will be in the outstanding category.So thats what i know so far.

Update on the new 20hp suzuki,from sources that i got from another site,these motors have had problems out of the box with the efi not working properly.I guess it's some type of glitch in the system and the motors are hit and miss.I'm sure that suzuki has fixed the issue by now.The source i got it from is a primary tohatsu/merc dealer but is now carrying the suzuki brand.They tested the suzuki against the tohatsu,the results were pretty close but the tohatsu has more quite a bit more torque out of the hole and was 2mph overall at the top end.I guess not to overwhelming.That is by what they tested,of course on the same boat,persons,fuel etc....Everything was exactly the same.

Now the suzuki did start easier (efi) and also weighs 18lbs less then the tohatsu/merc.The suzuki got a bit better gas milage and ran smoother.The tohatsu is a 351 cc outboard and the suzuki is a 327 cc outboard,plus the suzuki is a 2.08 gear ratio compared to the 2.15 gear ratio of the tohatsu.

This is the information i just wanted to pass on to anyone that is interested in buying one as i am.If anyone has anymore info to add or anyone has bought one since i last posted in dec that would be great if you have anythying to add to this.As far i can see the new 15/20hp suzuki is going to be an amazing motor as all suzuki's are.Top of its class in due time,especially being an efi motor is an awesome thing.

Latest posts